Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Knee replacement....will I be able to sew? >

Knee replacement....will I be able to sew?

Knee replacement....will I be able to sew?

Old 04-03-2011, 04:49 PM

I had 2 total knee replacements last May. I had my sewing machine set up downstairs before going into the hospital. I also cut out the fabric and had ready to sit and sew when I could.

I was sewing at 2 weeks, going out at 3 weeks, and driving my self to PT at 4 weeks. Went to a neighboring state to a quilt retreat at 8 weeks.

Do not fear it. I thought I would be laid up for a long time, but that did not happen, and I did both at the same time.

Jean in MI
Old 04-03-2011, 05:06 PM

I haven't had it done, but know people who have and they say the important part is to do your therapy, and you will do fine. Do you do any hand work at all? This will keep you occupied. Try to remember how pain free you will be! Best of luck to you!
Old 04-03-2011, 06:15 PM

I couldn't sew for a while after my knee replacement. Good luck with your recovery process, and hope the end result is as successful as mine was. I am so happy with my new knee!! My mom had both replaced a week apart from each other and she also is a great success story.
You will need to do your therapy and not keep the leg down for too long a time at first; but it will get better.

I couldn't sew for a while after my knee replacement. Good luck with your recovery process, and hope the end result is as successful as mine was. I am so happy with my new knee!! My mom had both replaced a week apart from each other and she also is a great success story.
You will need to do your therapy and not keep the leg down for too long a time at first; but it will get better.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:18 PM

I don't know your age or current activity level, but I was 57 when I had total knee replacement and I was driving at about 3 weeks. Of course you can't drive while you are taking anything stronger than tylenol, but I drove myself to PT after about the third week. It was my right knee and the swelling can be pretty troublesome for the first few weeks. My foot and ankle still were swelling when I went back to work after 12 weeks. I was teaching young children and I had to be on my feet much of the day. I would think that you could sew at the machine for short sessions after maybe the first 4 weeks. Like I said before, the biggest problem for me was the swelling and the need to elevate the foot. I didn't have much pain, but getting comfortable to sleep was a problem. I wanted to get off of the pain meds as soon as possible because I was having GI tract problems when I took the meds. Wishing you the best and hoping that you have great results.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:07 PM

I have to have my right knee done soon and I have the same concerns. It's good to see all the positive comments here. Maybe it won't be as bad as I thought.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by jeank
I had 2 total knee replacements last May. I had my sewing machine set up downstairs before going into the hospital. I also cut out the fabric and had ready to sit and sew when I could.

I was sewing at 2 weeks, going out at 3 weeks, and driving my self to PT at 4 weeks. Went to a neighboring state to a quilt retreat at 8 weeks.

Do not fear it. I thought I would be laid up for a long time, but that did not happen, and I did both at the same time.

Jean in MI
This is the time frame sort of thing I was curious about...thanks! I have an online custom do rag business and was really wondering how long I need to put the site on vacation.

I've got plenty of hand work to do...king quilt needs binding, EPP project and several pairs of socks to knit. I guess I'll just leave the sewing and not push it!
Old 04-04-2011, 03:21 AM

my first one was done july 15th. the second one this past jan 3rd. you will be doing great in no time!

i have the start stop button on my janome 6600..use it reguardless of my knees!

stay in the hospital as long as you can..for the PT.i was covered for 10 days.
first knee was my right one also..i was blessed to have a driver to take me to PT. Doc said he wanted me in PT rather than having one come to the house. said there was more equipment to use..

my insurance only covered 1 piece of equipment..so i chose the tub transfer seat.

i was lucky to have a cousin that worked in a second hand store, she got me a plain walker,and a nice walker with the seat on it. cheap! she also got me a small tub seat, so i could shave my legs,after i didn't need the big transfer chair. and a toilet seat riser thing..! important! makes it esy to get up and down for those first few weeks!

my husband bought a hand shower thing, and we attached the holder right to the tub transfer seat.. so i could easily reach it.
worked out great.

to help with the swelling, keep moving your ankles/feet up and down while laying down. it pumps the blood up and out of the feet/ankles..

make your own ice pack.this is plyable and will wrap around your knee.

1 part rubbing alcohol and 2 parts water, double zip lock bag it.
( used 2 cups of rubbing alcohol and 4 cups water)

i made 2 of these..ice packs are so important!

we did take pictures..so if your not grossed out by them, feel free to take a look. i will say the bruising and swelling was worse in the first knee,and the second one, went off without a hitch..

https://picasaweb.google.com/strut526/KimSRecovery?feat=directlink]https://picasaweb.google.com/strut52...eat=directlink[/url]

didn't matter to me, i was going to have the second one done wether or not the first one was painfull or not. it is so wonderful to be without pain! count on 3 months for the short term recovery.. 6 months for normalcy.
DO YOUR EXERCISES! the horror stories i have heard from people, that know someone who would not do what they were told to do! keep moving..walking.
january 3rd knee replacement, started water aerobics last week..could of gone sooner..wish i would of. they have a hot tub..really helps loosen up the muscles and tendons. before and after the pool.
Many blessings and speedy recovery!

oh, make yourself a walker tote, while you can! i used it for everything! then i passed it on to someone else..when i was done with it!
Old 04-04-2011, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Deedles
Both my knees need total replacements. That's scarey enough but what in the world am I gonna do all that time I'm recuperating? I've already got yarn to knit socks and I'm hoping I'll be able to sit long enough to sit at my quilt frame. But I think what I'll miss most is sewing.

So I thought I'd ask here if any of you have had knee replacements. If so just what kind of restrictions you had and how long it lasted. I'm prepared to spend the next year in PT but at what point can I get back to my normal 'sitting' life?