Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Knee replacement....will I be able to sew? >

Knee replacement....will I be able to sew?

Knee replacement....will I be able to sew?

Old 04-04-2011, 06:30 AM

Had my right knee replaced a year ago this past March the thing that drove me nuts was I could not drive for six weeks as it was my right knee. As soon as the doctor would let me go up and down stairs I was at my machine which for me was about three weeks. PT wasent to bad had PT at home for two weeks then went for more PT outside the home.
I actually thought the knee replacement was a breeze no more pain as I had so much pain before. Spent 3 days in the hospital. One thing for sure I would never have both knees done at the sametime and you need one good leg to do your business in the bathroom.
Good luck you will be so glad you did it I'm doing everything I always did before.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:37 AM

They say you know when the time is right and I sure did. I had to change doctors to get anything done. First doctor I went to was going to take a month and a half just to read my MRI needless to say I found a different doctor. Yes your whole body seems to hurt my back hurt something awful now I feel great, go for it and get rid of your pain.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:01 AM

I have had both knees replaced. Not at the same time...It took me about 3 months. You just have to pass each day the best you can.............At this moment i am recovering from Mono. I tried to sew & got to tired. I am so bored... So try not to over do. If you over do it will take you twice as long to
get back to normal...

glenna rogers
Old 04-04-2011, 07:05 AM

Congratulations! Your life will be wonderful after your knee replacements. I had mine done, most fantastic thing I could have ever done. Just do your therapy and you will be back to sewing soon. You will not want to be in a sitting situation for long periods at a time at first, your knee will swell. But after a little therapy and some patience you will be whipping those quilts out lickety split!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:13 AM

I have had my knee replaced and can sew just fine. I couldn't sew the first month only because my sewing room is downstairs. I only had 1 week in home PT. The first month is the worst. I still (nor probably ever) cannot kneel so getting down on the floor is a hoot!!! Well getting up off the floor is really funny to watch. Good Luck!!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:19 AM

In 2002, I had both knees replaced, 5 months apart. Needed it done several years before, docs used to tell me wait til I am 60 but at 55 I was in a wheelchair most of the time and in fierce pain. Have had fibromyalgia for 16 years, as many of you know, the pain just explodes and is magnified. I had two weeks of home PT, the pain was overwhelming but I do not give up. Then 3 months of PT at a sports rehab, they had a water tank for exercize and bending, that helped so much. I had to use a cane for the next 3 years as the pain was still horrible.
All of a sudden the pain stopped and I do about anything I want except kneel or run. I have 130 degree flexion in one knee and 135 in the other. I only tell you about my slow progress and pain to let you know that even in cases where it takes a while, the end result is wonderful. Most people I know personally have much less pain, less rehab and don't use a cane for long.
It was so worth it. I was sewing at 3 weeks, distraction is a great pain reliever. I also drove at 3 weeks, by then knew just how the pain pills affected me.
Having your machine set up and projects ready to go as someone else suggested is a good plan. My machine was upstairs and up I went, stairs are good therapy, go slow, I had to do the two feet on each step for a long time and it got better each few days.
Come back and let us know how you are doing. You will have a lot of cheerleaders here, many who have the experience.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:41 AM

Don't know how long you will be able to sit, but--the BROTHER's SQ9000 will sew WITHOUT the foot. It has a button on the machine that will allow you to sew without putting pressure on your knee or leg. It also has a speed control that will help. Get Well Soon!!! :thumbup:
Old 04-04-2011, 08:51 AM

I have had both of my knees done(not at the same time! 1 1/2 years apart) I did have things set up to do while recovering but the first 5 weeks, I didn't really feel like sitting at a sewing machine. I think anything you feel like doing for short time periods as long as you do the elevation and ice (believe me, you will love ice) I hope you have a furbaby to hold because that really helps! Sending you healing thoughts......
Old 04-04-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
MUST ask some of you that have had the surgery. I was told I should have replacement but the doc said "its just not time yet" - I was wondering if any of you had TOTAL body pain from the back of your neck all the way down to both feet - pain meds don't help. Relatives "say" that it could be because my body is not aligned. Alot of times my knees don't hurt nearly as much as my entire body - is that "normal"? thanks
Nancy, first off..i would get another surgeon. are they telling you ,that your "not old enough"? get another opinion.

for me, it was awful pain for the last 6/7 years..i was bone on bone,had spurs,inflamation,tears in the miniscus(sp?)., i could not ride my bike,or on the back of my husbnds, i could not get down the basement stairs etc..
when i went to see my surgeon i have now..after he looked at my xrays, he said " what took you so long?" i wanted to hug and hit him..(he ended up with a hug!) one of the best things that ever happened to me. and would do it all over..
Old 04-04-2011, 12:12 PM

I just had my right knee replaced on the 1st of March. I would have not had a problem sewing, except for the fact that I just wasn't in the mood to. If I am not in the mood I better not do it, cuz I will make a mess of what I am doing. I have been back to driving for the last week with no problems and am doing the PT 2 and 3 times per week. Also am going up and down basement stairs since week 2 and riding a stationary bike since the 2nd week. If you are determined you will do just fine.