Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Knee replacement....will I be able to sew? >

Knee replacement....will I be able to sew?

Knee replacement....will I be able to sew?

Old 04-04-2011, 04:17 AM

I had a total knee replacement on my left knee in July 2010. I was on pain meds for a week, driving the second week, and pretty much back to my normal lifestyle by the end of 6 weeks. I still keep my knee elevated when resting, and sometimes it hurts (not in the same way as before; now it feels like it has a tourniquet on it, if it gets too tired.) I have made 8 quilts (queen size) since my surgery. Watch out for that Physical Therapy, they over worked my knee and inflamation got in it. My surgeon stopped the PT after that.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:21 AM

For faster recovery, DO EVERYTHING THEY TELL YOU TO. this is so important. Every knee bend and lift. Count them! It will hurt, but you will have mobility after. Flex and stretch.

make sure you have a high toilet and grab bars in shower.

I pushed my exercise from the day of the surgery and it paid off.

Jean in MI
Old 04-04-2011, 04:26 AM

Get a sewing machine with a stop - start button function on it and remember to do your therapy so that you don't have complications and you should be fine...
Old 04-04-2011, 04:47 AM

I had my left knee replaced 2 yrs ago. The right one was done 12 yrs ago. I was going stir crazy and thought if I could just sew!!!!! I had pt come to my home and work me here for the 1st few weeks and then I drove to pt. The 1st weeks are the hardest ones. You do have lots of pain to start but it will pass. You won't want to do much either and you will hit that wall of exhaustion that says "Sit Down Now Fool" or that is what I call it. But after a few weeks you will be able to sit for a while to work on things, no pain pills then either. Just know your limit of pain and when it hurts get up walk around and then elevate and ice. Knee Replacement is not the end of all things. You have to work to get it all back but relief is wonderful. Only you can determine what you can do. Don't let anyone else tell you different. Reach for the stars and you will hit your Goal!!!!! God Bless you and Best of Luck. :thumbup:
Old 04-04-2011, 05:51 AM

I had both my knees replaced a week apart. I didn't feel like doing too much the first month. I went to PT for four months and am very glad, that is the biggest help. I have been doing water aerobics three days a week ever since I had my replacements and it helps keep me moving.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:53 AM

what about getting a handcrank machine? You couldn't quilt on it but they are great for piecing. Set it up on a table beside you and crank away!
Old 04-04-2011, 05:59 AM

I had my right knee done about 5 or 6 years ago, coud not believe how much better it feels now, took me a while to get better, but now, it's great and it is my strongest leg. Just do your PT; I had problems getting my leg to completely straighten out after surgery, some have problems getting it to bend all the way, but with PT, it finally gets there, just takes a bit of time & effort. Take your pain meds when you need them and don't worry about it, you heal better when you are not in pain. Not sure about sewing for awhile, my knee would swell when I set with it down; my recliner was my best friend! Keep your leg elevated and enjoy the game shows on TV!
Old 04-04-2011, 06:12 AM

MUST ask some of you that have had the surgery. I was told I should have replacement but the doc said "its just not time yet" - I was wondering if any of you had TOTAL body pain from the back of your neck all the way down to both feet - pain meds don't help. Relatives "say" that it could be because my body is not aligned. Alot of times my knees don't hurt nearly as much as my entire body - is that "normal"? thanks
Old 04-04-2011, 06:15 AM

I think you will do great...it isn't as bad as you anticipate. I had a total replacement on my left knee last June. Went to PT every day for one hr for 6 weeks...an absolute must. By the end of 6 wks the surgeon said I had the best range of motion, 118 deg, in such a short time. Surgery was done June 12th and on July 6th I went to our annual quilt show and walked for almost 2 hours without any aid. I was sewing within 2 wks for about an hour at a time, then get up and move around because of the stiffness. Within 2 months I was on my hands and knees scrubbing the floor (old fashioned, don't use mops). Good luck, hope you have a speedy recovery.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:27 AM

As the resident patient, surgery one month ago!! It hurts! Total knee on left side a month ago. Right knee was done three years ago. Same doctor.

I am doing so much better in this time frame than with the right knee, however, I still can't go any longer than 6 hours w/o pain meds which puts a damper on most of what I want to do or think I want to do. I can't drive or sit at the sewing machine. My eyes won't focus enough to even to read...or do nice Applique which I love. That is for now...my job for now is to do my exercises, go to PT and keep a positive attitude for positive results.

My husband was able to get an authorization for an additional 10 days on the CPM machine and I am faithfully using it. PT two times a week. Each day I am seeing progress in movement and the bend in my knee. I am using a cane when walking outside and I can walk about a quarter of a mile. I can sit with legs down a more each day. I totally agree about tourniquet feeling when my pain pill has worn off.

It has been interesting to read what everyone has posted. I am or have experienced most accounts and find it all reassuring that I am 'normal'.

My mantra is 'patience' which I am sorely in need of right now.