Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
lady wants to move into our basement-seriously >

lady wants to move into our basement-seriously

lady wants to move into our basement-seriously

Old 02-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

No is a perfectly acceptable answer. It is one many people don't like or appreciate, but I think you will be much happier in the long run given the previous encounter. It sounds like she does not understand boundaries very well.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

all my quilt tops and quilts and lots of other sewing stuff is stored in the guest room downstairs. i would have to move all that if my Son and his family come in June anyway.
but moving all that and keeping it where ever i find space-which would probably be in my sewing room would mean i couldn't ever work in there with all that stuff piled high.
i know, i have too much stuff. that's true. but it's my "stuff".
i have trouble cleaning house now and only do it when i must.
out of town visitors are a good reason but a live in relative-not my idea of fun. She's always been an odd ball. i feel sorry for her but really hear complaints from others at times, so hopefully neither my hubby or myself will lose a lot of sleep over this.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:35 AM

Stick to your guns!! NO BORDERS! My Grandpa got suckered in on a deal like this with a relative and it was a disaster. Just the disruption of sharing his space nearly drove him crazy and then when you added in that his border was a night owl and he is an early bird it was awful.

Be nice about it but don't be bullied into doing what you know in your heart is not right for you. You worked hard. You built a life. It is not your job to provide for every shirt tail relative that knocks on the door.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Google Goddess

Hi,

Just say NO and explain to her that you just can't handle all the extra stuff to do. Also besides her dog wouldn't get along with your cats.

Just say NO and just get on with your life as it is too much stress for you.

Karen
Old 02-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Google Goddess

Hi,

Please tell her no and explain this to her:
Also tell her that your Insurance policy doesn't allow boarders, so problem is solved. I was an Insurance agent for 25 years and some Insurance companies don't like others staying in your home.

So this way the problem is resolved.

Karen
Old 02-11-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by SaraSewing
Originally Posted by nativetexan
thanks. i'm 65 and my hubby is 84. we do well to take care of each other! I work full time, even with my back - but that will get better.
my hubby is a hoarder of sorts so our house really is a mess. he wont' throw away anything. you should see how i park in the garage-very carefully!
You have no reason to explain or be embarrased by your own home. It's YOUR home, and you can keep it anyway you want. It's grand that we are all different. I go into lots of people's homes with my Hospice work, and when they start to appologize, I remind them it's their home and they don't need to explain to anyone!
I agree with many of the posts. You have no business taking this person in even though she is going to pay "rent". Just tell her that it is not a good idea for this to happen.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

funny, she would have somethingto say about the insurance thing. she knows all. or her boyfriend does. anyone but the person who is telling her something.
OK, we will be brave and nix her request. keep your fingers crossed! :-o
Old 02-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

If the first time was a success I don't think you would be posting. It would be easy. No is never easy but sometimes neccessary I agree with the no excuses. Just no. And the other relatives can suck it up and take her in if they have issues with her being homeless. There are programs for that as well. I don't have much to do with relatives that will judge me that way. Life is way to short to worry what others are thinking. It is your life.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:53 AM

Great, will be keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

A gentle but firm NO BEFORE she moves in is MUCH easier than a GET THE HECK OUT OF MY SPACE once she is settled.