Land vs. Cell

Old 06-09-2011, 05:50 AM

I would not give up my land line. I think cells are a pain in the butt. No call is that important to have to talk at all times...in the car!!
Old 06-09-2011, 05:52 AM

I wouldn't give up the land line because i don't forget to charge it like the cell, it stays connected and I don't loose it. But if money were limited, I'd give up the land line and just try to be more careful about recharging the cell.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:58 AM

We have both, but use landline mostly. It is bundled with an AT&T U-verse package, but we would keep it anyway. We keep an old-fashioned corded phone stored to use if the electricity goes out. Cells are usually the first to go out in natural disasters. We have unlimited long-distance on the landline phone and use it often. Cells are mostly used when we are away from home.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:09 AM

I just disconneted my landline last month because it became a $35 a month paperweight. There is good reception where I live.

Next, I'm seriously considering disconnecting my satellite TV and replacing it with streaming channels. I hear it's not quite as convenient, but it sure a lot cheaper.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:11 AM

Yes and No.
But will probably stay with both. House phone is mandatory, the cell phone is just my backup.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

we did this 2 years ago- my little brother and his wife have been without land-lines for almost 5 years.
at first it was an adjustment---hey- i don't have to look for the answering machine any more- i don't have to deal with missed calls at home- my phone is with me.

long and short-
we do not miss our land line- we do not miss the bill- we do not miss the answering machine-
for us- it was a good move that made sense- we both needed to carry cel phones for work- and figured why pay for both- if we have to have these- well- lets have these- and get rid of the other-
we do get good reception- have never dealt with a dropped call or out of service issues- i know though that some people do not get good enough reception/signal in their homes for it to work for them-
we had had our cel's for 6 months and knew we had good service before taking that plunge.
out in the woods/hills where one of my brother's live they have cels- but get no service where they live--you can send them a text message which will go through then they have to (leave home) to return or make a call. so---before taking that step i recommend making sure a cel will in fact work as a primary phone...location matters
Old 06-09-2011, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

I have been cell only for a couple of years now.

The only draw back is some people think that I should now be accessible all of the time. Where before if I didn't answer and they left a message on my land line it didn't bother them :roll: :lol:

It is a pain making sure the cell phone is always charged, but I got a great deal on unlimited minutes/texts so I dropped the land line :D:D:D
Old 06-09-2011, 06:32 AM

I haven't had a landline for nearly 10 years now. No cons that I can think of right off. I have AT&T and have never had a problem with it working, even internationally. I also don't have cable - more unjustified expense in our house. I do pay for internet services as I take on-line classes.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:45 AM

No, we still have our land line. Where I live cell coverage is spotty at best. I have to go out to the middle of the driveway to get service. So we are stuck with out land line until service gets better.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:57 AM
mim

I gave up my land line at the summer place in Maine. Got a Tracphone because cell tower service is so spotty here and Trac will use anybodys tower. Pay by the minute -- so when we got cable internet, we got a Magic Jack and have it plugged in to the computer -- no long distance or any charges at all -- about $$ 20 a year after the initial purchase. I like Magic better than Skype because it is easier for others to call us.

The land line company was always coming up with new charges of some sort. -- and $30 a month when not even here was too much

Mim

Originally Posted by sandilee
Have you given up your land line phone and using your cell phone now as your primary service?
We are thinking about doing this.
Wondering what the pros/cons are? Please share.