Last Night's Visitors

Old 09-15-2013, 04:58 AM

They are cute, but we have cats outside & I would rather the racoons stay away. I tried the Moth Balls & they didn't work. We put food & water away at dusk. Any other suggestions to keep them away?
Old 09-15-2013, 05:08 AM

Our daughter's dogs like to drink out of our birdbath, kinda like kids trying something new!
Old 09-15-2013, 07:31 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

tried a loud recorded barking dog?
Originally Posted by TnBecky View Post
They are cute, but we have cats outside & I would rather the racoons stay away. I tried the Moth Balls & they didn't work. We put food & water away at dusk. Any other suggestions to keep them away?
Old 09-15-2013, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by cherrio View Post
tried a loud recorded barking dog?
I know that would work, but my neighbors would probably call the police on me. LOL. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:05 AM

What about a motion-sensor light? We only see the critters at night and they seem to be fairly shy.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
What about a motion-sensor light? We only see the critters at night and they seem to be fairly shy.
I have sensor lights & they still come around. I think it's because a neighbor like's to throw food out for them & any other wildlife, skunks, possums, foxes, & anything else roaming through. We have asked them not to, but they thinks it's funny. So sad or stupid.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by TnBecky View Post
I have sensor lights & they still come around. I think it's because a neighbor like's to throw food out for them & any other wildlife, skunks, possums, foxes, & anything else roaming through. We have asked them not to, but they thinks it's funny. So sad or stupid.
Yeah, there's nothing funny about purposefully luring wild animals into someone's domestic space. Out here, we have raccoons, deer, armadillos, skunks, rabbits, occasional coyotes, rodents, and who knows what else! They're welcome to the birdbath water and the seed, we put out for birds. Sometimes we'll even put out fruit for the birds and the other critters are welcome to that, as well. However, we live in the country and any food offerings are put well away from the house (by the bird feeders, out near the tree line). Does your neighbor think rats are cute and funny, as well?
Old 09-15-2013, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Yeah, there's nothing funny about purposefully luring wild animals into someone's domestic space. Out here, we have raccoons, deer, armadillos, skunks, rabbits, occasional coyotes, rodents, and who knows what else! They're welcome to the birdbath water and the seed, we put out for birds. Sometimes we'll even put out fruit for the birds and the other critters are welcome to that, as well. However, we live in the country and any food offerings are put well away from the house (by the bird feeders, out near the tree line). Does your neighbor think rats are cute and funny, as well?
I'm not sure what they are thinking, I am pretty sure they don't think how they are hurting the animals. Once they start depending on humans for there food the do become a big nuisance. Please don't get me wrong, I love seeing wildlife, but that's why they are called "wild". One of the most beautiful sites I saw last Summer was a Doe & her baby that had found an apple tree. I will share with them, but I don't want them to depened on us to survive. As far as the rodents go, we have a very good mouser outside. Although I don't realy want her to hunt she was a feral kitten that had to survive until she choose us to be her humans. Anyway I will just keep all food & water up at night & maybe they will find another place to go. I really did enjoy your pictures. What kind of camera system do you have? we are looking to put some cameras up around here. Thanks again for sharing & keep the pictures coming.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:16 PM

The coon pictures were taken with our older camera, which is probably now obsolete. LOL It's big and bulky but still works. The camera I use the most, is a Bushnell Trail Camera. Dh picked it up from WalMart. It has night vision and takes stills or movies. It uses a SD card, for memory.

Would love to see your local wildlife!
Old 09-15-2013, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the info about the camera. I do want security cameras with night vision, but I also want to be able to pan & zoom. as my DH say I want it all and he's right. LOL. I don't have a camera that would take very good pictures at night. So until I do I will just have to enjoy yours. Again keep them coming & thanks.