Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
laying in bed around 5:30 and I could hear a coyote we >

laying in bed around 5:30 and I could hear a coyote we

laying in bed around 5:30 and I could hear a coyote we

Old 03-22-2011, 08:45 AM

They are very aggressive, not to be messed with. Even if your property is fenced ... they are cunning predators. I'd rather hear a coonhound any day or night than a coyote !

People who move here to the mountains think they are "cute", they think also think black bears are "cute" and they stop on the Blue Ridge Parkway to gawk at them. OMG. If you get one on your deck 20 ft. off the ground looking into your sliding glass door, you won't think predators are cute!
Old 03-22-2011, 01:42 PM

We see them in town - Tucson - all the time. Also in jour semi-rural town in CT. They run in and out of Tucson via the washes. Most people know to keep their cats and small dogs inside or on leashes. Every so often, some idiot forgets, and I see a coyote dragging off an unlucky pet. If there are coyotes in the countryside near you, don't be surprised if they come into town. They are brazen!
Old 03-22-2011, 05:23 PM

I like to hear them even though I know that when you usually do they are having something for dinner. Oh well everyone has to eat.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:11 PM

I know what it is like to hear strange sounds in the night.I used to have a bit of fun when I was young and brought a date home after going out for the evening. They would hear the lions and tigers roaring and get a bit concerned...we lived next door to where a circus company used to house all of their animals - elephants and giraffes as well. Sometimes the dates would look as if they did not believe me and think I was 'nuts'and run off in a hurry.The keepers were the ones who went to have a look.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:05 PM

haha!! i can see you standing there shaking your stick!! great story!! :)
Originally Posted by patmas57
I also enjoyed the fishing/coyote story. Thanks for sharing! Someone else mentioned how coyotes and also raccoons freak them out.
I always enjoyed spotting raccoons (except in my veggie garden) because they're so cute with their bandit masks, but I did get a fright from one once. My husband, daughter (about 7 yrs old then), and I were camping here in Western Washington, on the Dosewallops River.
It was late evening, my daughter was already sleeping in the tent, and I was sitting by the fire while my husband made a last trip to use the facilities. We had a white plastic garbage bag hung on a tree about 10 feet from where I was sitting (and the fire). I suddenly noticed a raccoon very close to the garbage bag, so I got up (he or she retreated) and brought the bag over to my chair to discourage it. Next thing I knew, that raccoon was marching directly over to me and the bag. Freaked me out!
I jumped up and grabbed a piece of firewood and shook it at the suddenly very large looking beast.
Just then my husband appeared, asking excitedly, "Did you see any raccoons? I just saw a couple in the trees on my way back!"
"Yeah," I replied. "I just had one practically climb into my lap!"
When they're that bold, you don't know whether they might bite you or something. Still think they're cute, though... from a distance.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by jeannie t
I'll take our coyotes we now have had 3 sightings of a cougar in our area in the last week, scares me to death to take out our little dogs at night , yuck!
I'm with you. We have heard for several years now that there are cougars in our area. Have not seen or heard one and I don't want to. I live in NYS. Several years ago when coyotes were just beginning to move into our area I lived way out in the country with my daughter who was in high school at the time. We lived next to my father and mother. Each morning at about 3:00am I would set my hair in these big rollers and head down to feed the dogs and horses. This one morning I felt exceptionally uncomfortable. Never liked going out in the dark and all I had was a flashlight that was acting up. I got the horses fed and the two dogs and started back to the house when all of the sudden a coyote let out a howl just at the top of the hill in front of me. Well I will say this for the truth, my rollers when straight up off my head and I made tracks for the house! I now hear them all the time across the road early in the morning. I love to hear them as long as I'm inside!
Old 03-23-2011, 05:28 AM

I think we had one in the yard.Scared away the dog that comes to poop in our yard.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Connie in CO
I think we had one in the yard.Scared away the dog that comes to poop in our yard.
Not necessarily a bad thing!
Old 03-26-2011, 04:45 AM

never heard coyotes, but when I visited my son in England, one evening, we heard these awful cries like a child being abused. I ran to the balcony to see what it was and there had to be at least 30 foxes everywhere. They were using their mating call. Beautiful animals but creepy too.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:27 PM

Not true for our coyotes in Northern New York. Just the other
night a neighbor lost about 10 guese to a pack of coyotes.
Everyone in our neighbor hood has stopped walking or running
on the roads.

These coyotes are out for blood.

Afraid to walk for exercise in NNY

Flo