Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • laying in bed around 5:30 and I could hear a coyote we >
  • laying in bed around 5:30 and I could hear a coyote we

• laying in bed around 5:30 and I could hear a coyote we

Old 03-21-2011, 11:26 AM

We have one cross the yard once in awhile. They have taken all the land around us and made a bedroom community and poor things have no where to go. Sad. I have two cats and a little dog that I keep in the house. I go out with the dog as we have red tailed hawks and owls too, and little Bellablue is a wee chihuahua and I am afraid they might pick her up and away she would go.
    Old 03-21-2011, 12:25 PM

DD lives in suburban Denver and has a 4 foot fence around her back yard. A couple years ago a coyote jumped the fence and took off with their beloved miniature poodle. They had friends who were in the hot tub in their fenced-in back yard when a coyote jumped their fence, grabbed their small dog and was back over the fence and long gone before they could even yell at the coyote.

DD and family still see the coyotes lurking around their back yard on the other side of the fence often. They now always go out in the yard when they let their new dog go outside.
    Old 03-21-2011, 12:55 PM

I have a friend in Ga that was coming home from a meeting one night and saw one cross her driveway. This isn't way out in the country Ga either. It was in a built up suburban area. She also has small dogs she keeps close.
    Old 03-21-2011, 01:14 PM

A few years ago we had coyotes here for the first time. A neighbor got up about 2 one morning and three of them were walking down the street. They used to come into my neighbor's yard but couldn't get into mine because of the chain link fence but I could see them there. They would wake me in the middle of the night howling from two different directions. It was scary.
    Old 03-21-2011, 01:17 PM

They have come to Florida...my husband and I were having coffee one morning and I look out the window and low and behold there he was....and they will get your small pets, I have neighbors who have lost cats, dogs, chickens etc...I won't let my grandson wander to far away from me for fear the animal might try and snatch him...probably unlikely but not willing to take a chance...
    Old 03-21-2011, 01:34 PM

We have large packs of coyotes here, and they are often VERY close to the house. During droughts, they come in searching for food and water. My Honey went out one night and saw one in our front yard... the rascal got "bowed up" at him, and was quite aggressive. Around here, we call stray cats and dogs "coyote cookies," hence my need to rescue every stray before dark! We also have armadillos, skunks, foxes, rattlesnakes and road runners, none of which are very pleasant!
    Old 03-21-2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
    they are aggressive and not afraid of people...I have them in my yard....they have their eyes on my three cats. That is why my cats are now in door cats unless we bring them out with a leash...
    Originally Posted by pocoellie
    If you leave them alone, they won't bother you, they're not aggressive.
    They are very aggressive to any dog in their territory. We had a husky attacked and mauled, plus one of our large 100 plus lb. Lab went in to the woods here and never returned. his brother was with him and he was scared to death for a few weeks and still doesn't venture far from home.
    Old 03-21-2011, 02:28 PM

I'll take our coyotes we now have had 3 sightings of a cougar in our area in the last week, scares me to death to take out our little dogs at night , yuck!
    Old 03-21-2011, 02:38 PM

regardless friendly or close or not close... I don't want close (((smile)) :)
    Old 03-21-2011, 02:42 PM

thats cause they are all over here in lower SC