Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
laying in bed around 5:30 and I could hear a coyote we >

laying in bed around 5:30 and I could hear a coyote we

laying in bed around 5:30 and I could hear a coyote we

Old 03-20-2011, 07:16 AM

They will take small pets from your yard- My one-time boss saw one jump his fence, take his mini-doxie, and jump back over the fence with it, in a matter of a few seconds.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

I would like chickens, but I would have to have a very secure pen! They steal SILs chickens every once in a while.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:23 AM

when we lived in southern Ca, we had four large dogs, a husky/sheapard mix, a Saymond and 2 malmutes.(a saprano, alto, tenner and base.) and when the coyotes came up our road at night we got the full song, first the coyote song then our little choir 's song, was just too funny. sure do miss those days.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:19 AM

I didn't realize coyotes were so prevalent. Our yard backs up to a conservation center and we have deer, turkeys, bears and other wildlife, but never seen a coyote. I just assumed there weren't a lot of them out there. I was clearly wrong. I'll have to keep looking.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

We have a coyote den in the field to the north of our property. We see them all the time. One got real brazen and walked the property line. We usually know when they are out and about because all of the dogs in the neighborhood are restless. The neighbors have a donkey and a llama - those two will keep the coyotes at bay from the herd.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:51 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by SueDor
Originally Posted by frauhahn
We were in the hottub one night and there was a ring of them in the field next door whooping and hollering-talk about spooky!!! A little too close for comfort, non-agressive or not!!! We sometimes get a single in our yard around dusk.
Plus they were waiting for you guys to get well done!
Sue, you're a hoot!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jan in VA
Old 03-20-2011, 08:59 AM

reminds me of a story!! my super dear friend and i were fishing. she lives in douglas wyoming and we were at fort robinson, nebraska, on a stint with the railroad. hubby and son who was just a baby stayed 'home' in the 5th wheel and jo and i went out for a nite of fishing a few miles away from 'camp' down a dirt road where they had these potholes you could fish out of. so im oh, 30ish? and she's about 45 or so...this was about 14 years ago...i had parked the truck towards a little bridge that seperated two of these big potholes. we had coffee cups, thermos, lanterns, coats, poles, worms, the whole shebang. we heard a pack of 'yodies' as they call em back there, but kept on fishing and laughing. we were out in 'dances with wolves' country and they were miles away. we were in the middle of old stories and laughter when we heard them again, a pack of about 13 or so from their different howls...at about 3am...alone in the middle of nowhere, and they were less than 100 feet away!!!! you have never seen two women jump and run as fast as we did!!! started the truck,blared the horn, had the lights on, and then i jumped out and kept gathering the gear till we got it all and headed back. we still laugh about it to this day! i'm making her a friends quilt now as she's headed in for some major surgery, and one of the blocks has a fish on it for our epic adventure! long story, i know, im sorry! hope i haven't bored you too much but i just had to tell you!! :)
Old 03-20-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
We have them bad here too. My bulldog is affraid to go out after dark if she hears them!
A few years back a lady going out to get her mail was attacked by one here, but he was sick. Scarry though!
I was always afraid to walk to the end of the driveway to check the mail after dark, unless I took my leashed dog with me for "protection" in case the "critters" tried to get me! Raccoons and coyotes creep me out!
Old 03-20-2011, 10:47 AM

We have them here but I’ve never heard or seen one. Last week one was hit by a car in a town a bit north of us. Our yard is fenced in.

We used to see Bob Cats nearly every day but with the building boom a few years back many of them moved north. It's been 4 years since I've seen one but DH saw one down the street last week.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hosta
haven't had one around here for maybe 10 years it was spooky and just then the dog wanted to go out and I was a little hesitant heck I was scared to open the door but I girded my loins hitched up my sweats and opened the door but I had my cane with me to fight it off then my husband says from the sound of it its a mile or two away
:lol: They keep us awake a LOT of nights.
We see them crossing the field behind our house all the time.
(pics aren't the best...was an overcast day)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-172797.jpe   attachment-172808.jpe