Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Leg pain!  Now where did this come from? >
  • Leg pain! Now where did this come from?

• Leg pain! Now where did this come from?

Old 06-24-2010, 07:01 AM

With all your medical problems, GO TO THE DOCTOR!!! Even if you feel like you'll be there every week...SO WHAT!!! it's better than being in the cemetery!!!!
    Old 06-24-2010, 07:01 AM

Do not wait if you are a diabetic. Get into the Doctor or Urgent care. It could be anything from a disc to sciatica to blood clots to plebitis. None of which will go away.
    Old 06-24-2010, 07:04 AM

Not to say that you shouldn't go to a dr., but it sounds like sciatica, which I've had off and on for many years. And I know it's just awful pain! Usually it's caused by a pinched nerve in my back because I have degenerative disk disease. I can relieve it sometimes by laying in different positions until I find one that eases the pain. The one that the dr. recommended is laying flat on the floor with knees bent or feet and knees up on a couch. If that doesn't work, I'll try laying on my stomach and raising my upper body up, propped up on pillows. If that doesn't work, then I'll keep my bottom half on the bed and let my upper body hang over the side of the bed till my head is almost touching the floor. Weird position, but last time I had it that did the trick. Sometimes I have to bend forward and sometimes backward to "unpinch" the nerve. Once you can "unpinch" the nerve, the pain will go away instantly. Hope that's all it is and that this helps.
    Old 06-24-2010, 07:12 AM

Sorry for your pain. I don't know about being a diabetic, so I can't help with any suggestions.
    When I sit and sew, my feet swell up real bad. Someone on another list said she stands when she sews because her back gives her problems. I raised my sewing machine and I now sew standing up. I like it a whole lot better. My feet don't swell up now. Maybe this idea would help someone with back problems?
    Old 06-24-2010, 07:26 AM

I have this problem, my Orthopedic Dr. says it is the tendon or muscle that is over the hip joint. It's inflamed is what he said. I don't recall the medical term.
    The injections he gave me didn't work so now I just put up with it.
    Old 06-24-2010, 07:58 AM

BJ, there are so many things it can be, some of which can be very dangerous for you. Don/'t take a chance. Definetly feel for hot spots or swelling, redness, a sure sign of clotsd, but some clots are too deep for that. I have spinal stenosis , so my sciatic nerve is being pinched to the point that I have neuropathy in both legs and feet. The pain from the sciatic nerve goes from your butt cheek, down the back of your leg to the knee and then down the outside of your calf muscle. The pain can be horrible!
    Old 06-24-2010, 08:03 AM

One time a few years ago, I had pain in the upper leg area left leg so bad I thought I was dieing--I cried most of the time. Finally DH took me to a doc--they gave me something for pain. I got sick from the pain meds. Went to emergency room and they made me feel like I was a druggy just after pain meds. I am allergic to many meds. Anyway they think it was just a pinched nerve. Now my knees are giving me fits. Old age isn't for sissies!
    Old 06-24-2010, 08:03 AM

I would see Dr. if u can. That's nothing to mess around with. We want you healthy.
    Old 06-24-2010, 11:24 AM
    Google Goddess

since you are a diabetic, go see the Dr. now! your body is trying to tell you that something is wrong and you have had lots of other medical issues before,

Do it now! Be Safe instead of sorry!

We care about you!
    Old 06-24-2010, 11:56 AM

Ok I'm gonna sound stupid again but I did take one of my DH's pain pills. It seemed to relax it, which leads me to believe the pinched nerve idea. The pain pill has worn off and the pain is still gone. My leg feels tired like the muscles or tendons or something were so taunt for so long and now are relaxed. If the pain returns I will seek medical help. You all are so sweet to be so concerned! I never realized how much not having insurance was gonna affect our lives. I've had 2 drs. drop me because of it!