Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Lets hear some pet peeves...(probably been done before) >

Lets hear some pet peeves...(probably been done before)

Lets hear some pet peeves...(probably been done before)

Old 01-13-2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
My only pet peeve is children who are holy little terrors! Especially the ones who run around stores throwing tantrums, screaming and wreaking havoc.

Makes me want to smack the parents! lol
I'm with you on this one!!
Old 01-13-2010, 10:51 AM

Me and him... It should be

He and I...
Old 01-13-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
What about people who only look at the picture, then ask questions, never bothering to READ the posts.

I get tired of repeating myself... read the posts before you ask, it may have been answered!
I'm surely guilty of this one!! I aplogize!
Old 01-13-2010, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Originally Posted by QBeth
You should hear people who try to pronounce Worcester as "Wore chester"! We forgive visitors but local newscasters should really know how to pronounce surrounding town names. It is "Wooster." Don't ask me why, it just is.

Yes, it is - in MA. But in PA, Worcester is wor-ses-ter. (I think. Anyway, they pronounce all of the syllables, but I got used to Wooster up in MA.)
While I do agree with the grammar people out there, some grammar is area and culture related and there is nothing wrong with that, we are not all alike. :-D
Old 01-13-2010, 12:24 PM

I must agree with Shadow Dancer. It seems I could be on top of a mountain and some idiot parent will come there with a screaming kid who throws a fit. It never fails, stores, malls, parks, they lurk there waiting for me to arrive. When did parents lose such control over their children :-(
Old 01-13-2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
I forgot. Door to door salesman. I have a sign posted on mine that says No solicting, Beggars or Panhandlers. If I have to answer late at nite it is with S&W. HAd a few bad looking folks wanting gas money & when you tell them that you will take them to the gas station they backoff. You know they are druggies.

OMG, one time a few years ago, I was downtown with Sasha and we were shopping or something. There were a bunch of bums on the street, and normally I don't pay attention and keep walking (even though I do feel bad, some of them are dangerous and I'm not going to risk my life to give a dollar to a stranger, plus, if you give to one, you have 17 others chasing you down). If you've ever been downtown Montreal in the summer on St-Catherine street, you know these people are everywhere, it's not the slums by any means, but most of them just sit on cardboard boxes and have a cup or hat or whatever for passers by to drop change in.
This one dude was really hounding people and he came up to me and was like "I need money, can't you give me some?" I almost NEVER have cash on me, only my cards so I'm usually safe, but we took the bus into town so I had about 3 bucks and change in my pocket so I could take the bus back to my car, and I told the guy I didn't have enough to give out, just for my bus. He was like 'oh, I have a bus ticket, I'll trade you" I responded "No, leave me alone, I'm not giving my money, and all I have are my cards". So he fires back "Well then lets go to the bank, you can give me like, 5 bucks or something"
DO I look like I'm made of money? Dude, back off! And, bank machines only give you 20 dollar bills, duh.
All the while, I keep walking and he's really IN MY FACE, and Sasha is trying to get between us, obviously to protect me, and the guy was just shoving him out of the way. We got to the corner and started crossing the street and he totally was following us! I was running, and he was chasing me with his arm outstretched, and Sasha, who was hurrying across with me turned around and said " Dude, if you ****ing touch my girlfriend, I'm going to leave you in a bloody pulp in the middle of the street". He finally backed off and went to bug someone else, but seriously, who do these people think they are?
This was in the middle of the day, on a busy street downtown with hundreds of people within a 20 foot radius, and this guy was after my 3 dollars I had for the bus... And to top it all off, Sasha gave me heck afterward, because it was my fault for even talking to him. I should have kept going and ignored him.

Most of the bums just kind of sit there, I feel bad for them, but honestly, I work hard for the little money I do have, and I have tons of debt and no assets, so it's not like I have any spare cash to hand out. Sometimes I'll run in to a tim hortons and get a coffee and a muffin and bring it out, but I will never give money, because they just spend it on drugs instead of trying to get off the street. There are homeless shelters and the old brewery mission for these people and help is available.

I can't imagine someone coming to my door and asking for money. I would tell them to get off my property before I call the cops.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
Originally Posted by Lisanne
Originally Posted by QBeth
You should hear people who try to pronounce Worcester as "Wore chester"! We forgive visitors but local newscasters should really know how to pronounce surrounding town names. It is "Wooster." Don't ask me why, it just is.

Yes, it is - in MA. But in PA, Worcester is wor-ses-ter. (I think. Anyway, they pronounce all of the syllables, but I got used to Wooster up in MA.)
While I do agree with the grammar people out there, some grammar is area and culture related and there is nothing wrong with that, we are not all alike. :-D
I'm pretty tolerant of stuff like that around here, it does bother me that some people can't spell and write really basic things, I mean, school is mandatory, and you're supposed to be able to speak and write correctly before moving up each grade in school, however, I'm not going to call anyone out on it becaues half the people who come here don't write very well. Some people I know who are my age and who had the same education as I had can't write a simple message to save their lives, they just couldn't be bothered to learn. I'm not sure how they managed to pass high school english and I feel bad for any employer who has to read their resumé.
Like I said, on the message board, I do notice the mistakes, and I'm not going to say that making typos means the person can't spell -I proof read my messages, and I'm sure I've let some typos, grammatical errors and punctuation errors slip, but hey, we're only human, and honestly, who cares?
Old 01-13-2010, 01:08 PM

OMG, I just though of another one, but I'm sure I'm the only person on here who has to deal with this crap...

In Quebec, we have the language police (I'm not even joking, welcome to my world). Now, you have to understand that while Quebec is a part of Canada, the gov't here likes to think that Quebec is it's own country, we have different laws and different rules that make things stupidly complicated. Canada has two official languages, french and english. Officially, so does Quebec, but most of the french canadians are arrogant ****s (some of my own family included) who think that anyone who speaks english should be shipped out of their 'country', and that Quebec is french and if you want to speak english, get the h*ll out of Quebec. We are allowed to have english on signage, like restaurants, or whatever, but you have to have the same thing written in french, the french lettering has to come first, and MUST be bigger lettering than the english. On top of that, lots of street names and company names had to be changed because they were english. I think the only exceptions were if your product name is licensed in english. For example, Tim Horton's cannot be changed, but they took off the 's. Or in McGibbons irish pub, they had vintage irish signage inside their bar for decoration and the OLF was after them because their signs didn't respect the rules... There are TONS of things like that, every week there's some OLF dude making a stink about something or other.
Plus if you immigrate here, you DO NOT have the option of sending your children to english school. Even if you were born here, if you went to french school, you CAN NOT send your children to english school.

Something else that bothers me. If I go to a store and speak english to the sales person, I expect them to be able to answer me in english (it is mandatory to learn english in school after all),likewise, if I speak french to the person, I expect to be answered in french. You want to work in the public in a bilingual area, learn the bloody language, otherwise you shouldn't get hired in the first place. Nothing bothers me more than asking a question and have the person go "what? I don't understand french/english"
Especially since the question is usually about their product or merchandise, so even if their second language skills are a little rusty, they should still know enough to be able to sell their own product, duh!

BTW, english is not my first language either.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:53 PM

People that are too lazy to search for things themselves. You're sitting in front of the world's largest research tool, use it!
Old 01-13-2010, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
Depression doesn't help either. My dear sister finally had a gastric bypass because of her weight. She is manic/bypolar. It was a long hard struggle.
Another pet peeve: Doctors who are to chicken to say go on a diet. Seems they don't want to dicuss this with patients anymore. Hey I wasn't picking on fat people but when I see them I just wonder why they buy all that junk instead of some decent food. I'm also not skinny either but I try to watch my calories. Didn't mean to make you mad Lisanne.
I appreciate your not intending to make me (or the other overweight people here - there are plenty of us on this board, but most aren't going to speak out) upset.

I see your point, though if you look more closely, you might find that many of them buy nutritious food as well as the junk. Then again, some people just eat junk food. But getting peeved about it? Well, you certainly have the right.

Of course obesity has multiple causes. Depression can make it worse, but then again, depression can be caused by obesity. I hope your sister's bypass has helped her.

I agree with you completely about doctors who are afraid - or too locked into their 15-minute appointment schedules - to really push dieting with their patients. Not just "You're fat, you should lose weight," but "You have this condition and this condition, and these are going to get worse unless you lose this weight, and let's address what's making it hard for you to do so."

And let me add to that doctors who see every health issue as related to, or a result of, obesity (or being female, or getting older). Doctors really need to look past that and consider all possibilities, just as is done for a slim, active (young, male, whatever) patient.