Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Lets hear some pet peeves...(probably been done before) >

Lets hear some pet peeves...(probably been done before)

Lets hear some pet peeves...(probably been done before)

Old 01-30-2010, 09:24 PM

And where on earth did the term "baby daddy" come from??? It irks me everytime I hear it. It seems to be everywhere. I always wonder how stupid stuff like this gets started.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Originally Posted by Gaijin
How about some pet peeves from here in Japan?

-Sitting on the train between two older men who just put out cigarettes and smell like ashtrays. I bring filtering masks in my purse just for this purpose.
I love this! Do people commonly use filtering masks to filter out smoke? I no longer regularly take the train, but when I am in a situation where someone is reeking of smoke, I get up and move. And if they think I'm rude for doing so, well, I think they're ruder for exhaling the smoke from their lungs into my airspace. (And this can go on for quite a long time after they actually took their last puff.)
HUH???? First I've heard of this, How long have you been smoking???
Gaijin, I really liked all the rest of your post, too.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Gaijin
How about some pet peeves from here in Japan?

-Sitting on the train between two older men who just put out cigarettes and smell like ashtrays. I bring filtering masks in my purse just for this purpose.
I love this! Do people commonly use filtering masks to filter out smoke? I no longer regularly take the train, but when I am in a situation where someone is reeking of smoke, I get up and move. And if they think I'm rude for doing so, well, I think they're ruder for exhaling the smoke from their lungs into my airspace. (And this can go on for quite a long time after they actually took their last puff.)
Gaijin, I really liked all the rest of your post, too.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 01-31-2010, 05:19 AM

Haven't had time to read through all of the posts yet, but I need to vent!

We have two bathrooms in our house. Kids are gone, so works well - one for each of us ;)

The one that is "mine" is off of the kitchen/family room. DH sometimes uses it if closer. Okay, I can handle that. But he puts the darned lid down every single time, and has only started that in the last year. I HATE it. We never put them down before, not when the kids were tiny (I watched them, so nobody ever got to play in it or be in danger), cat doesn't drink out of it.

He does not put the one in "his" bathroom down. Just mine. I've asked him not to, I've made him go back and put it up, I've slammed it up myself... Why does he do this when I am at a point in my life when my bladder is a little, um, weak? Getting in there can be a real emergency sometimes, having to bend over and put the lid up wastes a valuable nanosecond - not to mention the bending...

Sorry, it really PISSES me off (pun intended).
Old 01-31-2010, 06:57 AM

I think we all know the feeling......
or should I say, the little "advanced in age ones"
Old 01-31-2010, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
Haven't had time to read through all of the posts yet, but I need to vent!

We have two bathrooms in our house. Kids are gone, so works well - one for each of us ;)

The one that is "mine" is off of the kitchen/family room. DH sometimes uses it if closer. Okay, I can handle that. But he puts the darned lid down every single time, and has only started that in the last year. I HATE it. We never put them down before, not when the kids were tiny (I watched them, so nobody ever got to play in it or be in danger), cat doesn't drink out of it.

He does not put the one in "his" bathroom down. Just mine. I've asked him not to, I've made him go back and put it up, I've slammed it up myself... Why does he do this when I am at a point in my life when my bladder is a little, um, weak? Getting in there can be a real emergency sometimes, having to bend over and put the lid up wastes a valuable nanosecond - not to mention the bending...

Sorry, it really PISSES me off (pun intended).
ROFL!!!
Old 01-31-2010, 08:13 AM

[quote=Baren*eh*ked_canadian][quote=peaceandjoyI am at a point in my life when my bladder is a little, um, weak? .[/quote]

OMG! I am sooo glad I'm not the only one who can't hold her "own" any longer. Obviously, dh isn't hearing you or rather, listening, :roll: to you. So, tape a big sign on the inside of the lid in big bold letters and make sure you address it specifically to him. Hopefully, his vision is better than his hearing. My dh is wonderful about not leaving the seat up, which is positively one of his best traits. However, when I visit my kids I've been known to fanny fall in the bowl when I'm rushing and forget to look.

You have my sympathy.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
The comment at the bottom was inserted into the quote of my post. I assume the tags were just forgotten, because I didn't say that.

Jingleberry, if that was you asking that, maybe you misunderstood? I don't smoke. The peeve is that secondhand smoke is constantly forced on me by smokers who have a lot of smoke still in their lungs long after they finish their cigarette and continue to exhale it out into the airspace of everyone around them.

Or actually, I guess in that post, the peeve is that smokers think I'm rude for moving away (without fuss) from their carcinogenic pollution of the air I'm breathing.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:53 AM

What amazes me about cigarette smoke (other than that people are that rude) is when I'm behind a car with a smoker in it. Windows are up (winter, or summer w/ ac on) and you can still smell it. PEEEUUUU.

Okay, the other thing that amazes me is that people think they either don't smell like smoke :shock: OR that they can cover it up by spraying on lots of ... something -usually something cheap and bad.

One of the upper level admins in the district I work in smokes. Smoking not allowed on school grounds. But she smokes while driving to meetings at other buildings. Then sprays on the old cologne. Literally old, I think.

One day she was waiting in our office for a meeting and one of the other secretaries said, "What is that smell? Have they been spraying for bugs?" :XD:
Old 01-31-2010, 01:48 PM

What amazes me about cigarette smoke (other than that people are that rude) is when I'm behind a car with a smoker in it. Windows are up (winter, or summer w/ ac on) and you can still smell it. PEEEUUUU.
Windows are UP???? One of my peeves is that even in the dead of winter, most smokers keep their windows open so they can hang their cigarettes out the window and give the bad air to the rest of us rather than keeping it in their cars.

One of the upper level admins in the district I work in smokes. ... One day she was waiting in our office for a meeting and one of the other secretaries said, "What is that smell? Have they been spraying for bugs?" :XD:
LOL, I love that! I so wish people would recognize that a strong smell doesn't usually cover up another one, whether it's breath mints or cologne. It just adds another odor. And frankly, strong cologne makes me just as sick as cigarette smoke, even if I like the scent of the cologne.