Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Lets hear some pet peeves...(probably been done before) >

Lets hear some pet peeves...(probably been done before)

Lets hear some pet peeves...(probably been done before)

Old 01-30-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
Originally Posted by Clothfiend
Lastly, but not least, I cannot abide people who tailgate. It is an extremely dangerous practice and causes horrendous accidents.
This irritates me to no end too! I had a guy who persisted in tailgating, didn't matter if I sped up, he seemed to be having an ongoing affair with my back bumper. After an hour of this he finally signaled to turn into a service station and I was just hot enough under the collar by then that I turned in too! I jumped out of my truck and marched up to him and told him, "If you are going to ride my butt, the least you could do is pull my hair!!!"

He kind of smiled and introduced himself...he was the new Pastor of one of the churches where I lived!!! Boy did I feel like an idiot!! Now I just find a place to pull off and let anyone tailgating me go ahead... LOL
OH THE COLOR RED SHONE ON THY FACE !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2010, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
Originally Posted by Lisanne

LOL, when I was a kid, I did much the same thing with the Jewish (Yiddish) word "schmuck." I thought it just meant "hopeless loser" or "jerk." In fact, I'd heard others use it affectionately, as in, "He's such a schmuck, ya just gotta love him." Was I surprised to find out it meant, uh, dick.
OMG, I did not know that!
I've never used that word, but I have heard it used... I thought it meant something along the lines of hoser or something like that, lol!
Funny thing, I went to look up the exact meaning of "hoser" and double-checked "schmuck." Was highly amused at the second definition and also got yet another clarification on the first def.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=schmuck
Old 01-30-2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
Originally Posted by Clothfiend
Lastly, but not least, I cannot abide people who tailgate. It is an extremely dangerous practice and causes horrendous accidents.
This irritates me to no end too! I had a guy who persisted in tailgating, didn't matter if I sped up, he seemed to be having an ongoing affair with my back bumper. After an hour of this he finally signaled to turn into a service station and I was just hot enough under the collar by then that I turned in too! I jumped out of my truck and marched up to him and told him, "If you are going to ride my butt, the least you could do is pull my hair!!!"

He kind of smiled and introduced himself...he was the new Pastor of one of the churches where I lived!!! Boy did I feel like an idiot!! Now I just find a place to pull off and let anyone tailgating me go ahead... LOL
I don't actually get this. Pastor or not, what was his justification for tailgating you? And did he apologize? I don't see any reason for you to feel like an idiot, even if he was charming and humble and had a perfectly good reason. (Was he driving on fumes of gas and afraid he'd run out before getting to the gas station? Still not a reason to at least allow a car length or two between your cars. Still no reason for you to feel bad at all.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:09 PM

Funny thing, I went to look up the exact meaning of "hoser" and double-checked "schmuck." Was highly amused at the second definition and also got yet another clarification on the first def.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=schmuck[/quote]

I bet google had a rush of inquiries with that last one !!!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2010, 12:21 PM

OMG! I didn't know that's what that word meant either, but my best friend growing up is Jewish and I don't think I've ever heard her use that word - gee, I should have know it wasn't nice. She always called me a mentsh, which if you're jewish you know means nice things about you as a person.

On the other hand, Shadow - you had absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about - that minister should have practiced what he preached - as a "driver," he definitely falls under the category of sch---- not mentsh! Shame on him!
Old 01-30-2010, 04:25 PM

Hope he's a better pastor than driver.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:54 PM

How about the drivers who cut in front of you, causing
you to hit your brakes, then they slow down. Or the
morons making a right turn from the far left lane. Not to
mention the morons running red lights. Or the ones with
their turn signals on and never make a turn for 10 miles.
ARGGGGGH.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:58 PM

I have to shop in a wheelchair because of polio. People act like I'm not even there. They reach over my shoulder or knock me in the head trying to reach because I'm going too slow to suit them.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:12 PM

That's just not nice Mary. Sorry for all those rude people.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by JJs
I think I have another pet peeve - in fact, I know I do....
atrocious spelling and incorrect English! Their, there, your, you're, we're, were, here, hear, to, two, too, basic stuff that we all learned in GRADE school. People have a major tendency to claim that it "doesn't matter, people know what you mean". Do they? I went to school in two different states and both taught English, Spelling, Grammar, all through grade school and high school - all required subjects. Why would anyone who went through school be so willing to post in a public forum and not make at least an effort to check their spelling? Why show the whole world that you don't care about how you present yourself? Who decided that "spelling doesn't count"?

I see major mistakes on news broadcasts, in newspapers, on billboards - it's getting ridiculous....

Off my soapbox now...... (and let's all hope I didn't make any spelling errors LOL)
This is my pet peeve also. If I see a business with a misspelled word or improper grammar on a sign, I DON'T want to do business there. Nowdays people think if they just use "spell check", they are fine. I've gone so far as to go in and tell the business owner!