Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Lets hear some pet peeves...(probably been done before) >

Lets hear some pet peeves...(probably been done before)

Lets hear some pet peeves...(probably been done before)

Old 01-11-2010, 07:22 PM

LOL somone who uses the last of the toilet paper and the roll and does not replace it with a new roll
Old 01-11-2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
Mine is hearing Massachusetts, and February mispronounced ...
So, do tell, what is the correct pronunciation? I've always said "Mass-uh-choo-sess."

And for February, I was taught that we say it "Feb-u-air-ee" - specifically, that the "r" is not pronounced. But so many people say the "r" that now I do, too. So which way is correct?
Old 01-11-2010, 07:38 PM

i never heard those two pronunced wrong much but even tv announcers get buena vista wrong or my maden name wrong bainbridge
Old 01-11-2010, 07:56 PM

"Cliques". We have 4 girls at work who think they are so special. They baby each other, go out of their way to be kind and considerate of each other, very friendly to each other, offer to come in early or work for one or the other, etc etc etc......but they treat everyone else like dirt. Very rude, incosiderate, gossip and make up lies about others, etc etc etc. And then have the audacity to bring up in staff meetings that there are cliques in our office who need to grow up.....Give me a break....we know who needs to grow up.

My dad raised me to believe that you are no better than anyone else and never ask someone to do something you would not be willing to do yourself. My grandma said "If you can't say something nice about someone, keep your mouth shut."

If everyone lived by the scripture....Do unto others as you would have them do unto you", this world would be alot better place.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by gramqlts
My dad raised me to believe that you are no better than anyone else and never ask someone to do something you would not be willing to do yourself. My grandma said "If you can't say something nice about someone, keep your mouth shut."

If everyone lived by the scripture....Do unto others as you would have them do unto you", this world would be alot better place.
Amen!

My mother also raised me not to say anything if you can't say something nice. Do unto others ... is one of the best sayings ever.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:00 PM

to people that have nothing good to say i just look at them and say god be with you
Old 01-11-2010, 08:01 PM

I have many pet peeves.

1. Being lied to. Just level with me. Just be honest.

2. Businesses that have answering systems that never give you the option to talk to a person. You know, "Press 1 if you want to...; press 2 if you want to..." but none of those lead to anything but more automation. Dialing 0 no longer gets you to a person in these systems. Pressing nothing gets you "We are unable to direct your call." and the call is disconnected.

3. Overseas customer service and tech support. They are fantastically polite, but they have no understanding of how to help for more than the most routine inquiries - and I don't need to call for routine things. Hey, I paid an American price for an American product - so I want American service. Can't "vote with my feet" if every company's doing this.

4. Those grocery baskets with the car attachments for kids to ride in. They take up a ton of space, and parents seem to feel they have a special right to make 180 (or 360) degree turns in them and everyone else should stop what they're doing and move their own carts out of the way so they have more room...

5. Being unable to find 100% cotton clothes. I don't like stretch fibers woven into everything I wear. Underwear was stretchy where it needed to be before Spandex was ever invented. Denim doesn't feel like denim with the 1% stretch fibers in it. On and on.

6. Which leads me to my quilting peeve: It's very hard to find 100% cotton thread, and the good brands are ridiculously expensive. How hard is it to make decent quality all-cotton thread?

7. On the English language front, I so hate it when people write "alot." It's two words - "a lot" = and we all learned that in first grade!

8. Employers who give you their full contact information at the nterview, invite you to call to follow up, and then won't take your calls or return them. Hey, just tell me you hired someone else. Or have the secretary or HR say the job was filled. And don't invite me to call in the first place if you're not going to talk to me.

9. Twentysomething interviewers who "love" my skills and experience, but hire some other twentysomething for "fit" meaning they found the younger person someone they'd rather hang out with after work.

10. Smokers who hang their cigarette arms out of their cars so I can't open my car window to enjoy fresh air.

11. Smokers who litter their butts. There should be some equivalent of pooper scooper laws for this.

12. People who stand in the doorway while they're holding the door open for you, so you have to squeeze past, then get angry when you suggest they just go through.

13. I was just about to write one last peeve, and it slipped my mind. No, it wasn't forgetfulness, though.... <sigh>
Old 01-11-2010, 08:19 PM

One of my biggest pet peeves is someone who drives really slow on the highway and holds everybody else up. Why can't they pull over and let the other cars pass? This really bugs me.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:27 PM

How about those idoits that don't get their behinds out of the right of way & into the turning lane.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:36 PM

Oh yeah, I remembered my baker's dozenth (is that a word? I know it's not) pet peeve.

Being told to relax or calm down when I'm ... shall we say, peeved. How about just hearing me out? How about focusing on why I'm upset?

Especially if you're a customer service rep and that's your job. If I'm not shouting - and speaking with an emotional or even an angry tone of voice is not the same as shouting - and I'm not cursing you out, telling me to relax or calm down may well escalate the level of my voice and my agitation.