Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Lets hear some pet peeves...(probably been done before) >

Lets hear some pet peeves...(probably been done before)

Lets hear some pet peeves...(probably been done before)

Old 01-11-2010, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by pookie ookie

Edit: Another one. I prefer anyway to anyways.
I agree with this one! As an English teacher, this has to be right up there. Anyways is not a word. You won't find it in the dictionary either.

I think my biggest pet peeve is being called "Miss" by my students. My name is Misty and having students call my "Miss" is like a derivative of my first name. Not only that, but it is laziness on their part. I learn their names; they need to learn mine (Mrs. Monreal) and use it.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:27 PM

I have pulled up next to policemen who are on the cell phone...who is arresting them for breaking the law here in California?
Old 01-12-2010, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Admin
Mine is people posting in the wrong section of the forum.
LOL. Sorry. Couldn't resist.
I think I got it Admin
:roll:
Old 01-12-2010, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Admin
I think I have only done that once...lesson learned!
Initially, she posted this thread in the Main section. That was the funny part for me.
explain please, NO I mean it explain...this was really non quilting
wasn't it???

My face is red, not I get it, sorry :oops:
Old 01-12-2010, 05:57 AM
JJs
Banned

I think I have another pet peeve - in fact, I know I do....
atrocious spelling and incorrect English! Their, there, your, you're, we're, were, here, hear, to, two, too, basic stuff that we all learned in GRADE school. People have a major tendency to claim that it "doesn't matter, people know what you mean". Do they? I went to school in two different states and both taught English, Spelling, Grammar, all through grade school and high school - all required subjects. Why would anyone who went through school be so willing to post in a public forum and not make at least an effort to check their spelling? Why show the whole world that you don't care about how you present yourself? Who decided that "spelling doesn't count"?

I see major mistakes on news broadcasts, in newspapers, on billboards - it's getting ridiculous....

Off my soapbox now...... (and let's all hope I didn't make any spelling errors LOL)
Old 01-12-2010, 06:02 AM

I swore I hit "General Chitchat" but guess not...not awake probably LOL

I think the winners are unruly Kids, cell phones and bad drivers....I agree with all of them
Old 01-12-2010, 06:09 AM

to err is human-my pet peeve is everone thinking that everone is the same i am brain damaged and had to learn a lot all over again i guess my pet peeve is those that are so stupid to think everone should meet up to there standards
Old 01-12-2010, 06:11 AM
Administrator

My face is red, not I get it, sorry
Don't worry about it :)
Old 01-12-2010, 06:12 AM

many pople have no understandinng of other the secon part of that quote is forgive is devine i forgive you
Old 01-12-2010, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by JJs
I think I have another pet peeve - in fact, I know I do....
atrocious spelling and incorrect English! Their, there, your, you're, we're, were, here, hear, to, two, too, basic stuff that we all learned in GRADE school. People have a major tendency to claim that it "doesn't matter, people know what you mean". Do they? I went to school in two different states and both taught English, Spelling, Grammar, all through grade school and high school - all required subjects. Why would anyone who went through school be so willing to post in a public forum and not make at least an effort to check their spelling? Why show the whole world that you don't care about how you present yourself? Who decided that "spelling doesn't count"?

I see major mistakes on news broadcasts, in newspapers, on billboards - it's getting ridiculous....

Off my soapbox now...... (and let's all hope I didn't make any spelling errors LOL)
For some CRAZY reason, we are no longer teaching spelling in upper grade levels. We are not allowed to drill grammar at all. Worksheets to teach punctuation, capitalization, and syntax are a thing of the past. I am so disgusted with how limited I am in being able to teach my students proper grammatical skills. We focus on the ideas and the content, not on whether they can spell correctly. When I talk about the need for more grammar being taught, I am told to work with each kid individually on the errors they need to correct. Hello... have you seen my class of 37 kids? How am I supposed to sit down with each kid individually and teach them grammar? What do I do with the other 36 seventh graders while I am working with one? Well, I am told that if I was a better teacher, my students would be sitting there actively engaged with their writing while I could talk to individual students. In fourteen years of being in classrooms, I have never seen a teacher able to do that for more than about ten minutes. I shudder to think about what our next generation is going to do to the English language since they don't seem to care if they can use it correctly or not.

My own children are not going to a public school because it seems we are about making the kids feel good about themselves, not providing a quality education. It is worth the $10,000+ I pay a year (just for grade school) to give them a chance to get a quality education.