Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Linda....About Those Cupcakes.....Halarious! >

Linda....About Those Cupcakes.....Halarious!

Linda....About Those Cupcakes.....Halarious!

Old 08-23-2014, 07:56 AM

This brought back some really good memories. I raised my son on my own so there was no one to mimic. But that boy could could really try to negotiate a deal. There were a lot of times I would have to leave the room so he did not feel like I was laughing at him. But I feel that by not spanking or yelling as so many parents do that this taught him the fine art of compromise as an adult. And now when his 3 girls try to negotiate deals that he is able to understand where they are coming from and there is no spanking or yelling. Kids are people,too. They think and feel and have opinions and as parents we should take the time to listen and hear them Children learn by example So be careful what example you give them. If you make it impossible for them to talk to you as children you will never know what they are into as teenagers.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:41 AM

"If you make it impossible for them to talk to you as children you will never know what they are into as teenagers."

Amen to that stitchit123. This little guy had the opportunity to express himself and his opinions in his best 3 yr. old way, however, the mother dictated the outcome. The discussion was over and he did NOT get a cupcake. I'd say she was in control.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:43 AM

If my kids had called Carol instead of mom I would have ignored them. And my kids knew that if I said no, and they kept it up it would be no for a long time. To many parents want to be their kids "friend" today and kids have no respect for adults because they know they can push their way into getting what they want because it is easier to finally give in than hold firm. Doesn't mean you can't talk to them, but as the parent we have final say. And many of today's kids want things that are bad for them, thanks to TV and their friends.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:53 AM

I had to giggle about this, I posted the same video back in March and got the same reaction as this thread.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...y-t242979.html

I too don't like the way he is talking to his Mom. But, it is funny how he is stating his case for cupcakes.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:52 PM

[QUOTE=RobertaMarie;6854330]From me, an 81 year old grandmother, I think this kid's dad has been showing him a bad example when arguing with his wife!! I would give that kid a "time out" and have a good talk with the dad. Yes, it is funny to watch, but would you want to live with a kid like that? Not me!![/QUOTE

Once upon a time I didn't believe in spanking. Then I started volunteering at an elementary school and then taught 7th graders for a year. I can guarantee that a spanking would do a lot of kids and society a lot of good. froggyintexas
Old 08-23-2014, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by onaemtnest View Post
Oh my, remembering "Kids Say The Dar nedest Things" with Art Linkletter....I would say this YouTube was up there just as funny.

I'm by no means a young mother our kids are middle age, both were at times as gregarious as this little guy on the video. Both of our kids grew up respectful and obedient and now have professional careers. I still chuckle out loud at some of the conversations I had with them when they were developing their personalities.

It's so easy to sit in our golden years and be critical of how the 'younger' generation is raising their kids, just as our parents may have been critical of how we were raising our kids. I guess I choose to laugh with a more open mind, than to find fault in others parenting skills. JMHO....
I hear u ,but do u watch the news? They need HELP. JMHO
Old 08-23-2014, 08:21 PM

I am of the "because I said so and there will be no further 'discussion'; do you understand?" type of parenting. My 3 children and 4 step children understood and when a parent gave a response to a question there would be no further discussion unless the parent chose to further explain or listen to further arguments from the child. All were spanked when they needed it and punished (and rewarded) suitably. They all grew up to be respectful adults and quite successful as well. They raised their children in a slightly less restrictive circumstance but then none of them had 7 teenagers all within 5 years of each other, either!
Old 08-23-2014, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jennie and Me View Post
I would have had a very hard time keeping a straight face! But I do have to agree...he definitely needs discipline. A good spanking never hurt any child. I cringe when I hear parents giving in to their screaming child. And ( IMHO ) that's what's wrong with today's kids. They respect no one.
I have to disagree, as my own son was injured by a spanking from his father. He ended up with 6" diameter bruise on the back of his thigh that was so severe it was there for months! I cringe inside at the pain involved, just remembering it, and it happened almost 40 years ago.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:30 PM

This is one of those really CUTE things kids do, that turn into nightmares if allowed to go on after only one episode. The kind of thing that says to you (when the kid is a teen-ager) "Why did I ever think that was cute?"
Old 08-24-2014, 03:26 PM

I had seen this before... it is so cute... Kids... you gotta love um