Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
The lives and loves of 18" dolls >

The lives and loves of 18" dolls

The lives and loves of 18" dolls

Old 07-23-2013, 09:25 PM

Default The lives and loves of 18" dolls

I've noticed that quite a few of us make clothes for 18" dolls, the American Girl dolls are probably the best known. but there are lots of others, even a boy! i have been collecting these dolls since my daughter grew out of them, and i grew into them! LOL! they are lots of fun, and those of you who are grandmothers to just the right age girls are probably being begged to make clothes. they are not difficult, just a little smaller than ours, but thank goodness, not as small as barbie's clothes!!
I have asked Patrice if we can have a thread that just keeps on going, where we can post the items we've made, and talk about the dolls, the children, and anything 18" dollish. if you enjoy these dolls i hope you will join us. did you know that fancy nancy wears the same size clothes as AGs? she does!
This is going to be very picture heavy and i am excited about others showing what they have made also. Most of the patterns i used are butterick or mc calls. they so far have the most designs.
Attached Thumbnails dolls-015.jpg   dolls-001.jpg   dolls-002.jpg   dolls-004.jpg   dolls-006.jpg  

dolls-007.jpg   dolls-008.jpg   dolls-009.jpg   dolls-012.jpg   dolls-013.jpg  

Old 07-23-2013, 09:40 PM

I might have to jump on this bandwagon. My granddaughters have AG dolls and like to change outfits - as most little girls do. And I find sewing doll clothes more fun than sewing clothes for myself.

You have very well dressed dolls, Nancia.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:09 PM

thank you, quiltsrfun! i hope you have some pictures you can share. how old are your granddaughters?
Old 07-24-2013, 02:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nancia View Post
I've noticed that quite a few of us make clothes for 18" dolls, the American Girl dolls are probably the best known. but there are lots of others, even a boy! i have been collecting these dolls since my daughter grew out of them, and i grew into them! LOL! they are lots of fun, and those of you who are grandmothers to just the right age girls are probably being begged to make clothes. they are not difficult, just a little smaller than ours, but thank goodness, not as small as barbie's clothes!!
I have asked Patrice if we can have a thread that just keeps on going, where we can post the items we've made, and talk about the dolls, the children, and anything 18" dollish. if you enjoy these dolls i hope you will join us. did you know that fancy nancy wears the same size clothes as AGs? she does!
This is going to be very picture heavy and i am excited about others showing what they have made also. Most of the patterns i used are butterick or mc calls. they so far have the most designs.
Your things look super..I am sure you all know I have made hundreds of the doll things..I just love making the things..and funny thing is none of my 4 grand daughters are at all interested in them...I started off making the sweaters and hats to use up yarn...will post pics shortly
Old 07-24-2013, 02:45 AM
Banned

Default this is one of the sweaters and hats..

I have made sooooo many like this or with little variations in the sweater but basically all simple cardigans like this and roll brim hat
Attached Thumbnails american-girl-doll-sweater-hat.jpg  
Old 07-24-2013, 02:49 AM
Banned

One of my favorite outfits I have made many many of is the clown suit..I used to make clown suits for the grands for halloween when they were about 3 yrs old
Attached Thumbnails clown-suit-pink.jpg  
Old 07-24-2013, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

The clothes are adorable!! I made a bunch for my granddaughter and now she is tired of her doll. I found an 18" doll in Michael's named "Olivia", which is granddaughter's name, to use as a model since we live far apart, but, by that time she didn't want any more clothes. Bummer.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:47 AM

I have a doll I bought from Michaels over 5 years ago for my granddaughter. Never got to it and now she is 11 but thankfully I have another granddaughter who will turn 2 in December so I better get busy. Thank you for the motivation.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

Love your dolls and their cloths, nice work!!!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:48 AM

Great idea for a thread! Thanks for not only thinking of it but also asking for it! I have made several outfits for my DGD's AG dolls. I bought a beat up 1 off Ebay to use to try on the clothes. My hubby decided I needed a nice doll for myself so I can play with the DGD's...is he great or what! A few months ago I found a "like new" Molly w/several outfits and about 15 booksat a yardsale. The girl's grandmother had gotten it for her and she was scared to death of it. The parents had boxed it all up and it sat until the yardsale (the girl is now a grown woman). Anyway, I got it all for $75! I split the books between my 3 DGD's and gave the doll to the 1 DGD that didn't have 1 along with a doll trunk from Joanns and lots of outfits. I got the outfits from Joanns using coupons. I want to get back into making the clothes...Christmas is right around the corner and 1 of the DGD's has requested matching outfits for her and her dolls!!!