Old 03-11-2011, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by ganny
Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
Oh, and usually I've seen it where the moderator will put a comment at the end saying why it's locked
No explanation given, but I was complaining about Clotilde. It must be okay to praise these companies, but no complaints. A reputable company should be able to handle both. It's bound to happen - take your lumps. :!:
I didn't see the thread and you probably should ask a moderator anyway, but I would guess it's not that they don't want us to talk about negative experiences, but because the vendor doesn't have an opportunity to defend themselves.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k9dancer
Any differences of opinion will cause a subject to get locked.
I don't think so. Mature adults can discuss things they don't agree on with respect. It's healthy and gives us a chance to see another viewpoint and maybe change (or at least OPEN) our minds. It's how we handle that difference of opinion that probably caused the thread to be locked.

When you see a thread get locked you can take the hint and figure out how the moderators want us to interact with each other here. It's usually kind of obvious, even if the mod does not post an explanation.

Griping about companies isn't tolerated in most online communities, especially the ones that take in advertising dollars. ;)
Old 03-11-2011, 08:36 PM

I think it's quite clear why that thread was locked and it has nothing to do with a 'difference of opinion'. Suggestions were made to (1) have the PO trace the package, (2) let your CC company know there is a dispute on that transaction, and (3) file a complaint with the corporate headquarters. It is clearly a 'he said-she said' case and you cannot fault the company for not making refunds on merchandise they have not received as returned.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by ganny
Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
Oh, and usually I've seen it where the moderator will put a comment at the end saying why it's locked
No explanation given, but I was complaining about Clotilde. It must be okay to praise these companies, but no complaints. A reputable company should be able to handle both. It's bound to happen - take your lumps. :!:
If it's the one about Clotide, Patrice did put a comment, 1st one on page 2, about why she locked it.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:33 AM
Administrator

our board is not the place to air individual grievances against merchants. they have no opportunity to present their side of the story. they have usually been offered little or no opportunity to solve the problem before the post is presented here. we have no power or authority to resolve consumer complaints and disputes. such posts serve no constructive purpose.

ranting, raving, venting, blowing off steam and/or "getting it off our chests" are not constructive actions and do not reflect well upon our community.

Any differences of opinion will cause a subject to get locked.
not necessarily.

differences of opinion are not automatically harmful or unhealthy during a community conversation. they can provide additional food for thought, insight into alternate perspectives, etc. after all, a closed mind will soon get cluttered, dusty, and clogged to the point of uselessness.

as long as differences are expressed with grace, good humor, and respect for other perspectives they are normally allowed to remain.

when differences are expressed in a way that's confrontational, disrespectful, or otherwise ill-mannered and uncivilized, they get the axe.

if a whole topic has been dragged too far into the sewer of incivility, the whole thing will be either locked or deleted.

ironically and regretfully, the members who start the topics are rarely the ones who ruin them beyond use or repair.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
our board is not the place to air individual grievances against merchants. they have no opportunity to present their side of the story. they have usually been offered little or no opportunity to solve the problem before the post is presented here. we have no power or authority to resolve consumer complaints and disputes. such posts serve no constructive purpose.

ranting, raving, venting, blowing off steam and/or "getting it off our chests" are not constructive actions and do not reflect well upon our community.
Any differe
nces of opinion will cause a subject to get locked.
Originally Posted by PatriceJ
not necessarily.

differences of opinion are not automatically harmful or unhealthy during a community conversation. they can provide additional food for thought, insight into alternate perspectives, etc. after all, a closed mind will soon get cluttered, dusty, and clogged to the point of uselessness.

as long as differences are expressed with grace, good humor, and respect for other perspectives they are normally allowed to remain.

when differences are expressed in a way that's confrontational, disrespectful, or otherwise ill-mannered and uncivilized, they get the axe.

if a whole topic has been dragged too far into the sewer of incivility, the whole thing will be either locked or deleted.

ironically and regretfully, the members who start the topics are rarely the ones who ruin them beyond use or repair.

I have seen a lot of "ranting and raving" here. My apologies. I will discontinue commenting on this board. Don't want to be a "trouble maker".
Old 03-12-2011, 06:56 AM

I agree that adults can have differences of opinion and can converse with respect. However, I have seen some conversations locked for differences of opinion when there was no disrespect involved.

Perhaps it is because the reader puts his own inflection into the written words? If one interprets the written word with a negative attitude, then it could be perceived as disrespect when none was intended.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:57 AM
Administrator

honest mistakes do not mean a person is a trouble maker.

you were mislead by bad examples. it's happened to others, too.

mistakes are not a tragedy. they are often opportunities to learn.

i "learn" a lot every day. :lol:
Old 03-12-2011, 09:08 AM

I'm waiting for this thread to be locked.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Administrator

i'm rather hoping that doesn't become necessary. :lol:

we have variations of this conversation quite often. there's no harm in it as long as we all approach in in the right spirit.

new people join our community every day. chats like this help them understand things and remind the rest of us about points we may have overlooked or forgotten.