"Lockup" Quilts

Old 02-09-2014, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy View Post
I wish I had seen it. When the thread was on here about this kind of program out west, I wondered if anyone was doing it in Indiana. I had seen some quilts at the Kentucky State Fair that had been done by some female inmates. Quilting is for everyone and obviously is good therapy for all of us.
I saw that show last night, it intrigued me because I grew up a few miles from Carlisle, In., and I also have family members who work as correctional officers at Carlisle and also Terre Haute Federal Prison.

Those fellows made some beautiful quilts and took a lot of pride in their work. All with using children's school scissors. I am never going to complain about not having a certain ruler or a certain quilting supply!
Old 02-09-2014, 12:48 PM

These stories really warm my heart. I wish them well in their quilting endeavors.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by sewready View Post
I saw that show last night, it intrigued me because I grew up a few miles from Carlisle, In., and I also have family members who work as correctional officers at Carlisle and also Terre Haute Federal Prison.

Those fellows made some beautiful quilts and took a lot of pride in their work. All with using children's school scissors. I am never going to complain about not having a certain ruler or a certain quilting supply!
I also noticed that it didn't look like they pressed any seams. I didn't see any irons in their sewing room, so I doubt that they are allowed to use them.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:39 AM

I've seen that episode a couple times. Very nice quilts. I worked in a state prison in the health department at one time. The "craft" of choice there was stained glass lamp shades. I had a gorgeous one made for only $90. Amazing what these guys came up with.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:10 PM

Someone posted the show on youtube. I don't know how long it will be there, but at the moment, it's available: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMplb4TzcFs

The part with the quilting starts just after 23 minutes and lasts only a few minutes, so you don't have to watch the whole thing if you don't have time.

I'm impressed with what they can do with just those little scissors. It would drive me nuts, but I guess they have all the time in the world.