loneliness in liberation

Old 03-10-2013, 12:40 PM

Liberation can feel exhilarating but also frightening depending on what impact one's liberation has on one's personal or professional life. Thus all decisions need to be weighed according to possible effects. Consider a simple decision to do your own quilting rather than going to a customary professional quilter. You would feel great that you have done the quilting yourself, but you could have severely disappointed the prof. quilter who now might not be able to keep her child in dance lessons. It could even ruin a friendship if your quilter was a friend. Or in the very least you would feel guilt for knowing your liberating decision negatively impacted someone else.
Just rambling on never have used a professional quilter. I only tried to point out that most of us do not live in a vacuum and all our decisions can have repercussions either positive or negative.
Thanks for the opportunity to do some pondering. Have a great day.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:31 AM

Ah HA - but how do you get others from not pushing THEIR beliefs on to you??? WE are suppose to march to their drum, but completely stifle OUR personal growth and beliefs? We are all individuals, aren't we? There needs to be an island somewhere where we are able to be ourselves, and live how we are intended to live. Sharing ideas is wonderful, but not by suffication......ooo, I apologize for digressing....

Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
Never try to push your beliefs on others. It dosnt work just makes ruffled feathers.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
Your post makes me think...that you can be alone and not lonely, and you can be surrounded by people and still feel alone. Doing what feels right isn't always easy, but it beats the alternatives.
I totally agree. I think sometimes you feel twice as lonely if there is someone who is there but not emotionally available to fill the spot they are supposed to. My ex took off over a yr ago after centering his life around staying late and drinking. He was rarely at the house if he was he was drinking or you knew that was what he wanted to do. I limit the drinking in my house. Long list of alcoholics in my family, father, husband and even grown kids. I was surprised at how much better I felt once he moved out. I got to enjoy being at my house when no one was there. I even hesitated for a second when my son had to move back in. Of course I let him but I'm happy that him and his family are rarely there or they mainly hang out in their room so I'm still alone but rarely lonely. I'd love to meet someone to be able to have someone to do things with but not in a hurry to give up my alone time.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by bibi View Post
Liberation can feel exhilarating but also frightening depending on what impact one's liberation has on one's personal or professional life. Thus all decisions need to be weighed according to possible effects. Consider a simple decision to do your own quilting rather than going to a customary professional quilter. You would feel great that you have done the quilting yourself, but you could have severely disappointed the prof. quilter who now might not be able to keep her child in dance lessons. It could even ruin a friendship if your quilter was a friend. Or in the very least you would feel guilt for knowing your liberating decision negatively impacted someone else.
Just rambling on never have used a professional quilter. I only tried to point out that most of us do not live in a vacuum and all our decisions can have repercussions either positive or negative.
Thanks for the opportunity to do some pondering. Have a great day.
I LOVE your response! When we're patting ourselves on the back for not shopping at one store or another or encouraging others to do for themselves instead of hiring someone, we forget, like you said, that others do those things for an income! We forget that this economy is based on goods and services, and if we don't use those goods and services, many people lose an income. I'm not saying that you have to pay for all kinds of things, but certainly don't get in your high horse about folks who are willing to pay for someone to long arm a quilt, clean their house or decorate a birthday cake.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:23 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by alwayslearning View Post
You could spend all your time explaining yourself, or you could truly enjoy the exhilaration and discovery. My attitude is do not apologize for growing if someone else wants to wallow. Be kind, but be yourself and enjoy.
Exactly, well said and very well put ..
Old 03-11-2013, 08:21 AM

I have always walked to the beat of my own drum. My family has frequently not understood. I was an outsider in school. My friends were always the misfits. Recently I told my daughter that all of my friends were a little off center one way or another, some of them wouldn't like each other. She's met them all and agreed. I had 2 friends in high school who didn't like each other, at lunch I sat between them. I was the "buffer state". When I was 15 I realized the only person I could depend on was me. Fortunately, my husband of 42 years has always let me be me. I try to reciprocate, although I think he is better at it than I am. When I was younger I sometimes felt a deep loneliness but rarely do any more. As time progresses it gets easier to be happy in your own skin.
I think this has helped my 4 grown children to be themselves, too. Anyway, they are all comfortable in their own skins.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:42 AM

Answer to yourself. If you can lie down at night with a clear and happy conscience, go for it!
Old 03-11-2013, 12:03 PM

Just be you & do what makes you happy. I was one that always tried to please everyone else. I was never happy myself. Then decided to do what made me happy. If others didn't like it, then that was their problem not mine. When I teach someone to quilt or whatever, I always tell them I do it this way, but if you find a better way that works for you then go for it. Everyone is different & you have to choose for yourself & not let someone else choose how you should be. As long as you are not hurting anyone, then be you. I never downgrade anyone that thinks or dose things different than I do & I won't allow them to down grade me for how I am. Everyone is not made from the same mold. Blessings on being yourself.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

Be your own person.....Live life to suit yourself.....No apologies to anyone.....
Old 03-11-2013, 07:42 PM

I think it's good to be yourself as long as you're not hurting someone else in the process. If being yourself means spending the grocery money on your obsession then I think it would be better to try to improve yourself. I really hate to hear someone say " well, that's just the way I am and the world will have to deal with it". But in your friends case, losing her husband means she will probably have to find a new purpose in life and I hope she doesn't let others bully her into not exploring new places and adventures.