Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Looking for free purse pattern/tute EASY PEASY for this newbie

Looking for free purse pattern/tute EASY PEASY for this newbie

I've been quilting 10 years now and that's all I've ever made. I branched out this Christmas and made a set of hot pads and oven mitts. They turned out pretty neat.

I am looking for an extremely easy, like sewing for dummies pattern to make a purse. I don't want to make a huge tote bag...maybe something I could make out of 2 fat quarters or something.

Strap would be nice but not necessary. Prefer no zippers (I haven't graduated up that high yet) or magnetic snappy things. I can buy purse handles. I have some but they are circles and the patterns I've found don't have purse handles like those and I'm always looking for a reason to go to JoAnns so I can buy some purse handles.

Easy easy easy....and free. I'm planning a trip home to see the family. They've seen my quilts, but I'd like to make a little travel bag that I can put my wallet in so I don't have to take the cosmic black hole...aka my ginormous bag with.

Any ideas? I searched for bags and bag patterns and free bag patterns and it came back with way too much and none of the first two pages had anything I was looking for.

Thanks in advance!

Melissa
    Proud mom/step-mom to 8 children. We promote awareness of Autism and Huntington's Disease. Please pm me if interested in sending Campbell's Soup Labels or box tops which we collect for our kids' schools.

Put your wallet in a pocket, and take the ginormous big bag. Call it your purse, and you can load it with heavy stuff that would be too heavy for the check-in/carry-on. The last trip we took, all four of us used our carry-on for the only bag, and used a very large "purse" for anything else. No check-in to wait for at baggage claim. We traveled light.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I have an easy looking pattern for a wallet. I might just slim down and just take that. I don't need the ginormous bag in the rental car. We are driving 400 miles. My boys and their junk will take up more room than anything else. A sewing buddy is a fantastic sewist who also quilts. She's amazing. I'm going to see if she can explain the pattern to me and make sure it's as easy as I think it is.
    Waiting patiently for the day when all 3 little ones are in school full time so I can have serious quality time with my machine!!

Try All Free Sewing. They have a lot of patterns for bags from very quick and easy to advanced. I have found their instruction very clear and easy to follow.

Debbie Shore has some cute bags in her video tutorials on youtube. One was easy enough for my daughter to make in a couple of hours and she is still learning to sew. Just search for Debbie Shore. She has a bunch of stuff on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by mpeters1200 View Post
    I've been quilting 10 years now and that's all I've ever made. I branched out this Christmas and made a set of hot pads and oven mitts. They turned out pretty neat.

I am looking for an extremely easy, like sewing for dummies pattern to make a purse. I don't want to make a huge tote bag...maybe something I could make out of 2 fat quarters or something.

Strap would be nice but not necessary. Prefer no zippers (I haven't graduated up that high yet) or magnetic snappy things. I can buy purse handles. I have some but they are circles and the patterns I've found don't have purse handles like those and I'm always looking for a reason to go to JoAnns so I can buy some purse handles.

Easy easy easy....and free. I'm planning a trip home to see the family. They've seen my quilts, but I'd like to make a little travel bag that I can put my wallet in so I don't have to take the cosmic black hole...aka my ginormous bag with.

Any ideas? I searched for bags and bag patterns and free bag patterns and it came back with way too much and none of the first two pages had anything I was looking for.

Thanks in advance!

Melissa
    Maybe something on here
    http://www.pinterest.com/signetoo/to...ree-tutorials/

This is my favourite purse/tote pattern. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7i6Wrl4rZ8
    I put pockets on the inside and a button flap to close it. Here are two that I made:
    Name:  B-W bucket purse.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  133.4 KB
    Name:  blue purse.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  143.3 KB

This is my favorite little bag. I make the top band without the overlap, you can still add buttons. http://www.made-by-rae.com/2009/02/f...ewing-pattern/
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Quote Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
    This is my favorite little bag. I make the top band without the overlap, you can still add buttons. http://www.made-by-rae.com/2009/02/f...ewing-pattern/
    I have made this pattern and it was really easy and turned out really cute - I think I made the strap longer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Missouri Star Quilt Co has a You-Tube video showing a bag made out of Dresden plate pieces. Looks easy!

Lazy Girl patterns are quite easy, I have made MANY of them. She does a quick and easy way to put in a zipper, absolutely so easy. She has a cute cross- body purse that I have made for every niece. I made them out of satin to match bridesmaid dresses, prom presses and just about any other fabric. Just was asked my my niece to make one out of burlap and embroidered so she can take it to the fair this summer when she shows her horses. She wants an elegant burlap treat bag...is that actually possible? I'm game for almost anything. The are are also many free patterns that I found at Pursespatterns.com.
    Last edited by Bneighbor; 05-11-2014 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Crazy auto-fill

I am unsure why, but my notifications turned off, so imagine my surprise when I saw this on the most talked in list!

You are all very, very wonderful. I found a free download of something called a snack bag from Andover that looks like a little messenger bag. I made it in under an hour and it really boosted my confidence! I did make a little note to myself next time to add the pockets BEFORE I make the bag! Long story there.

I felt so good about it, I spent some quality time on pinterest and made this wallet to match: http://modestmaven.blogspot.fr/2012/...-tutorial.html

I liked making the wallet so much, I made three more for some friends I've mine and my sister that I'm going to go visit. Now the fabric is calling me to make them matching messenger bags too.

I had the best weekend ever making these cute little wallets. They were a ton of fun and the tutorial was awesome.
    Waiting patiently for the day when all 3 little ones are in school full time so I can have serious quality time with my machine!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4-41NHuFe8

missouri star has this strip bag. really easy and cute.

or charm squares

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7i6Wrl4rZ8
    pdcakm alias pat
    If things go wrong, don't go with them. ~Roger Babson