Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Looking for A Nice Community to Move To - Must Have Quilters!!! >

Looking for A Nice Community to Move To - Must Have Quilters!!!

Looking for A Nice Community to Move To - Must Have Quilters!!!

Old 09-09-2013, 01:03 PM

you can check the house out on www.caldwellbanker.com put in area code 61364 and it should come up. it's on N 15th Rd.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:07 PM

Sorry, it's #6 in the listings. 2040 N 15th Rd. didn't know so many on 15th rd were for sale.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:04 PM

In my opinion Quiltingcandy has the next to the best idea. THE best idea is . . . Oceanside, CA. This is North County, San Diego. Living near the ocean is like heaven to me. Plus we have the historic Spanish Mission, San Luis Rey run by The Franciscan Friars. The City of San Diego is but a short train ride if you don't want to drive 35 miles. And I have never seen a snake. It's a Garden of Eden without the snake.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:21 PM

Avoid the Florida Trap. I had to be there ONCE and swore I'd never EVER return.. Bugs the size of airplanes, snakes, gators and humidity beyond belief.
However, the guests suggesting TN, KY, and the Carolina's are good. Do a google search for Quilt shops in states you are considering. But I'm in SoCal, have 3 quality Quilt Shops, 2 Joann's and a Walmart within 20 min of my front door. No hurricanes, tornado's, a Mediterranean climate most of the year and almost no humidity. One can literally surf in the morning and snow ski in the afternoon in the winter. North of Los Angeles, but in a slower, more agriculture area and tons of cultural activities, often FREE and if you are a SR CTR we have a great slate of programs through our Parks & Rec. Brand new library and a huge Outlet Mall. Town pop is approx 65K. Come on Down.. We'd love to have you.. OK we're on the West Coast, but it's beautiful here. And you never know, you might change your mind.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by Aunt Neicie View Post
Sorry, it's #6 in the listings. 2040 N 15th Rd. didn't know so many on 15th rd were for sale.
Gorgeous but ... too expensive.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

If you find no snakes and few bugs...let me know ;-)
Old 09-09-2013, 05:25 PM

I moved to the Triad region of North Carolina from NY about 2 years ago for a job and it is lovely here. We have four seasons but the "winter" is only a couple of months and precipitation is infrequent. I think it meets most of your criteria. You might want to consider it.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:54 PM

This is a nice repo just down the block from us:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/83...15403943_zpid/
Old 09-09-2013, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Sharon, I've heard we're only in "severe drought" condition now. Things are improving!
I live in Round Rock. We've not had hardly any rain all year, maybe about 6"; if that.
Sharon
Old 09-10-2013, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by sewvic View Post
The Lancaster, PA area is a quilter's mecca. There are quilt and fabric shops on every corner -- well, maybe that's a slight exaggeratiion, but there are a lot of quilt shops. There are also lots of people here from Long Island. It seems this is a good retirement alternative for many New Yorkers because our taxes are lower. Many great Catholic churches. Never seen a snake. Occasional tornado warnings when bad thunder storms are in the offing, but I don't think there are too many places that are without some sort of bad weather. Far enough inland to dismiss the hurricane problem. No snakes. Please email me privately for a list of just some of the fabric stores and more specific info about Churches. I am a Maryland native and have lived in Lancaster County for 8 years and I have been extremely happy with our choice of location. Very large Amish and Mennonite communities here and EVERYONE is so kind and helpful. If you are pulling onto a main road from a side street, people actually stop and let you merger into traffic. I'm not making that up.....TRUE. We came from the Washington, D.C. area and that is a WONDERFUL place to be away from. Highly recommend this lifestyle. Really worth consideration!
We just moved from APG, Maryland to AZ this summer. We are a military family and lived in Maryland for four years. I LOVED the Lancaster, PA area. Would drive up there all the time. It reminded me of the farms in my home country, Germany Time slows down in Lancaster County...would live there in a heartbeat! It is definitely on our list of eventual retirement places...