Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
looking for sore throat remedies >

looking for sore throat remedies

looking for sore throat remedies

Old 10-26-2013, 06:06 AM

When my throat is very sore, I use Chloraseptic throat lozenges, and those numb it for a while. If I have an irritated throat from postnasal drip, I often just use Lifesavers, butterscotch drops, or peppermints to sooth it and suck on those throughout the day.

When I get a cold and have a combination of irritated throat and stuffiness, I use a tea recipe called Holiday Tea or Russian Tea. It has Tang, instant tea, cloves, cinnamon, and lemonade powder. I make up a batch about this time of the year and it lasts all winter. It helps clear my colds faster, but I think it may be the vitamin C in the tang that is the key.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:10 AM

Our solution also included the sinuses. 8oz. Hot water, 1 tablespoon mouth wash, salt the size of a dime and honey to taste. Blow nose afterwards or lie down right after gargling then blow nose to take care of throat and sinuses.
PS taught in nursing schools 50 years ago!
Old 10-26-2013, 06:35 AM

Agree with the salt water, in order to avoid more serious infection. Received this info from pediatrician when kids were little. It really works along with using Ricola lozenges. Hope you feel better real soon.
[h=1][/h]
Old 10-26-2013, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

I have tried the warm salt water, have to give some of these others a try.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:39 AM

Honey and lemon mixed together. Even recommended by my doctor when I asked about it.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I just take a couple acetaminophen. I can't gargle! I literally darn near drowned myself.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:11 AM

I cannot gargle without gagging, so I have to try other things.

Honey does not like me either.

27 years ago I was told to try hot orange juice for a nasty cough/sore throat. It works like a charm to soothe a raw throat from coughing.

For a really sore throat I use whiskey. I am not a big whiskey fan, but slowly sipped it first burns then soothes. I usually only do this at bedtime. The whiskey has the additional effect of putting me to sleep. I am only talking 1/2 to 1 ounce.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by duckydo View Post
There was one on Pinterest last night. U used honey cayenne pepper(not much) and tow other ingredints.. You could do a search on Pinterest. It sounded pretty good. I usually just do warm salt water about every hour and that helps
I think you're referring to "Maggie's Cough Remedy". I found it on Pinterest a couple of years ago. While I haven't had a sore throat to try it on, it works beautifully on a cough! I make it up fresh in small batches and use it up in a few days.

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon honey
Dissolve cayenne and ginger in cider vinegar and water. Add honey and shake well. Take 1 tablespoon as needed for cough. It's pretty intense but it totally works for a cough.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:47 AM

All of these responses have been very interesting. I've tried hot tea, hot water with honey and lemon, gargling with warm salt water, and gargling with warm vinegar water. That last one was very difficult for me, which surprised me because I used to drink it cold as a teen. Anyway - all of these remedies gave me temporary relief.

Last night, my elderly neighbor gave me a new one to try, and IT WORKED!!! She told me to drink hot Tang, and gave me a few tablespoons of mix. I was skeptical, but the soreness seemed to get worse in the evening, and I didn't have anything to lose. I drank a mugful and my throat, which had been feeling like it ran into a cheese grater, immediately felt better, and it still feels better this morning!

I'm off to the store to buy my own supply! I'll have to mix up some of that Maggie's stuff next.

Thanks to everyone for your responses!
Old 10-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

I had no idea that Tang was still made! I have never bought any. I'll certainly look for it.