Losing the War!

Old 09-15-2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Challys View Post
I cannot seem to make any progress on winning the war against dust! I live in the San Francisco general area so am close enough to the bay to prevent excessive dryness. Nevertheless, I just finished (well almost!) dusting and I know for a fact I will see dust again
by tomorrow morning. I use a microfibre cloth and furniture push, but nothing helps.
I am beginning to totally hate dusting! Does anyone have suggestions other than just closing my eyes? Thanks!

Challys
have your filters on your furnace/AC been changed lately?? that helps cut down on the dust in the house.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:14 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. Our thermostat gives us a reminder message so we are quite good about filter changing. Perhaps I will try the suggestion of dusting with a dryer sheet and see if that helps--wonder if it should be a new sheet or a used one?
Old 09-15-2012, 08:31 AM

I have an electronic filter that is installed on the furnace -- it has cut down on the amount of dust. I dust when I see it (and sometimes I don't see it for quite a while). When we lived in Cal, we had no AC, dust and sand all over the outside and the inside. I do so sympathise. I dusted much more often (tried to dust the kids when they came in after playing) -- drove myself nuts and finally did the once a week thing unless the boss's wife was coming.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Grace MooreLinker View Post
have your filters on your furnace/AC been changed lately?? that helps cut down on the dust in the house.
I put filters on the floor vents too. You can buy a pack of them at Home Depot or any hardware store.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:00 AM

Our minister said that dust comes from God therefore it is OK to leave it alone.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:24 AM

OH! Challys - I live about 75 miles east of you - in the valley - where they're shaking the almonds off the trees right now. My sinuses will tell you how bad the dust is!

On Thursday, Hubby asked me to please dust the tv stand... so I did... and on Friday, he nagged me about dusting because it looked like it hadn't been done! .... I told him I had done it, and he proceeded to "teach" me how to do it "right".... so this morning, I "taught" him how to do it! He now understands that almond harvest is almost over and we'll be back to our normal coating of dust soon!

And don't get me started about the car!
Old 09-15-2012, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sewhappygal View Post
Well I read every single entry on this thread looking for the secret. I guess there is no answer to this problem, no secret to be found. I hate to dust and usually don't worry very much about it but my mom is coming tomorrow for a two week visit. I just know that no matter how clean the house is, it's the dust that she is going to see (and comment on). We'll if that's the only negative thing she sees during her stay (which it won't be) I'll be doing good.
Just make sure you dust just before she gets there and she will see how nice and clean everything is. After that if there is time and if any cleaning has to be done while she is there ask her to dust.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:12 PM

I have no answer, but feel your pain. If I dust in the AM, it's back by dinner!! Seriously! My house is new and we have special filters and air cleaners in 3 of the rooms due to allergies. But there is still dust!! If you find a solution, let me know!
Old 09-15-2012, 04:01 PM

I have a sign in my hall "Please don't write in the dust, it shows it up", problem solved
Old 09-15-2012, 04:44 PM

What's with all this dust, anyway!. My living room seldom shows dust, but my master bedroom furniture seems to get coated every week. It's almost embarrassing. You would think I haven't bother to dust in weeks, but I swear I do it every week. Can't figure out why that room seems to be a dust magnet.