Losing the War!

Old 09-15-2012, 06:19 PM

I thought dust was a protective coating! My furniture is well protected.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:17 PM

If anyone touches my dust, I hand them a dustcloth and tell them that all of the furniture must match. They don't touch more than once! One of my DGD, when she was about age 9 wrote her name in the dust on a book shelf that was about 8 feet long and had 7 shelves with lots of figurines and books. She just laughed when I handed her the cloth. Even her mother, aunt and her cousins wouldn't help her. It only takes once for them to know you mean something. My scissors are another "DON'T touch but at least they get a reminder since I tie a small piece of bias through the handles of those that are off limits unless they are sewing with me. Guess I'm a mean old lady and apparently was that way when I was much younger since DGD is 26 years old.
Originally Posted by Up North View Post
I tell people I like the matt finish on my furniture rather than the shiny one just do not touch it! LOL
Old 09-15-2012, 08:27 PM
QM
Power Poster

My DH and I have asthma/COPD, so we are serious about fighting dust. We have air filters in several places in our tiny house. Previously our huge house had whole house air filtration....that was a joy! Most home centers and hardware stores, as well as Sears sell air filters. The terribly pricey ones are not significantly better than cheaper ones. If you have a furnace, make sure you change that filter regularly. I was taught to tear fabric to get the true straight of grain. 1) It wastes fabric because you need to trim the edges afterwards. 2) It puts lots on lint into the air. Be sure your vacuum is a true hepa type; others add very fine dust back into the air.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:45 PM

it's not dust, it's room noodles - that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:24 PM

Hmmm...I had the exterminator here and he assured me that what is all over my sewing studio and my clothing is referred to as "Quilt Poop". I would rather believe it is room noodles or star dust but he IS the professional in this field.
Originally Posted by Debbie C View Post
it's not dust, it's room noodles - that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:55 PM

(Dust rule in my house - If you touch that shelf and it shows - then get a rag. The cat swished his tail on a shelf once and I used his tail to finish dusting the shelf.)
This is the most creative answer I saw on this thread but I think any of my cats that I used to dust would either scratch or bite me. Even if they are mostly good kitties. LOL.
By the way I almost never dust even though we live in the flight path of B52 bomers and other military planes because my hubby does the dusting. I think that solves that problems. HA.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:03 AM

I love the Swiffer dust brushes they are great to have around when you just want to give something I quick dust over without needing to use the spray all the time. I don't think it matters where you live if you leave a window or door open you'll have dust right away. That's my quick fix anyways and they do an amazing job - I dust off the tops of our electronics with them as well they can go into the smallest spots.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:23 AM

The rule in my house is - if you are bothered by a mess, YOU get to clean it up. That applies to guests & relatives too - my mom pointed out dog hair on my carpet once, I pointed out where we keep the vacuum. Funny...she's never mentioned dog hair since then!! LOL

I have better things to do with my time than cleaning up messes I don't care about. I work full time and then some, and my off hours are better spent sewing, cooking (which I enjoy), reading, or cleaning up various messes that bother ME. Everybody else is welcome to do the same, or suffer in silence!