Loud audiences.......

Old 02-23-2018, 07:30 PM

My DH and I are sure the staff fill the air with happy gas or something with The Price is Right... The audience just acts obnoxious and crazy!
Old 02-24-2018, 10:38 AM

My pet peeve is Who wants to be a millionaire? The person drags out the answer by saying "well it can't be this because -whatever and it can't be that because -whatever". You know their answers have to be couched because they all do it. And I don't even watch it, only catch it flipping channels and it still annoys me. But yes the audience clapping so loud or the music on movies so loud you can't make out what is being said is distracting to the show.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:27 PM

Game shows have toooo much “phony excitement” for me.

I worked with a man once whose parents attended a game show while vacationing in California. His Father (John) was picked for a contestant and I don’t remember the details but another audience attendee approached John after he was selected and advised John: when on stage, to keep one eye on him in the audience because he comes often and knows the game pretty good. After the show, John had to sign some paperwork backstage and saw the same man with the producer - he thought it looked “fishy”.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:43 PM

I wonder how many realize they have to pay income tax on the total winnings?
Even if they sell it all at a loss that is still a lot of extra income for the year.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

Back in the olden days my mother got herself onto two game shows. One was Match Game I think with Gene Rayburn and one was something else with Bill Cullen. She won some kind of small sailboat that she traded to the periodontist for gum work and the other was a trip to Steamboat Springs, Colorado and my parents did go on it, but, I think I remember that it was a new resort and things weren't developed around it. Probably why they gave it as a prize back then. They did have to pay income tax on the winnings. Back then it was still black and white TV and things weren't very loud.

don't watch game shows anymore. No reason. And MASH, loved it. Clean fun? Well, Frank Burns was cheating on his wife with Hotlips! And Hawkeye and Trapper were always looking for women. But, anyway, I thought it was a great show too. We grew up with Leave it to beaver and Father Knows Best. I wanted my mother to be June Cleaver. Never happened!!!
Old 02-24-2018, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

I wanted my Mom to be Donna Reed
And I wanted to grow up and marry her husband, Alex
Old 02-24-2018, 02:32 PM

I think the TV producers are just responding to what they think the public wants. "More excitement! More sound! More flashing lights!"
And maybe that's what the younger folks want, but not this generation. We can't hear the words for the background sound. I just hate that. I thought it was just me with my failing hearing, and it is some of that, but just as much, I read, that the producers are pumping up the volume and trying to create a fake sense of immediacy and excitement, whether it is a game show or a documentary on Stonehenge. I can hardly stand to watch David Attenborough, even, since the background music is so loud now.