Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Loving This Upstate NY Rain!

OK, I know I may catch some flack for this, but I love these rainy Upstate NY days. The air is crisp and the leaves are starting to change colors and fall. It's a beautiful time to either curl up with your favorite quilt and new quilting magazine (just came today with perfect timing!) or to sit down and work on your current project. We've had rain for the last two days, the air couldn't be sweeter, and the weather channel is predicting more for tomorrow! :D

As a former upstate NY gal, I am SOOO jealous of you right now! I miss that weather more than I can express! Enjoy it for me!

I'm a former "Upstater" and although its been raining here in New England, nothing is better than a cool rainy day as fall starts to settle in across the upstate region.

Growing up, it meant the end of summer canning and jam making, my father preparing for hunting season, the taste of my mom's homemade vegetable beef soup and crusty bread, the changing of the colors, and the smell of fresh picked apples.

I also miss our fall treks to the Adirondacks... especially growing up at Blue Mountain and Tupper Lakes.

I love living in New England, but I really miss Upstate NY this time of the year.

Couldn't agree more with loving a crisp Upsate NY day, however, the rain means the kids can't play outside and they keep interrupting my sewing.

Hi Lisa, I know what you mean. I am from Rochester, New York and I love today. You can smell fall in the air. We are overcasted and had rain this morning. The air is so nice this time of year. Having a great day.

i do miss the change of seasons in upstate NY. Used to live in Queensbury near Lake George. It was wonderful to see the leaves change. don't miss the snow trapping me, mostly because we get snow here in Missouri. wish that it would rain here. it is hot hot hot.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I like rain too but not when the Yankees are supposed to play! Waaaa Waaaa I heard there's a lot of rain in the forecast. I grew up in Utica and lived in Syracuse. Such beautiful country. The best apples and tomatoes I ever had! :D

Blog Entries
    Please send the fall weather SOUTH. I am so tired of 98 degreese and humid! Look forward to fall and even winter in the sough.

Quote Originally Posted by prezzy
    Hi Lisa, I know what you mean. I am from Rochester, New York and I love today. You can smell fall in the air. We are overcasted and had rain this morning. The air is so nice this time of year. Having a great day.
    I grew up in Vestal, NY (south of Syracuse), and lived in Rochester for seven years. Hikes through Letchworth (sp) State Park and down through the Finger Lakes during Fall was an annual trip for my husband and myself. Oh, and we stopped at the wineries on our way back!

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I like rain too but not when the Yankees are supposed to play! Waaaa Waaaa I heard there's a lot of rain in the forecast.
    You're in luck - they're playing in Toronto tonight, and I think it's a domed stadium. I like to do hand applique and listen to the game with my husband - he tells me when to look up, LOL.

I grew up and lived most of my life in the suburbs of NYC in Westchester, Rockland and Orange Counties but attended college for four years at SUNY Oswego right on Lake Ontario so I know upstate NY weather quite well. I moved to north Georgia eight years ago. It's in the mid-90s today and this time of year we have a brief afternoon thunderstorm almost every day or so. I do sometimes miss those cool autumn days that always seemed to come too soon when I was a child but down here I can swim in my pool until early October and never have to worry about getting stuck in a blizzard since it rarely snows more than a few inches at a time if at all. It's quite comical to watch everyone down here go into a frenzy whenever any kind of winter weather is predicted :)

New York State, but I will always be Canadian!
    I have to admit...I am not overly enjoying this. I am at work (not able to curl up with a cozy quilt) and I am FREEZING! I always get a little depressed to see the tufts on the corn stalks and the leaves a little less green. However, I am hoping that with the cooler weather we can take our daughter out to some of the state parks around us and maybe apple picking or to a pumpkin patch or two. Now that we have a little one...hoping we can make the most of these two...ahem...yucky seasons upon us. :)

Autumn in NY is so gorgeous!! I miss it.
    JoAnn, I also lived in Georgia for a while while my husband was in school. Wow, culture shock coming from NY!! It was sooooo hot there!! But I loved it. I don't think I would now though :D
    I wouldn't have studied at Oswego if it had been FREE ha ha ha
    The winters there are downright ridiculous!!

Quote Originally Posted by JoAnnGC
    I grew up and lived most of my life in the suburbs of NYC in Westchester, Rockland and Orange Counties but attended college for four years at SUNY Oswego right on Lake Ontario so I know upstate NY weather quite well. I moved to north Georgia eight years ago. It's in the mid-90s today and this time of year we have a brief afternoon thunderstorm almost every day or so. I do sometimes miss those cool autumn days that always seemed to come too soon when I was a child but down here I can swim in my pool until early October and never have to worry about getting stuck in a blizzard since it rarely snows more than a few inches at a time if at all. It's quite comical to watch everyone down here go into a frenzy whenever any kind of winter weather is predicted :)
    I live about 20 minutes from Oswego and love that area in the fall...not so much in the winter, lol. We live north of Oswego but not directly on the water. Our snowbanks may be 6-7 feet tall but there's not as much lake effect snow (though we get plenty off of Lake Ontario in our area too.) There's a JoAnn's in Oswego that's half a block from an awesome Mexican restaurant so we make the trek to Oswego at least once a month in the winter, despite all the snow, :lol: .

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I am in NH and we had rain yesterday, today and it looks like we will have showers until Wednesday. After the dry, hot summer we have been having, I am loving the rain. I love to smell it in the air, to hear it on the roof, to curl up with a quilt and a good book...too bad I had to go to work today or I'd still be curled up and reading. I am on a reading kick lately and this weather is perfect for it.

I thought I'd be boo-ed off the board for liking the rain, :lol: , so it's nice to see the agreements. Our girls weren't able to play outside today because of the rain but it didn't interrupt my sewing. I'm a stay at home mom who homeschools so when I sew, they follow me right into my sewing room and get out their sewing kits and play (I don't let them use their machines as much if I'm quilting so that if they have a problem, I won't be so distracted). I'm not a huge fan of the frigid temperatures that this weather is predicting but I'll enjoy this while it lasts.

I'm from Corinth, NY (60 miles north of Albany) I love the fall in NY. I currently live in Ca where we are having a heat wave right now. I don't mind though because I love on the coast so I have a nice cool ocean breeze. Doesn't get much better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    Please send the fall weather SOUTH. I am so tired of 98 degreese and humid! Look forward to fall and even winter in the sough.
    You may be in luck soon. Our temps have dropped to the 80's and 60's, and humidity is low. I can handle this without too much trouble, and I hope yours is not far behind.

I grew up in Apalachin, N.Y., but now I live in Tokyo. Japan is hot, hot, hot and really humid! We will have summer weather until October. I remember the smell of fall on the first day of school in upstate New York and I sure miss it here in Japan. However, our fall will last until December!

Boooo. Just thought you needed that. LOL I'm in Upstate as well, but not so far - orange county. Rain is great, we need it. But I am a bit soggy - lots of puddle jumping and mad dashes today. Better than 90+ degrees!!!!

Another displaced upstater here - I used to love how Indian Summer would start the autumn countdown, first with poison Ivy turning red and orange, bittersweet berries, then the incredible maples finally giving in to winter with just a few red and purple oak leaves hanging on. And the clearest blue skies to set it all off! I can almost smell the apples!

I too love rainy days. I open the windows just to hear the rain hit the leaves - it's one of my favorite sounds. And it has been so hot and dry in upstate, we really needed the rain.

We got really lucky visiting family upstate a couple of weeks ago. The weather was perfect! It's been so hot and humid in Ohio, our trees look really bad. Not enough rain and too hot for too long.
    I love rain! It's so cozy. The older I get the more I love all the seasons :)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, here in NY--we got about 3" of rain in two days. I enjoy the excuse to quilt, but it made the new dry lot (for horses) a mud pit in places. Sigh... and since horses are in it means more stall cleaning...another sigh. But, I did get two rows of my gray quilt together.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I am also from upstate n.y. and am enjoying this cool weather. Put on a light jacket to go out today. It rained all day yesterday and I cut and sewed all day. This is my favorite time of year.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast