Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Low cost Christmas gifts and ideas >

Low cost Christmas gifts and ideas

Low cost Christmas gifts and ideas

Old 12-04-2011, 07:09 AM

For my siblings and spouses I saved up my Joanns coupons and bought throughout the year, each one of those insulated coffee cups for the car, with each goes a mug rug. Which was finished months ago...I do enjoy not having to be stressed during the holidays.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:38 AM

For those of you that live near a Michaels-they have ceramic mini loaf pans for $1. i buy them, bake a loaf of pumpkin bread in them and give them as gifts to family. One year i didn't have a chance to bake so i filled them with candy i ahd made.they are always a hit and my family re-uses the pans for candy dishes or dip bowls when they entertain.
One year i went in to michaels AFTER Christmas and the pans were .10. I bought a stack of them for the next years gifts.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:57 PM

OK...I went to several crafts stores today to do the felt soap. I could not find that wool any where...was bummed but the good news is ended up making the Christmas ornaments with my sister and her grandkids. It was sooooo easy and its just three ingredients. My sister did not have a mixer or blender so we hand mixed it with a large spoon and then kneaded...it was so easy and fast. The kids had a great time...baking time is two hours. I left before they were out of the oven.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:36 PM

Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-04-2011, 06:56 PM

I am sewing flannel pillow cases for the nieces and nephews. I tried to match the fabric to what they are into. Niece Ellie likes owls, so I found some cute flannel with owls on it. Nephews are into sports, other nieces are into princesses and gymnastics.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:13 PM

I am making pillowcases too. I made some for the DGC for Halloween and now they want to know when will they get the Christmas ones, finished today. Then started thinking about how quick they are and going to make 10 more. I purchased flat sheets today and got 4 from a twin - DGC pillows are a little bigger than standard so more fabric was used.

Last edited by butterflies5518; 12-04-2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-04-2011, 10:55 PM

I make loaves of yeast bread in my breadmakers for our church staff, ministers, and close neighbors. One year I included a pint jar of raw honey with each loaf of bread. The bread is always an expected and welcome gift, especially during the Christmas holidays.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:03 PM

I am making oven dresses, micro wave bowls & pillow cases this year. I also give jam every year that I make in the summer months. I get complaints if I don't give the jam.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:58 AM

We got a digital photo frame for my in-laws. I am putting their photos on a flash drive. Also having the Grand kids put their photos on flash drive for them. Frames aren't that bad in price if you check sales. And flash drives are under $10. So far I I have close to 200 done with lots more to do. They can have slide shows without the hassle of projectors etc,
Old 12-05-2011, 03:33 PM

Michael's has a lot of stuff for $1 - $5 they've got address books, notepads, small and large calendars, candles. For my daughter's one of our stores had ceramic coffee mugs with lids for $5. Dollar store here has oven mitts, pot holders, kitchen towels.