Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Low cost Christmas gifts and ideas

Blog Entries

Low cost Christmas gifts and ideas

Today I am going to bake these Christmas ornaments. My friend gave me one last year, what a wonderful gift and its smells so good...I am going to make a bunch and give them out to all of my coworkers and friends. http://www.thriftyideastoday.com/201...tmas-tree.html
    What are some are you making...looking for more under $5.00 gifts.

Blog Entries
    Oh and of course the herbal rice bags. I use mine every night to keep my toes warm.

Blog Entries
    thanks for the link. my DSIL made these one year in the shape of teddy bears... so cute. and your are so right... they smell wonderful
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I am making baked potato bags, using only me stash.
    JoAnn
    Jo Ann

Blog Entries
    What is a baked potatoe bag? Do you have a picture?
    Quote Originally Posted by joivey View Post
    I am making baked potato bags, using only me stash.
    JoAnn

I'm doing inexpensive mugs, with mug rugs and teabags or cocoa tucked in the mugs. Also making the dry layered cake mixes with recipes attached to quart canning jars. Bet I can find a little fabric to attach to the top of the jars.

I'm making some small wall decorations by using either a wooden spoon or plastic spoon, spatulas work to, that have a hole at the top to use to hang. Got some cheap fake flowers from the dollar store, hot glue them to the spoon or spatula, then put a ribbon in the hole as a hanger. Have made these for years and they cost is very minimal. I get the spoons and spatulas from the thrift store usually about 50 cents each, and I buy ribbons throughout the year to use. Everyone usually likes them.

I am going to make some fabric baskets (see pic). These are last years and I filled them with cellophane bags of home made biscuits or some bath products.

Similar tutorial is on the Pink Penguin blog (do a google search).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    These are wonderful!!! They will love them.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftyheart2 View Post
    I am going to make some fabric baskets (see pic). These are last years and I filled them with cellophane bags of home made biscuits or some bath products.

Similar tutorial is on the Pink Penguin blog (do a google search).

Blog Entries
    Here is another stocking stuffer. Wool Felting Soap. http://www.thriftyideastoday.com/201...wool-soap.html

Thanks for the idea!

Just an idea to share. Each spring and summer I give small bouquets of roses from my garden to neighbors and friends and I am always looking for inexpensive vases to put the roses in. A gift of any type glass or jar wrapped in a pretty green or pink fabric tied with a bow that I could use as a vase would be welcome. Inexpensive for you to make, welcome to those who give flowers from their gardens. Include a poem or verse explaining they are to help them share their garden with friends.

10 minute table runners post here on QB. Awesome gift.

Power Poster
    Love your fabric baskets craftheart2. I bet the canvas drop clothes that were on sale on Black Friday at Lowes would work to do those.

Thank you.

I used some linen I had had for years from when I used to sew bags to sell. Used to buy it when I saw it in the Op Shop for a reasonable price.

This time I am going to make some pink ones - one of my staff would prefer that over Christmas.

Don't know about Black Friday sales at Lowes etc - I am in Australia.

Blog Entries
    Name:  IMG_0194.JPG
Views: 425
Size:  1.73 MB
    How a bout a Yule Log? The story of the Yule Log

What about home made candy? Fudge, Divinity, Pecan nut logs?

Blog Entries
    Today I am going to make felted rock soap. I have a tute on my blog as well as a few other fun, quick home made gift ideas. http://www.thriftyideastoday.com/

Blog Entries
    I just got the Viking Ruby a few months ago and I'm making free standing lace ornaments and lace angel tree toppers. They really are saving me money because since they hold up better when using polyester thread instead of rayon I'm using serger thread that I have had for over 15yrs. It's still strong and it's great not having to change out the spools of thread so many times. I got the pattern on line for really cheap so it's a great deal. I'm also making biscotti and spumonte cakes for gifts. I'm going the less stress way this yr and what gets done gets done. I'm also emboridering my Christmas cards to give to my loved ones.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    If you want a great fudge that is cheap and easy to make. Go to Rachael Ray's site and get her recipe for no bake fudge (I think that's what it is called) you melt all ingredients on top of the stove and I put mine in a silicone pan sprayed with Pam to make removing easy. Every one that gets it has always loved it; it takes like 5min (which could also be the name) to make so you can get a lot done in a short amount of time.
    Judy

For my siblings and spouses I saved up my Joanns coupons and bought throughout the year, each one of those insulated coffee cups for the car, with each goes a mug rug. Which was finished months ago...I do enjoy not having to be stressed during the holidays.

For those of you that live near a Michaels-they have ceramic mini loaf pans for $1. i buy them, bake a loaf of pumpkin bread in them and give them as gifts to family. One year i didn't have a chance to bake so i filled them with candy i ahd made.they are always a hit and my family re-uses the pans for candy dishes or dip bowls when they entertain.
    One year i went in to michaels AFTER Christmas and the pans were .10. I bought a stack of them for the next years gifts.

Blog Entries
    OK...I went to several crafts stores today to do the felt soap. I could not find that wool any where...was bummed but the good news is ended up making the Christmas ornaments with my sister and her grandkids. It was sooooo easy and its just three ingredients. My sister did not have a mixer or blender so we hand mixed it with a large spoon and then kneaded...it was so easy and fast. The kids had a great time...baking time is two hours. I left before they were out of the oven.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing!
    You know if your a quilter when you cleanup your sewing room and your family thinks your moving out!! Author U/K Sue

I am sewing flannel pillow cases for the nieces and nephews. I tried to match the fabric to what they are into. Niece Ellie likes owls, so I found some cute flannel with owls on it. Nephews are into sports, other nieces are into princesses and gymnastics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast