lunch and dinner

Old 08-09-2017, 05:30 PM

My father was a mail carrier, so he carried a "dinner pail". He ate his dinner in the car while we at home ate fried potatoes and other leftovers for dinner. We had a big supper of meat, potatoes and gravy with vegetables and most often, apple dessert.

We were invited to my cousin's wedding in St Paul. At 6:00 PM was the "Wedding Supper".
Old 08-10-2017, 06:16 AM

Breakfast, lunch, dinner for me. I thought "supper" was a British thing for a long time. Time varies quite a bit - I am an insomniac and sometimes start my day at 2AM, so I eat at all sorts of odd times.

The animals know "hungry". When it's about food-time for the pets I will ask, "Are you guys hungry?" and chaos erupts as the dogs bark to let me know that yes indeed, they are hungry; and the cat goes racing to his bowl to yowl at me until the bowl is full.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Endora View Post
Breakfast... lunch... supper, always in that order, and always by that name.
Yes, here too. Dinner was big and special like at Christmas.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:53 AM

Growing up Dad always called Lunch dinner and our evening meal was Supper. We ate at 6 pm on the dot every night. Every other Sunday Dad cooked.....started early in the morning and by 2 in the afternoon.....we ate till we popped, dining on Fisherman's stew and crusty french bread. The other Sundays my brother made the best pot roast cooked on the grill for hours. He would double wrap the roast and all the veggies (potatoes, carrots and onions) separately.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:47 AM

On the farm: Breakfast, morning lunch (actually mid morning coffee break), dinner at noon, afternoon lunch (another coffee break) and finally supper.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:41 PM

My DH has started using Lupper to describe an later afternoon lunch that will take the place of lunch and supper now we are both retired. He also says Linner for the same but seems to prefer how Lupper rolls off his tongue. I have to eat more frequently so on those days I have snacks before and later on. I guess I could call them Lacks and Sacks for Lunch Snacks and Supper Snacks but that would just get too confusing.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:50 PM

Here in my neck of the woods it is Breakfast,,Lunch,,Supper
Old 09-02-2017, 08:41 PM

Breakfast, Lunch then Supper/Dinner. Lunch is the only word used to describe a mid-day meal. Supper and Dinner are interchangeable, although dinner may be a more formal or fancy meal. In my family dinner is a more common than supper, ie: "What's for dinner?"

Wedding Breakfast refers to the meal eaten after a wedding ceremony, no matter the time of day.

My step Mum is a Kiwi, Tea can mean a noon or evening meal depending on the location. Pudding refers to all types of dessert including but not limited to actual pudding. Apple Pie could be pudding. A dish you eat dessert from is a pudding dish.