Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Maine vacation in July - looking for information and suggestions >

Maine vacation in July - looking for information and suggestions

Maine vacation in July - looking for information and suggestions

Old 04-02-2011, 06:09 AM

I used this for my Hawaii vacation plans and was so richly rewarded with all of your suggestions. In July, I will be driving to Maine, mostly to see the lighthouses, and of course the fabric/quilt stores. I plan on starting at Midcoast and venturing through Downeast Acadia. It will be a week long trip, so any suggestions of places that are "must see" and places to stay the night will be most appreciated!
Old 04-02-2011, 06:21 AM

There are 3 towns close together, Conway, North Conway and the Town of Conway, close to the White Mountains. There's even a train you can take through the area (kids used to take this train to go to school). My parents used to live in Sebago Lake, another great area.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:28 AM

be sure to allow as much time as possible for Mt. Desert Island , Acadia NP, if you enjoy nature. The coast is beautiful.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:26 AM

Conway and the White Mountains are in New Hampshire so if you are not planning to go to NH, it is a bit of a ride from the coast of Maine. There are so many beautiful coastal towns. If you start at Boothbay and proceed down then you will have a wonderful sightseeing tour. Camden, Me is just a beautiful town. There are plenty of art, antique and just plain fun places to shop all along the coast. Freeport, Maine has the famous L.L. Bean open 24 hours.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:34 AM
dd

I vote for Mt. Desert Island. We were there for our 30th wedding anniversary in October and it was beautiful. There are fabric stores there too. One is really close to the bridge to the island. We stayed close to Bar Harbor but drove all over. Must take a carriage ride thru the park if you go. You will love the island. You won't like the traffic around Boston though.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:55 AM

Check out Cottonweeds in Freeport, ME. I love that shop. Hit Marden's in Scarborough near the South Portland line for great deals on fabric (4.99 a yard and sometimes less). Quilting by the Sea in Trenton (on the way to Mt. Desert) and another Marden's in Ellsworth before Trenton.
Looking forward to other suggestions!
Oh, and the Maine Quilt Show is at the end of July. Also, a nice, little show in Bridgton, Maine in July but that would probably be out of your way.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:29 AM

Great suggestions, and they all seem to be hitting the same spots....so....will put those on the list. Yeah, the traffic in Boston is a bugger. Bar Harbor is a definite, and looks like Mt. Desert Island is another one.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:36 PM

Sorry about the Conway post - I used to go there all the time when I visited mom and dad in Maine - just a short ride.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:38 PM

Gotta stop at the lobster shacks on the ocean for lobster in the rough or a lobster roll. Freeport has lots of outlets, including LL bean's, I like the outlet better then the regular store, but I love a bargain (or I'm cheap) or both :lol:

If you're going thru Boston, years ago there used to be lots of fabric outlets on lower Washington Street (the combat zone), don't know if they are still there, maybe a Bostonian can fill us in. Also someone wrote about a great outlet in Dorchestor or Westwood, I think?? Again, any locals help??
Old 04-02-2011, 03:42 PM

Bar Harbor is right on the Island, so you'll be all set. I think the little shop in Bar Harbor is Fabricate. Be prepared, the island will be crowded in July. Oh, and in Hancock, right down the road from Ellsworth is a great yarn shop called Shirley's. There's also a good restaurant called Ruth and Wimpey's down the road from that.