Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Make my machine insert more slippery

Make my machine insert more slippery

Well, I have my new sewing cabinet and yesterday the acrylic insert arrived. It is great! However the insert is sort of 'grabby' and the fabric doesn't slide well. I looked on the sew steady site for suggestions; they sell a small container of paste/wax for $10 plus shipping. Sort of pricey I think and besides I want it now - not next week. I know, I shouldn't be so impatient. However, I am betting someone on the board will know something I can use to make the insert slippery. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    get some spray on silicone, just don't get in on the floor!! spray it on rub it down and it will be super slick
    Patski
    always learning

Blog Entries
    RainX is like a soft liquid wax... I used to use it on my glass showers when I lived in California and water would just bead down. I bet it would work great on your sewing surface.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Blog Entries
    car wax - it works

I vote for car wax, the paste kind, rub it on, let it glaze over and polish it off. Works great for me, I wax my table tops a couple of times a year.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sassysews2 View Post
    I vote for car wax, the paste kind, rub it on, let it glaze over and polish it off. Works great for me, I wax my table tops a couple of times a year.
    Going to try this on a test insert for my 401 cabinet.

I use the "fabric friendly" silicone, got it at Hancock's, works fabulous and I agree with patski, definitely don't get it on the floor, or you'll go flying.

I think I will try the car wax. Thanks for the suggestion. I will get some and try it. I do have a question about rain.. X. If I use it on my shower glass, do I need to worry about getting it on the floor? Will it make the floor slippery?

Blog Entries
    Just one quick ? Is there by any chance a plastic film on it to protect the acrylic? Mine a a film on it that just peels off. Sometimes it is hard to tell if it is there. Check for this and if not, I would go with the car wax. I have found that silicone just contaminates everything.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Seems there is a RainX product specific for shower doors. https://www.rainx.com/product/for-th.../#.VpJI6K9OKrU

this is what i have used for several years now and it is GREAT... no more mold in corners.. no spots on the shower curtain..........

SHOWER CLEANER..MYO
    From Miss Linda in Indiana

1 cup hydrogen peroxide
    6 drops blue Dawn dish liquid
    2 capful Jet dry
    Mix with water to fill a quart spray bottle.
    Spray and squeegee or wipe.
    The peroxide will help prevent mildew on your shower curtains too.

The acrylic table on my Janome 8900 is not as slick as I'd like. I hadn't thought of car wax, but it makes a lot of sense as it dries really hard. Thanks for the info.

Senior Member carolstickelmaier's Avatar
    '
    FREE! Mine was like that and at a retreat one of the ladies fixed it. She took new unwashed fabric and polished my acrylic table! NO more stickies. It was as slick as can be. If I think it is not slick enough at times I polish it again. WORKED!

Nope, no plastic film on the insert; I checked. And I am going to try the unwashed fabric suggestion. I always have plenty of that around.