Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Making Your Machine Quilting Surface Super Slippery

Making Your Machine Quilting Surface Super Slippery

I was watching a video and the presenter said to spray the surface over which the quilt will move while being machine quilted (presumably any acrylic table and machine area) with Sewing grade Silicone Spray.

The machine quilting teacher at my LQS suggested using Turtle Wax on the acrylic table. After seeing the video, I wondered if there might be some residue from the wax that might cause staining. Apparently the sewing grade silicone spray will not stain.

Have any of you used either of these methods? Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Cathy

I'd like to know a brand name, so I'd know what to search for.

Good question, I use a silicon mat on my acrylic table, pricey little devil but it does a good job. On my FMQ table I use a large piece of mylar. I'd be curious to know if the spray dries well enough to not be a problem.
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Interesting....wondering about the pros and cons of this.

I have used a furniture polish spray on both my table and bed of the machine with no issues. Made it just slippery enough.

The can shown here appears to be the one used in the video.

http://jeancreates.blogspot.com/2011...one-spray.html

I've read about this spray before, but haven't found it. Has anyone in Canada been using a spray? Where do you find it? and the brand name? Please and Thanks!

LaLaLand ... you mentioned a silicone mat? How large? The one I saw at my LQS seemed pretty small, in perspective to what I thought would be workable.
    Also, what really is mylar? Isn't that what those foil type helium balloons are made from?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here in the UK you can buy silicone spray (called Easy Glide ) at MacCulloch & Wallis which is a hardcore dressmaker supply shop. Perhaps try somewhere similar in North America ?

I use it all the time. I have ordered the spray online, and I will warn you, you can't buy just one can of Silicone spray, you have to buy the whole case, and it isn't cheep. The spray is called Misty Economy Silicone spray. It really works great. I spray my pressure foot, my sewing table, my accrilic, everything that I can make my sewing better.
    My DH uses it for his car and stuff around the house too. Its handy for a lot of things.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-08-2017 at 03:46 AM. Reason: remove selling

JT
    I bought the Sullivan brand shown in the above video. I got mine at Hancocks.
    JT

Quote Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
    I was watching a video and the presenter said to spray the surface over which the quilt will move while being machine quilted (presumably any acrylic table and machine area) with Sewing grade Silicone Spray.

The machine quilting teacher at my LQS suggested using Turtle Wax on the acrylic table. After seeing the video, I wondered if there might be some residue from the wax that might cause staining. Apparently the sewing grade silicone spray will not stain.

Have any of you used either of these methods? Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Cathy

The brand you are referring to is Sullivan spray silicone for sewing I watched the same video, I think, and googled and only found one place that has the Sullivan brand. There have to be more places to find it. I'm on the search for it so if you found it somewhere, please let me know where? Thanks, Cammy

I use Pledge. Works just fine and I have it on hand for the furniture anyway. Does not stain or discolor the acrylic, easy to find at any grocery store, inexpensive, and smells nice. I believe in using multi-taskers.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Question Wouldn't this stain your quilt though?

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    I use Pledge. Works just fine and I have it on hand for the furniture anyway. Does not stain or discolor the acrylic, easy to find at any grocery store, inexpensive, and smells nice. I believe in using multi-taskers.
    ummmm, Pledge? Pledge has oils in it. I understand it won't stain the acrylic but what about your quilt? I sometimes leave mine under the needle and on the bed for a while. I would be very afraid it would seep into the quilt fabric. I guess it may wash out but not too sure I would want it in there to start with.

The company that I bought my plexiglass insert for my sewing table recommends turtle wax. I haven't done this yet though.

Blog Entries
    Sewers Aid is pure liquid silicone. A few drops on a soft cloth will slick and buff great and cost less then the spray.
    FYI: the expensive tiny bottle of no frizz hair serum is liquid silicone.
    Got fabric?

Does/has anyone used food grade silicone? I have some that we use on our meat grinder, keeps it clean from rusting after using for storage. ??

Quote Originally Posted by SoSewSue View Post
    Here in the UK you can buy silicone spray (called Easy Glide ) at MacCulloch & Wallis which is a hardcore dressmaker supply shop. Perhaps try somewhere similar in North America ?
    Thanks!
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

Quote Originally Posted by Helen6869 View Post
    ummmm, Pledge? Pledge has oils in it. I understand it won't stain the acrylic but what about your quilt? I sometimes leave mine under the needle and on the bed for a while. I would be very afraid it would seep into the quilt fabric. I guess it may wash out but not too sure I would want it in there to start with.
    The main ingredient (after the propellants) in Pledge Furniture Polish is silicone, not oil or wax. I've never had any kind of absorbtion into fabrics, either quilts or tablecloths, due to Pledge. (The only ingredient even remotely resembling an oil is an isoparaffinic solvent that is a degreasing agent. It is a hydrocarbon.)
    Last edited by ghostrider; 09-13-2012 at 04:44 AM.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I don't know about the other suggestions mentioned here, but I would be afraid to use the Turtle Wax for fear of staining the fabric.

I've used Turtle wax and never had a problem. I've also used Harley quick wax (spray) and not had any problem No fabric staining what so ever.

My MIL suggested to use silicone spray to polish my stainless steel appliances. She warned me not to spray close to the floor since it becomes Extremely slippery. Well, I thought I did not spray the floor until I landed on my patukus in the middle of the kitchen right in front of the fridge. Needless to say, I never used it again because all of us were slipping and sliding until I managed to get it cleaned. So, watch where you spray!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-08-2017 at 03:44 AM.

Sullivan's Silicone Spray $9.99 for 11 ounce can at Nancy's Notions, "Quilt Glide" is another "name brand" to use ONLY on sewing machine bed, Not fabric per instructions on the can. Google quilt glide to find a store or get Sullivan's from Nancy's Notion or somewhere close to you that offers it! Google is a wonderful tool to find these things
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-08-2017 at 03:45 AM. Reason: remove shouting

If Turtle Wax dries hard enough to withstand the car wash, then it's not going to transfer to fabric once it's dry. I have used furniture polish, but lately, I don't use anything.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Also, what really is mylar? Isn't that what those foil type helium balloons are made from?
    Mylar is actually the plastic layer that is stuck to the aluminum layer on the balloons. Mylar is the plastic they use for xray plastics and it is also used for the originals for some types of bluelines/ blueprints.

I've used both and wax does help to make it slippery, but in my opinion the silicone spray is better. I use the spray over my entire "quilting" table, which is just cardboard boxes, taped together, then a couple of pieces of the heavy clear vinyl from JoAnn's, which is also taped, then spray lightly, wipe off and boy, does it make a huge difference.

I'm not in my sewing room right now, so I don't know the brand name, but you should be able to pick a can up at any fabric store.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast