Making my own Piping

Old 12-11-2017, 02:08 PM

Default Making my own Piping

Is there a good video on how to cut the fabric on the bias when making piping? I don't have any fancy Bias rulers, which I wish I would, so is there any easy way? I am making a pillow and want my own fabric piping. After I make it is is hard to attach it to the pillow edges? Any youtube video suggestions would be great! Thanks
Old 12-11-2017, 03:00 PM

I know there are good youtube videos for making piping and applying to pillows because I used them when I made throw pillows a few years ago. I don't have the exact one I used saved to this laptop, sorry. If you just go to YouTube.com and then do a search for making pillows with piping you will easily find many helpful videos. Just keep looking through them until you find the one that works for you. I know that mine did not require a special ruler for the bias piping since I don't have one. I do remember getting the "string" or cording for the piping at Joann's. Good luck, I thought it was fun to do.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:59 PM

McCalls Quilting used to have wonderful print/video tutorials for lots of things quilty and I know they had one for bias binding. You could use the same technique to cut continuous bias for piping.

However, apparently McCalls has merged with a number of other companies to become something called "The Quilting Company" and their lovely tutorials are no longer looking the same... I could only find video tutorials. I prefer print ones as we have very slow internet speed - all that's available where we live.

Thus far, I'm not impressed with this new move, but maybe I'll explore a little more around the site and see what I can find that is useful and presented in a way I prefer.

Here is a link to one I did find, it's a video:

https://www.quiltingcompany.com/sew-...-bias-binding/
Old 12-12-2017, 04:57 AM

Here you go!

https://sew4home.com/tips-resources/...s-bias-binding

and here

http://www.patemeadows.com/Cutting-B...ing_ep_61.html
Old 12-12-2017, 08:31 AM

I don't have a special ruler for cutting bias either but if you start at one corner and cut a 45 degree angle and then use that as your ruler, I would assume that would do it. Also I have a special "pearl" foot I used to use to sew the piping into its casing and then onto whatever it is I want to attach it to. But now I've gone to using my zipper foot as I have better luck getting really close to the edge. At least this foot works for me. May not work for you.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:43 AM

I've never owned a "bias ruler". I actually didn't know there was such a thing. Regular rulers have a 45 degree line which creates bias. That's what I use. I used to use a zipper foot to put the piping on and it worked pretty well. My Bernina has a foot for putting piping on that works really well.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
McCalls Quilting used to have wonderful print/video tutorials for lots of things quilty and I know they had one for bias binding. You could use the same technique to cut continuous bias for piping.

However, apparently McCalls has merged with a number of other companies to become something called "The Quilting Company" and their lovely tutorials are no longer looking the same... I could only find video tutorials. I prefer print ones as we have very slow internet speed - all that's available where we live.

Thus far, I'm not impressed with this new move, but maybe I'll explore a little more around the site and see what I can find that is useful and presented in a way I prefer.

Here is a link to one I did find, it's a video:

https://www.quiltingcompany.com/sew-...-bias-binding/
Yes, I was very surprised and disappointed to see this change. There are no longer any free patterns.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by selm View Post
Yes, I was very surprised and disappointed to see this change. There are no longer any free patterns.

Yes, I noted that too - makes me sad, because that was the website I always told people to go to to look for instructions on basic techniques. Sign of the times I guess.