Making a Non-Slip Play Mat

Old 04-10-2018, 01:28 PM

Default Making a Non-Slip Play Mat

My little grandson was given a play mat with roads, buildings, RR tracks, etc. His mom wants to use it as a rug in his room, but it is made of a kind of loose felt, and is very slippery on a bare floor. I (blissfully ignorant) volunteered to add a non-slip backing to it, which would stabilize it at the same time. I thought the rubber-like grid mats that are sold to line drawers and cabinets would work well, and I have used small pieces of it to sew things before.
However, when I tried sewing on the long pieces needed to cover the back, the felt part kind of gathers up, and leaves bumps and valleys. I had to sew with the rubber mesh side up, and a strip of wax paper on top to allow the pieces to pass under the presser foot. Pretty sure there is no way the rubber mesh piece could be down, as it is really non skid, and wouldn't move at all.

So I took the stitching out and tried gluing the two fabrics together. First I used spray glue, and that did not stick at all. Then I tried watered down Elmer's glue, and although it works on a small sample on which I really saturated it with glue, it doesn't seem to be working on the larger piece. Actually, checking the sample now, I see it's not sticking either.

So do you have any idea what I can use to make this mat non-skid? Is there a rug backing that I can buy in a large piece? (about 4 by 6 feet)

This is like making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. It's a cheap, poorly made mat that is probably not even washable. I have already spent more time and money than it's worth. Arg!
Old 04-10-2018, 01:43 PM

Here's one at Bed, Bath and Beyond. If you looked, you could probably find a better deal. I'd just buy one and be done with it.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...ord=kids%20rug
Old 04-10-2018, 04:29 PM

Would you be able to sew on the stuff you tried the first time if you lessened your presser foot pressure? You would have to do it "sticky" side up with wax paper still, but the lighter pressure (and a longer stitch length) may work.
Please let us know what you eventually try that works! Good luck!
Old 04-10-2018, 05:21 PM

Wal Mart has product that you put on the floor and then lay the rug over it. You wouldn't sew it. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ultra-Sto...d5aa594ee93c83

I had read something about someone using either Elmer's glue or some type of silicon drizzled on the back of a slippery item to stop the slipping. You have to let it dry afterwards. I don't know if it would be washable. Here are some possible solutions. https://www.reference.com/home-garde...b6c42d0870e82a
Old 04-10-2018, 05:33 PM

Can you hand sew it on with carpet thread and a large needle? Not fun, but a better chance it would work.....
Old 04-10-2018, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

That grid-like matting is sold in larger sizes, such as 4'x6'. It is not necessary to attach it to the rug; it is designed to sit between the rug and the flooring. I have seen it in sold in Home Goods stores and also at Fleet Farm in their carpeting section.

Here's one on Amazon that comes in a 4'x6' size:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IAVY52U...523413219&sr=3

Edit: If you absolutely must attach it to the rug, I would just hand-stitch the grid to the rug at the corners and a few places along the edges -- just enough to keep it in place. That backing can go through the washing machine later, if necessary, although you wouldn't want to put it through the dryer (can start disintegrating).

Last edited by Prism99; 04-10-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:38 PM

The grid matting I have is actually in three pieces, cut from shelf lining rolls. I did lessen the presser foot tension, but may see if I can get by with loosening it some ore. My other plan is to just tack the matting down, kind of like hand tying a quilt, but not so deliberately obvious.
I would be happy to buy him a better one, or make him one---a cute quilt idea? but his mom gave it to him, so I have to mind my manners, lol.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:40 AM

How about backing the original mat with a sheet/fabric and then deal with a solid fabric.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:50 AM

Rather than the drawer lining stuff, try using rug backing. It is a larger grid and sold on the roll (54" wide). Since it is a larger grid, you can simply hand tac spots to hold. I have machine stitched to the edge (actually in about an inch) of a small throw rug and then just hand stitched at a few random spots within.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:58 AM

I think you could make your own grid by using hot glue gun. That is what I use on the bath mats.