making your bed

Old 08-17-2016, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by PABerard View Post
Yes, I do, but never required my children to make their's. I decided to pick my battles. When the rest of my day has become unraveled, at least there is order on my bed.
I didn't require my children to make their's, either, for the same reason. And I didn't make my bed for years and years. I did good just getting my kids to school and myself to work every morning. Several years ago I caught a minute of a morning TV show that was talking about ten little things that make you happy. I didn't catch the other nine, but one of them was making your bed. It does give me a little sense of accomplishment every morning.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:51 AM

Don't usually post from work but had to for this one. Bottom line, I 'straighten' my bed each morning. DH kicks out tucked in corners every day so don't bother with doing a full 'make' of the bed. And yes, a mattress pad as it was required on our last mattress purchase for warranty purposes.

But the reason I had to respond to this post...Like many of you, yes, I was required to make my bed each morning before leaving for school. Reason per mom was 'if the house catches fire, I don't want to be embarrassed in front of the firemen with messy bedrooms'. So...get the directive one morning 'don't make your bed, I'm stripping them today'. No argument from me. (do you see where this is going?) Get a call later in the day at school that my mother was coming to pick me up early from school because the house had caught fire! Was only room and contents downstairs in the family room but still lots of smoke damage throughout the rest of the house.

We teased mom mercilessly about this until the day she died.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:20 AM

Dh and I straighten the bed up and put pillows where they belong. Mattress pad in use always.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:23 AM

I leave my sheets and quilts pulled down with the window open to "air out" till about noon.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:33 AM

Sometimes yes sometimes nope ... I like to have it "spread" up and the big pillows throw on top but there are other days when getting dressed is more important (standing in front of closet too long wondering what to wear... oh wait, jeans and a tshirt again).

It is nice to have it all smoothed out for bedtime but I always pull the sheets back and check for spiders since I have seen them "on" the bed before (ARGHHHHHH).
Old 08-17-2016, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
Nope - my bed is never made unless I change the sheets. It is in a room that the door is closed at all times and nobody knows but me.
I was going to be chicken but thanks for posting NikkiLu. I can't remember any time in my life that I made my bed on a daily basis. Company coming or the sheets need to be changed it does get made. No quilt on my bed since my apt is always warm even when it snowed!
Old 08-17-2016, 09:15 AM

I made the bed for 55 years until I saw this on tv:
Those who have a horror of creepy-crawlies may want to stop reading now, because here's why: Leaving your bed unmade, according to scientists, allows the million or so dust mites who share the sack with you every night to die off.
I now throw the sheets and comforter across the foot of the bed to let it air out. I will admit I'd rather have a made bed.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
Nope - my bed is never made unless I change the sheets. It is in a room that the door is closed at all times and nobody knows but me. DH has his own room and does not make his bed either - a complete waste of time as far as I am concerned.
I agree. Although I was always taught at home to make my bed, I never do. I have 3 dogs who wallow on it anyway so making it would pretty much be a waste of time. Its in our bedroom. If someone peeks and sees my unmade bed, I don't much care. They shouldn't be looking
Old 08-17-2016, 09:43 AM

It all depends on the day - my DH usually makes the bed. He likes to put all the fancy pillows on it which I find a waste of time. And I do prefer the bed to air out before being made, so I usually make it after I get dressed after eating breakfast. If my DH wants to add the pillows later, that's fine, just not something I like to deal with when I am going to bed.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:55 AM

I straighten out my bed every day when I get out of it. I have cats and dogs who will not stay off the bed so I have to. I even have a "fake" pillow to put on my side of the bed to keep the cat from sleeping on the one I put my face on. My kids had to make their beds before breakfast, and have their room cleaned before they could eat dinner (after dinner is for relaxing.) . Never made an exception and they are both happy clean freaks, like me, today.