Masks

Old 09-16-2021, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
of course - if one stays home no need for mask. If one lives in area with low case (or sickness) rates and high vaccination rates less need for mask. If one lives in a place like we do with minimal masking, people not social distancing, government rules prohibiting any safety requirements, hospitals full with COVID patients, unvaccinated dying at much higher rates than vaccinated then some of us will opt in to the mask. I don’t want to be even a little sick. Breakthrough infections very rare and deaths from breakthrough rarer yet. No vaccine is going to be perfect.
i don’t think a lot of people understand that wearing a mask is for everyone, not just themselves. Our provincial govt declared the pandemic over and opened everything up at the end of June despite the data that told us Delta variant was on the rise. Most people wanted to believe it so stopped wearing masks, social distancing, etc. Last evening the same government admitted they were wrong and among several other restrictions masks are now mandatory again. Our ICUs are over capacity, HCW are burning out, deaths are way up, vaccinated rate is lowest in the country. Wearing a mask is for the benefit of everyone.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
i don’t think a lot of people understand that wearing a mask is for everyone, not just themselves. Our provincial govt declared the pandemic over and opened everything up at the end of June despite the data that told us Delta variant was on the rise. Most people wanted to believe it so stopped wearing masks, social distancing, etc. Last evening the same government admitted they were wrong and among several other restrictions masks are now mandatory again. Our ICUs are over capacity, HCW are burning out, deaths are way up, vaccinated rate is lowest in the country. Wearing a mask is for the benefit of everyone.
totally agree with you
Old 09-16-2021, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

There are patterns for full face masks ( no front seam ) that I found and the fit is very good. It can be found on Pretty
Handy Girl.com. It is one of the best ,I think.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

If you are wearing a mask how can someone not wearing one make you sick? When I wear a mask it's for my protection not others.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
If you are wearing a mask how can someone not wearing one make you sick? When I wear a mask it's for my protection not others.
the CDC says this “If you've been fully vaccinated: You can resume activities that you did prior to the pandemic. To reduce the risk of being infected with the Delta variant and possibly spreading it to others, wear a mask indoors in public if you are in an area of substantial or high transmission”. We are in such a place.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:39 AM

Masks work better when both people wear them.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:58 PM
Power Poster

Some amount of the virus is able to get through most face masks - in both directions! If you wear one, you're reducing the amount that of the virus that escapes from you, as well as reducing the amount of the virus that you breathe in. If someone near you wears one, they are reducing the amount of the virus that can reach you, as well as reducing the amount that they breathe in. Both people wearing masks increases the protection for everyone.
Old 09-17-2021, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

Sad that so many are resistant to the masks. I don’t love them either but want to protect myself and my fellow citizens.
Old 09-17-2021, 03:13 PM

I was a bit bored today, so I looked at my states health departments covid data. Very interesting. The counties are colored by what percentage of folks are vaccinated, and another one for what the latest rate of infection is, and I previously I looked at the map of what counties voted republican and what ones voted democratic. Well, You could just about overlay all three and the colors would match up. The republican counties have the fewest vaccinated and highest rates of infection. Go figure. Me, I will keep wearing my mask and isolating although I do live in one of the counties with the higher rates of vaccinated and lower rates of infection. I have upgrade however for the most part to an N95 when I need to go to places, like dr's appts where there are a lot of folks. Our local stores now have a supply of N95's available for purchase. I see too many people wearing masks improperly. Oh, and although our state has about 73 % of people over 16 vaccinated, we are near capacity for ICU's. That is scary. I know, medical folks have quit due to burnout and a fair number have died. It is really sad....I am beyond anger anymore...just grieving for what did not need to be lost and the people who have lost a loved one.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:04 PM
Power Poster

The unvaccinated makes a choice. That is on them. All the vaccinated I know that has gotten covid after vaccination so far haven't had to go to hospital but they got covid and have no idea how since no one else in the family had it or got it later. It's a gamble no matter how safe you are or think you are.