Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: May I ask a hat question here?

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grambi
    Thanks for the links. Fascinators, huh? Well it is fascinating. I just have to channel my old Granny and say--"if everyone else were jumping of a cliff, would you do it too?" :):)
    Hmmm, perhaps not in Spring Branch. ;-)
    And Arkansas is definitely out of the question, as we've been warned (amusingly) upthread. ;-)

Walking down 7th Avenue in NYC, however, you can get away with a LOT. Very few people would even notice. ;-)
    :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I too love hats and don't know why the women in our country don't wear them anymore. True there was a time when Catholic and Episcopal women had to wear them to church but when I watch old movies I see that women often wore them during the week, even to work. Getting back to the hats at the wedding yes there were some silly ones but for the most part the hats were lovely.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jskbloomers
    When I was growing up, we were required to cover our heads in church (Episcopal). I had the cutest hats and elaborate veils. Duel purpose-It was for respect and you really couldn't have a bad hair day when it was covered. I miss those hat days as my hair gets thinner................
    We did too (Catholic) If we forgot ours the nuns would make us put pin a tissue on our heads. What a funny memory of elementary school lol :D:D

But I do think hats are wonderful. We've really gotten away from it in America. I think hats are elegant!!!

Hats are an art form in England. I think they are fascinating. I stick to a fedora, ball cap and sun hat. But I love seeing what they wear in England and look at them as an art form not just a hat.

Hats bring 2 things to mind
    The Joe Cocker song "You can leave your hat on"
    and The Kentucky Derby

Combs and pins (I still have some somewhere!). I love hats and have many...can't say I'm a fan of the fascinator, but they have been in vogue for many years. I think it was the 1800's when tiaras would have little jewelled attachments that moved and caught the light, often in the form of butterflies and birds. The fascinator stems from that. Hats are pretty popular here in Australia (for special events) and you can buy all the bits and bobs to make fascinators at fabric stores (Spotlight in particular).

I think headwear adds a sense of "dressing up" and I rather like the idea....whether some people can carry it off, well that's another story.

I loved all the hats, very pretty although there were some odd looking ones. I wear a wide brim straw hat in the yard during the summer. I would love to wear the fancy ones if they ever become popular here again. :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PamB8s
    I love the hats, but could not get away with wearing one of those in the Arkansas Ozarks. Step outside in one of those and guys around here would start shootin, thinking a new bird was in town.
    Im sorry but I couldnt help but laugh at your comment... I had a very clear mental image about a new bird being in town... :)

Hats are commonly worn in Oz because of the sun. They are a required part of the school uniform. Lots wear them to weddings and church but it is not considered compulsory. However, when I lived in England it was considered quite necessary for church and weddings - and of course the woolly sort to keep the head warm. I prefer to wear a scarf on my head and don't think that it is something most people would bother commenting on - you either wear it or you don't...personal choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Grambi
    No kidding. If I were Kate and my friends and family showed up at my wedding with those goofy hats I would be upset. Guests at a wedding are not supposed to upstage (is that the word) the bride. It was tasteless. It was a wedding not a costume party! I just saw a little of some of the wedding clips, so I probably missed some of the hats.
    You have to remember that this is GB and hats are a fashion statement there. :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimito2
    Hats bring 2 things to mind
    The Joe Cocker song "You can leave your hat on"
    and The Kentucky Derby
    Whenever I hear "You can leave your hat on..." I think of the Full Monty! :-D

j
    That is their way of doing things and it is considered appropriate, so we can't talk -- I actually miss wearing hats and then there are the men who don't have the respect of taking off their caps in the house. - J

Blog Entries
    The British have a thing for hats, and yes they are required at the Abby along with covered arms. I thought her wedding dress was perfect for her and she was smart her train was only 9 feet long and much easier to handle on the carpet. Designers sometimes forget that the carpet acts as a reverse on the train and pulls it back. The wedding was beatiful. I wonder how many stayed up all night and had bacon sandwiches with Harry.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachbound
    Hat pins work too. I love hats & love to see them come in style :)
    I agree. I have 9 hats, although most of them are the Newsboy types. I love wearing them and I do all winter as they are either velvet, suede or angora. I also have my "Pink hat" for the Red Hat society. I also have a black felt fedora. I don't wear it often because it doesn't fit very well and the wind tries to take off with it.

I wear hats alot. But some of those were wwaayy out there. And then there were some that I wish that I had.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dforesee
    I loved the hats ... and I don't think anything could have upstaged this bride. She was gorgeous and what a sweet, sweet fairy tale wedding it was.
    I agree and I think that what made it a fairy tale wedding is that Prince Williams really loves kate as apose to his father who married prince di only to have an heir.

To us in the USA the hats were different, but it is the custom in the UK. The ladies wear hats all the time. Please lets not criticize our British friends. Maybe the hats at the wedding will start a trend here in the US. But the question of how they kept them on their head is legitimate. Inquiring minds would love to know the answer to that one.

hat pins. My grandmama used to ware hats to church. I even have a few pics of me and my sister with matching outfits with hats. would have been early 60's. before WW11 women wore hats lots of times. We have a horse race or 2 here in SC and the women bring out their hats for the occasion.

i agree and the more tastless dresses too. they had party clothes on. not the stuff you would wear to a wedding. they should have known better.

jane

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PamB8s
    I love the hats, but could not get away with wearing one of those in the Arkansas Ozarks. Step outside in one of those and guys around here would start shootin, thinking a new bird was in town.
    :lol: I almost spit coffee when I read this. I can just see it! I lived in Arkansas awhile.

We were required to wear hats at our friends wedding in England. I think its fun. I remember having to wear hats for communion in Illinois.

Blog Entries
    What were they thinking? "What hat can I wear that will get me on TV?"

Sigh. I love hats. I frequently wear hats, some of them probably more outlandish than the usual fare in the US.

But I don't care. LOVE 'em.

Almost all of my hats can be worn without pins but for one or two, a comb or pin can be a big help on a windy day.

Quote Originally Posted by janedb
    i agree and the more tastless dresses too. they had party clothes on. not the stuff you would wear to a wedding. they should have known better.

jane
    I don't recall seeing anything like this - ?

Super glue.LOL

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast