Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: May I ask a hat question here?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LoriEl
    Got me. But my mom said that the ladies were supposed to wear hats to the wedding so...
    And white gloves ?

They really looked kind of frumpy, didn't they?

We always had a new hat at Easter when I was growing up.
    That's been awhile..like 65 or 70 years ago. After I married seems hardly anyone wore them. However, about 20 years or so ago, at the request of my husband (he really
    likes to see women wear hats) I did buy about a dozen. Then
    after a few short years, I began to fee conspicous when I
    wore a hat, because everyone else at church dressed really,
    really casual. We go to a Baptist church and the ladies
    there all dress quite nicely, so I do wear them again from
    time to time. Not so much in the summer as they are a bit
    warm. I am not alone, others wear them also from time to
    time. It is disturbing to me that at weddings, funerals
    and special occasions, that people don't just dress casual
    it seems some dress "just plain sloppy". If it is all they
    have I could accept that, but I know they could do better.

I could see the head bands on some of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by JJC
    Quote Originally Posted by gramacheri
    How in the world did some of the ladies at the royal wedding keep their hats on? They were on the front of their heads or hanging off the side. They must have been glued to their hair or something. (and WHAT were some of them thinking when they picked them out??)
    Some of them looked like they were attatched to a head band and yes some of them were very different looking.

Dee
    When I was young we'd wear hats and gloves to church.

Blog Entries
    I can't believe that not one lady on this board mentioned the ladies who wear RED HATs (I'm one of them) At our monthly meeting which is a luncheon, we ALWAYS wear hats. Red hats most months but purple hats in our birth month and the "birth" month of the organization and our chapter. Some of us even make our own hats and many adorn plain hats that they bought in local stores. I even was given a shocking pink hat that I transformed into a red hat with purple trim with fabrics that I bought at Hancock's.

Yes, back in the dark ages when I was growing up, we all wore hats and gloves. Fortunately, I kept a pair of red mid arm gloves that I wear with my red hat garb. It is a bit warm in the summer to wear felt hats but straw and other light weight fabrics make it bearable. Try it, it's FUN.

i love hats.

Quote Originally Posted by blueheavenfla
    I can't believe that not one lady on this board mentioned the ladies who wear RED HATs (I'm one of them) At our monthly meeting which is a luncheon, we ALWAYS wear hats. Red hats most months but purple hats in our birth month and the "birth" month of the organization and our chapter. Some of us even make our own hats and many adorn plain hats that they bought in local stores. I even was given a shocking pink hat that I transformed into a red hat with purple trim with fabrics that I bought at Hancock's.

Yes, back in the dark ages when I was growing up, we all wore hats and gloves. Fortunately, I kept a pair of red mid arm gloves that I wear with my red hat garb. It is a bit warm in the summer to wear felt hats but straw and other light weight fabrics make it bearable. Try it, it's FUN.
    I did mention that I have a "Pink Hat" for my Red Hat days. Our group seems to have dropped off of the face of the earth. Also I can't afford the places that they all wanted to go and they always wanted to go during the day and at the time I had a job and was unable to attend.

I used to be the Activity Director at our local nursing home and we had our own Red Hat Society. We made hats for all of the ladies, both in red, purple, pink and lavender. (as we had some younger residents)We had a parade of the Hats. We had weekly meetings and made scrap books and planned luncheons. I let them choose the country location and the food. The best time we had was our luncheon in Italy. They enjoyed this very much. After I left I found out that the new activity director let the guys attend and they wore the hats as well. I later heard that the "society" fell to the wayside. I guess the ladies didn't like sharing their special time.

We used to have a Red Hat club, too, and it sort of fell by the wayside.

does anyone have a pattern for making a fascinator? Would love to give it try! Had to wear hat to church when younger. Mom said it was a great way to cover up a messy hair-do, just as gloves used to cover work-toiled and stained or rough hands. Jane

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    I'm thinking super glue!
    staples? lol

Quote Originally Posted by jane2
    does anyone have a pattern for making a fascinator? Would love to give it try! Had to wear hat to church when younger. Mom said it was a great way to cover up a messy hair-do, just as gloves used to cover work-toiled and stained or rough hands. Jane
    Just google "how to make a fascinator" and there are heaps of patterns/ideas. Fascinators are worn mainly at the races, weddings, sometimes for early evening parties. Not generally worn to church. Spotlight, Lincraft etc are stores here in Australia that stock all kinds of items suitable for crafting them.

Quote Originally Posted by MissSandra
    alot of the hats had combs on them that you slip into the hair , combs gawd i have not used one in years, when was the last time you used one?
    I still use combs especially to get the hair up & back when it's driving me crazy. Here's a photo of my grandmother's cousin who was a milliner and had a shop in Minnesota. High fashion what?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I loved the hats--used to wear one to church every Sunday. I do remember that some of them made my head hurt though.

The mauve one that Prince Andrew and Fergis daughter work was the worst hat I have ever seen. I love hats, but not the huge ones.

I saw an interview on TV the other day in the shop where the queen's hats are made. They only have I think about 3 employees. They make a lot of those odd hats. The queen's hats have to completely match the clothes she wears. What a business that must be! Wonder what they charge the queen for a hat? LOL

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreadHead
    Fergie's daughters had the worse looking hats. The blue and the beige.
    too true, they looked a figure of fun and the blue dress looked as tho it had been half tucked in her knickers!

Are you forgetting those thin elastics they used to put on hats years and years ago?
    They hurt and were torture to us little girls in our Easter bonnets!

Quote Originally Posted by jane2
    The only "Fascinators" I ever heard of were NOT hats.
    They were beautiful very loosly knitted long rectangles of cloudlike yarn that we wore draped over our head and around our shoulders, around 1947. Mostly pastel colors.
    Your mom was right!
    I wonder how the mix up happened? I think some fashion "expert" misspoke or a definition got mixed up by a computer. Look it up on Google. JP

Quote Originally Posted by Pins n' Ndls
    Quote Originally Posted by LoriEl
    Got me. But my mom said that the ladies were supposed to wear hats to the wedding so...
    And white gloves ?
    Yes, gloves to be proper, but not usually white, instead matching the outfit for ladies. For men, white military, like our marines.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieR
    Quote Originally Posted by Maureen's violets
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodee
    More - I think companies who started that "dress down Friday" did a lot of damage to society.
    Dodee
    I agree.
    I don't understand how that can possibly be true.
    When the companies first started it, it was neat, like jeans and a pullover knit shirt or a dress instead of a business suit....and was judged "more comfortable".

I spend summer weekends at the lake, so I wear hats all summer long. If I don't, that pretty color in my hair will go away..... My hats are wide & small brimmed, baseball caps, and my favorite is my open weave straw fedora that I bought in Panama in January 1975.

I think I heard one of the commentators say that the Queen requested that the women wear hats. With the exception of Fergie's daughters I loved seeing the hats. Hope it renews some interest in them in this country again.(other than baseball caps)please.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4