May I vent?!?!?!

Old 12-10-2010, 05:04 AM

It does seem like they all go at once, doesn't it? Every 5 years or so we have a Year of the Appliance; we bite our nails and cuss and stuff, but then we have new, reliable mechanicals for awhile. I wouldn't go back to renting for the whole world, even while I'm saying Bad Things about the previous owners of my place!
Old 12-10-2010, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

Aw, Hugs....I KNOW the feeling.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:16 AM

Best start praying the water pump doesn't go......... I had to have mine replaced on Wednesday.........very expensive!!! Tuesday.....at 3:00 AM my house filled with smoke..... The pump kicked on after a flush.....and wouldn't go off and the noise was deafening! I was terrified needless to say and trying to figure out how to move my hubby out (he is bedridden) since the door is in the hall area where the pump is...... he kept yelling to call 911. I was like a caged animal for a few seconds...I had to get a calm about me...... went down the hall popped open the door (stupid on my part if there had been flames) it was all smoke & no flames....Thank God!!! Sewwwwwwww I opened the back door, grabbed a few large towels and started to fan.

Be cautious when selecting someone that "knows" how to replace a pump..... their fees are brutal!!!

Good Luck for future happenings........ everything in my place is going down the tube......guess everything runs it course... BUT DANG...........does it all have to go out at once!!! Just keep smiling...as my Sis says...... they don't have debtors prison in the US. :) :) :)
Old 12-10-2010, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
Grann,
You are blessed. Even though you had so many things go wrong, you were able to get it repaired/replaced. We've had a few things that had to be done, as well. A car battery and refrigerator in the same day. I thank God that HE gave us the ability to be able to take care of them. I know that you are just venting and that you know you are blessed. Some times we have to voice our displeasures and our gratitude. GOD is GOOD.
Oh Yeah! I forgot about the truck battery! It died the day the refrigerator repairman was here!
Old 12-10-2010, 05:31 AM

Yep, home ownership is great. We have been in these new digs almost 7 years and totally gutted and replaced 3 bathrooms, installed a new one in the basement. Tore apart entire basement and redid, resided the barn. On the house, put on a new roof, windows and siding. Put asphalt down on rest of driveway which was rock, (our driveway is 1/4 mile long), installed city water, replaced pump on well and have a garage being built before DH retires! I finally got a new stove and dishwasher 3 weeks ago and when they installed it the glass door shattered into a million pieces. Now they replaced the door, but the inside enamel has two big chips in it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!! I'm afraid to install new counters now, which will be the final remodel. I think :roll: But I wouldn't trade my little 6 1/2 acres for anything!!!!!!! I love it here. Thank God DH does all the work, except the roof, siding and windows and oh yeah, the garage. But completely redid the baths himself...Gorgeous.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by just-sew-together
Best start praying the water pump doesn't go......... I had to have mine replaced on Wednesday.........very expensive!!! Tuesday.....at 3:00 AM my house filled with smoke..... The pump kicked on after a flush.....and wouldn't go off and the noise was deafening! I was terrified needless to say and trying to figure out how to move my hubby out (he is bedridden) since the door is in the hall area where the pump is...... he kept yelling to call 911. I was like a caged animal for a few seconds...I had to get a calm about me...... went down the hall popped open the door (stupid on my part if there had been flames) it was all smoke & no flames....Thank God!!! Sewwwwwwww I opened the back door, grabbed a few large towels and started to fan.

Be cautious when selecting someone that "knows" how to replace a pump..... their fees are brutal!!!

Good Luck for future happenings........ everything in my place is going down the tube......guess everything runs it course... BUT DANG...........does it all have to go out at once!!! Just keep smiling...as my Sis says...... they don't have debtors prison in the US. :) :) :)
Well, I am lucky that all my sons are within 10 minutes of me and are very handy. I also have a great neighbor across the street that helped me when my sump pump went south. I know I am lucky but sometimes.......
Old 12-10-2010, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by grendelskin
It does seem like they all go at once, doesn't it? Every 5 years or so we have a Year of the Appliance; we bite our nails and cuss and stuff, but then we have new, reliable mechanicals for awhile. I wouldn't go back to renting for the whole world, even while I'm saying Bad Things about the previous owners of my place!
We just had that last year! My DH was laid off from his job - I finally got my Soc Sec disability award that I had been fighting for for 4 years. Did the money go to the LA I had planned on buying or even to an upgrade to my Bernina? Nope. Instead we got a new dishwasher, new refridgerator, new microwave, and new A/C heatpump. The most ironic part of all this is we still haven't replaced the stove/range and that is my least favorite and oldest appliance in the house! Go figure!
Old 12-10-2010, 06:16 AM

Yep these things are really predictible. Just when you have empty pockets and no resources, that's the most probable....but I started here ten years ago with everything 35 and 40 yrs old except the paved driveway and new roof......any day now!
Old 12-10-2010, 06:35 AM

That sounds like my house before I sold it. I suggest you start looking at stoves. I had a 4 range one and liked it, but I knew it was old so I started looking around. Went to Sears and found the one. This one was 5 range. We are big into cooking. I saw the price going down quickly. When it was $199.00 I went to get it but it wasn't there. I almost cried. I asked for it and the guys opened a drawer (this is the stove only, no oven. the ovens were replaces already) and there it was, hidden because no one wanted it. They came up with a newer model and it was now reduced to $99.00. I was so happy! I took it immediately with the warranty of the new model. Two weeks later my old stove died and I was ready with the new one. If you look around before you need it you can find a much better deal than if you shop in a rush. Is hard to predict what will break next, but sometimes is just a matter of time and you know it.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

Grann, I also hear ya!! I hate spending money on boring things like garbage disposals, roofs etc- no fun at all!! :D