May I vent?!?!?!

Old 12-10-2010, 03:44 AM

Well, here I am again with things not going as they are supposed to....The joys of home ownership. I have been here 12 years now, have put on a new roof, a new furnace, turned the basement into a sewing studio, bought a new truck 5 years ago. Replaced the water heater, microwave, refrigerator (has been repaired twice in the last year), fixed toilets. Okay, now this year, new dishwasher, refrigerator repair just 3 weeks ago, new sump pump during the "tsunami", driveway resurfaced, new software for the sewing machine/computer (my treat to myself), then the dog repair (ACL surgery). Now guess what? Last night the garbage disposal took a dump. Sounded like it was grinding up Gus's bionic knee. Got a flashlight and saw what looked like a big chasm in the bottom of the grinder part, guess it ate itself. Went on the internet and ordered a new one from Sears. So today instead of sewing and putting up my Christmas decs, I get to go pick up the new garbage disposal. I even hate to say this, but all that's left to replace is the stove (probably 20 years old) and the well pump (who knows how old that is). So in addition to a bionic knee for the dog, I get a new garbage disposal for Christmas. My son is going to install it this weekend. YIPEE!!!!!
Old 12-10-2010, 04:04 AM

It does seem like everything happens at once. It's good your son is able to install it they charge a small fortune for labor nowadays.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:08 AM
pab

sounds like you have a new place now.You are fortunate you have a son who is handy.look at it this way,nothing else can go wrong now so you can sit and quilt....Good luck with the new installation and hoe it doesnt take son too long. pab
Old 12-10-2010, 04:10 AM
pab

Ssounds like you have a new place now.You are fortunate you have a son who is handy.look at it this way,nothing else can go wrong now so you can sit and quilt....Good luck with the new installation and hope it doesnt take son too long. sorry guess it is too early in the am for me double post pab
Old 12-10-2010, 04:10 AM

oh the joys of home ownership! hang in there!
Old 12-10-2010, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by gypsyquilter
oh the joys of home ownership! hang in there!
At this point all I can think of is that movie with Chevy Chase, "The Money Pit". But this year seems to have been just one thing after another. Especially the last month or so. It's a good thing I started on my Christmas quilts back in September.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:26 AM

Oh it only gets better! Once you've replaced everything, it starts all over again, because all your 'new' stuff has gotten old & will need repaired. We had a GE side by side refrigerator & had nothing but trouble with it. Then our dishwasher was made by GE & there was a recall on it (wouldn't hold the spot rinse) & guess what, my SN was 1 number off from the recall & it still to this day will not hold spot rinse. As far as the frig, GE offered a $400 rebate for replacements on the model I had but who wants to buy the same exact model when you've had so much trouble? Just enjoy the times inbetween! I call them 'breathers"
Old 12-10-2010, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Izaquilter
Oh it only gets better! Once you've replaced everything, it starts all over again, because all your 'new' stuff has gotten old & will need repaired. We had a GE side by side refrigerator & had nothing but trouble with it. Then our dishwasher was made by GE & there was a recall on it (wouldn't hold the spot rinse) & guess what, my SN was 1 number off from the recall & it still to this day will not hold spot rinse. As far as the frig, GE offered a $400 rebate for replacements on the model I had but who wants to buy the same exact model when you've had so much trouble? Just enjoy the times inbetween! I call them 'breathers"
I have always had Kenmores and had good luck. My fridge is 4 years old and has had the compressor replaced, the icemaker fixed twice, and the circulator motor replaced just 3 weeks ago. The repairman said you should never buy an appliance without getting extended warranties. I now have the extended for everything. Has paid for itself on the refrigerator alone. My washer and dryer are 12 years old so I figure they will be going soon. I just wish these things wouldn't happen all at once. We won't even talk about the "service on the human body".
Old 12-10-2010, 04:54 AM

Grann,
You are blessed. Even though you had so many things go wrong, you were able to get it repaired/replaced. We've had a few things that had to be done, as well. A car battery and refrigerator in the same day. I thank God that HE gave us the ability to be able to take care of them. I know that you are just venting and that you know you are blessed. Some times we have to voice our displeasures and our gratitude. GOD is GOOD.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:59 AM

I feel for you. I really do. Sounds like my place too. Every time my husband goes on deployment or training, things fall apart around here. He's been gone for a little over a month and I've already had my dad at my house twice fixing major issues (like a broken pipe). (My dad lives three hours away, so he gets a "daddy do" list when he drives up here. Fortunately for me, he is retired and he used to be plant engineer for Litton Data, so there is precious little he cannot fix.)

I've replaced the fridge, the freezer, the dishwasher, the garbage disposal, the bell housing for the sprinkler system (twice), a dripping faucet, a broken faucet, a furnace, done rewiring, rerouted drainage pipes, replaced water lines, and repaired toilets...

I shudder to think how worse it is going to get since I have only lived here five years. I think house painting and new carpets are the next to come.

Glad you have someone to help you do the fixing. A plumber wanted $163.00 to fix a water line into my fridge. While here, he punctured the freon line in my fridge. Out came another repair guy... this time, $390 to fix the fridge (that the plumber had to pay), then I just called my dad and he came up and fixed the water line for about $20.00 in parts. Needless to say, I didn't have to pay the plumber, but it really made me wish I was a plumber! What a lot of money for a "simple" job that took my dad less than an hour to do.