Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Maybe Grands need to help protect our kids >

Maybe Grands need to help protect our kids

Maybe Grands need to help protect our kids

Old 02-26-2018, 08:58 PM

Jan, thank you for the info. I read a article last week about a young man( in high school) in Virginia who invented a jam for classroom doors, they demo. this product on line and a big strong man could not bust through the door. This product was only $95. My daughter is a teacher and told her to get it approved in her school and I would buy one and I am sure I could help raise money to buy others. It is sad to say but my must get involved with our schools even if we do have children who are in school.
I was thinking about the inserts for backpacks these could be passed on from year to year, Even after a child graduates. Thanks for the web-site.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Faintly Artistic View Post
As a home school mom of 5 and wife of a former teacher, there are answers to the school shooting problem. Unfortunately, no one wants to address the REAL issues. Our society is deteriorating from the inside out and we will have to take some serious steps to turn that around. This country has glorified violence and fostered a deep underlying current of disrespect and rebellion and general disregard for life or others in the younger generation. At this point, I'm not sure if anything can turn the tide. Banning guns won't stop it nor will arming teachers. It has to start at the level of each person taking responsibility for themselves and how they raise their children...
This might get edited but I intend to shout-- AMEN!!!!! It's our society that has lost respect for not only each other but our own selves. These people shooting others have no respect for even themselves. Something is missing. We certainly don't need these assault weapons circulating but, even if they are banned, they still will be around and those who shouldn't have them will! I don't intend to be a religious "nut" but God and prayer has been ordered out of our schools and other such public places but look what filled that void. Our children are being bombarded with inappropriate media content from the time they are able to hear and see. Repeated coverage of the shootings tends to bring about copy-cat behaviors. Prime time tv and video games glorify immorality and violence--and it's detailed, not just suggested. Bring back some shows such as Andy Griffith, the Waltons and Little House that some lessons on right and wrong were presented! Our society legalized abortion--the taking of life--on simple request. Where does it all end?

Please don't arm the teachers. They already are trying to teach, feed, clothe and see that kids have clean bodies. They don't need to be the police, too! Some kids plainly need parents. There's more to parenting than conception!
Old 02-27-2018, 08:38 AM

As a home school mom of 5 and wife of a former teacher, there are answers to the school shooting problem. Unfortunately, no one wants to address the REAL issues. Our society is deteriorating from the inside out and we will have to take some serious steps to turn that around. This country has glorified violence and fostered a deep underlying current of disrespect and rebellion and general disregard for life or others in the younger generation. At this point, I'm not sure if anything can turn the tide. Banning guns won't stop it nor will arming teachers. It has to start at the level of each person taking responsibility for themselves and how they raise their children...
Well said!!
Old 02-27-2018, 08:53 AM

I totally agree!
Old 02-27-2018, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
This might get edited but I intend to shout-- AMEN!!!!! It's our society that has lost respect for not only each other but our own selves. These people shooting others have no respect for even themselves. Something is missing. We certainly don't need these assault weapons circulating but, even if they are banned, they still will be around and those who shouldn't have them will! I don't intend to be a religious "nut" but God and prayer has been ordered out of our schools and other such public places but look what filled that void. Our children are being bombarded with inappropriate media content from the time they are able to hear and see. Repeated coverage of the shootings tends to bring about copy-cat behaviors. Prime time tv and video games glorify immorality and violence--and it's detailed, not just suggested. Bring back some shows such as Andy Griffith, the Waltons and Little House that some lessons on right and wrong were presented! Our society legalized abortion--the taking of life--on simple request. Where does it all end?

Please don't arm the teachers. They already are trying to teach, feed, clothe and see that kids have clean bodies. They don't need to be the police, too! Some kids plainly need parents. There's more to parenting than conception!
Well said!! I encounter the demise of accountability in the dental field, it's the toothbrushes fault. No lie!
Old 02-27-2018, 09:09 AM

When we had a ban on assault weapons, these kinds of mass shootings went down. When the ban was lifted, the number of shootings went up again. Why is that so hard to understand.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
We desperately need to re-instate the Brady Act of 1983 but with a much longer waiting period and impose a ban on assault weapons. They are for combat and do not belong on our streets.
I agree. We need the Brady bill and stronger mental health programs.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
When we had a ban on assault weapons, these kinds of mass shootings went down. When the ban was lifted, the number of shootings went up again. Why is that so hard to understand.
First of all, I think it is a complicated problem with no easy answers.

Second, I also think that the NRA and some gun owners think it is a slippery slope. Outlaw one type of gun and before they know it, the second amendment will be repealed. In addition to the gun industry making money selling those kind of guns.

I am not in favor of repealing the second amendment but think there needs to be better background checks no loopholes and why does anyone need one of those kind of guns anyway? I've read reasons like culling wild boar herds. Really? No other way?
Read the article I posted in comment #14. That kid was severely troubled and his mother knew it and tried to get help.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:14 PM

I like many of you have small grands and great grands in school now that I worry about. I pray daily for our schools across America. I don't think the bullet proof guard would help . It would be useless against the kind of guns they are using or would not be near the child when needed. Oh, one more thing I live 12 miles from where those things are made and they are advertising them here for 149.00 to 199.00. I don't know the reasoning behind that cost. I don.t know what we will have to do to keep our children and teachers safe. There has to be something done and I don't think our elected officials are going to do much.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:23 PM

Ever have a teacher who didn't like you? I mean, really didn't like you and made no effort to conceal it? No to teachers having guns in class.