Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Maybe Grands need to help protect our kids >

Maybe Grands need to help protect our kids

Maybe Grands need to help protect our kids

Old 02-28-2018, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
But we have tried to ban drugs and that hasn't worked so far. Now some States are making them legal again.
Which drugs do you mean? The current opioid epidemic exists not because of banned drugs, but because certain pharmaceutical companies aggressively "marketed" their opioids. Many opioid addicts turn to highly destructive drugs such as heroin and cocaine once they are unable to get more opioids. Regarding marijuana, the patterns and problems associated with its use are very similar to those of alcohol and tobacco. If two of them are legal, why not the third? Especially since legalization means that the marketplace can be controlled.

Drugs are actually a good analogy for guns. Some are more lethal than others. Some need more regulation than others.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:39 AM

our great granddaughter in Mississippi got theirs last week. so sad to have to resort to that.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:30 AM

If it hadn't been easy to put his hand on a gun when this feeling overwhelmed him, the Florida killer might have calmed down or gotten help and a lot of people might be alive today. It's the ease of which the weapons are available that is a lot of the problem, IMO.

Watson
Old 02-28-2018, 11:36 AM

A building has no preference about who does or does not go into it. Even though I was not there, I can almost guarantee that God heard from plenty of students and teachers who have been in harms way during the spate of school shootings going on over the last few years.

God was also present and working through the actions of the heroes who saved others lives at the expense of their own.

God goes where people go. The building that the people are in is unimportant.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

I went to Catholic school until college and was unaware that they said prayers in public schools back in the day. How would you determine which ones? You couldn'texpect Jewish people to recite Christian prayers could you?
Separation of church and state was supposed to be the rule.
As for me, I said enough prayers in school to last me 10 lifetimes
Old 02-28-2018, 12:43 PM

Has anyone actually lifted Kevlar? Seems like a crime to make children carry a section and would up their fight or flight stress considerably
Old 02-28-2018, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
When they banned machine guns in the 1930's it didn't affect the second amendment at all. Same with the Brady Bill.
People are too afraid they will have their guns seized and the NRA makes sure they are.
I agree with this. The 2nd amendment will never be repealed, would not even come close to be repealed and probably would not be supported by even those who favor more gun control. This fear mongering is good business for the NRA. It's all about money. Too many people in that industry making to much money including I am sure, Wayne La Pierre, the head of the NRA.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I went to Catholic school until college and was unaware that they said prayers in public schools back in the day. How would you determine which ones? You couldn'texpect Jewish people to recite Christian prayers could you?
Separation of church and state was supposed to be the rule.
As for me, I said enough prayers in school to last me 10 lifetimes
Yes they could and yes they did. Each classroom had a King James Bible in it. We were ostracized for being "not Christian" so we played along to remove another source of misery. But still we could think of our own prayers while reciting the other.