Meet my new furbaby.....

Old 02-21-2013, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
Oh, and by the way, our vet said, in talking about our current pound pooch (who appears to be a cockapoo) that these days you can get genetic testing to find out what your mutt really is. We declined that option because it would have been $100, and it wouldn't make us love her any more or less than we do.
I'm so glad for you that you turned this down. DNA testing results on dogs is highly unreliable. I wish more vets would make this fact known. It's so expensive and people aren't getting what they think they are for all that money.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:03 PM

Ditter, your dog is absolutely gorgeous!! She looks more like a boxer/basenji cross to me, but that's neither here nor there -- she's lovely no matter what breeds make her up!!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:08 PM

Ditter - she is BEAUTIFUL. Thank you for adopting AND for taking a not a puppy age girl. As is pretty obvious with my name, Boxers are my babies. And having done Boxer rescue for over 18 years, I can tell you for certain, you have a diamond in the rough. As she becomes attached to you and part of your life, she will blossom. And you will see what we talk about that the rescues know what having a good loving home means. And they never take a home for granted. CONGRATS to you both. And be sure to keep us updated with her.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Suzette316 View Post
I'm so glad for you that you turned this down. DNA testing results on dogs is highly unreliable. I wish more vets would make this fact known. It's so expensive and people aren't getting what they think they are for all that money.
Yes, I should clarify that my vet was not actually advocating this. She was just saying it jokingly that if I really want to know... She probably has some clients for whom $100 would seem trivial enough that they might, in the same way they might go to a palm reader, for entertainment reasons. There's also a chance the test could pick up some genetic disease that could be helped if treated early. The science of this is probably still in its infancy. Someday soon there will no doubt be dating services where people have been screened so that they don't meet potential mates who have the same bad recessives. Dog breeders are already citing that sort of testing on their websites, for example, "Both parents genetically tested negative for hip dysplasia" or whatever. I don't know how reliable it is, but it probably helps their business.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:26 AM

Congrats! Many happy years for you both!
Old 02-24-2013, 03:05 PM

One of my cousins has a boxer/hound mix that she rescued - her dog looks quite a bit like your new furbaby, but hers is really HUGE! She is the sweetest dog ever, though, and thinks she weighs like 10 pounds - she's always trying to get closer to people. She'd be on laps if she could figure out how to get her big self up there. LOL!