Micro Chipping pets

Old 08-15-2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by teacherbailey
Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
Tink is chipped...but it is in the ex girlfriends name, because she worked at the place at the time. I don't know how to get that changed...if anyone does...could you please post it...
Contact the company that made the chip---your vet can scan it and tell you if you don't remember. It takes a bit to convince them that you are not now trying to have a stolen animal put in your name, but it's worth it.....
The vet will not be a problem, he has known Tink since she was itty bitty...the company could be a bit more interesting...
Old 08-15-2010, 05:37 PM

The shelter I used to work at microchipped as part of the adoption fee. They had the new owners fill out the microchip paperwork with the adoption paperwork and sent it in for the new owners. That way they knew for sure the chip was registered. They have switched to a different brand of chip now because of cost and I believe the owners now have to register it at a cost of $18 or the shelter registers it but at a lesser fee to the owners as they get a discount. The scanners now out can read ANY brand of chip. If the animal is taken to a shelter or vet, it is scanned and a number/letter combination reads out. They then call the company to find out who the animal belongs to. If a private party picks up the animal and sees the microchip notification tag on the collar, they can call the 800 number on the tag. The company will then call the owner, thereby not giving out personal info to strangers. Microchipping is a relatively cheap investment for ensuring our family member gets back to us. If your vet charges an exorbitant fee to microchip, call your local animal shelter or Humane Society. Often they will do it at a much lesser fee because non-profits get hefty discounts on the chips. If you need to change owner info or addresses, they usually charge a fee to change it but it is well worth it. Your animal shelter or vet should have contact info if you can't find your paperwork. Otherwise, try googling the company and their website should tell you what you need to do.
Microchips can migrate but if done in the universal spot between the shoulderblades, should embed there by scar tissue. Once in a while fresh chips will migrate out if not inserted deep enough but doesn't happen often when an experienced person does it. It does hurt while it is injected as the needle bore is fairly large but it's over in a second and lasts a lifetime. I am a big proponent of microchipping and believe that it should be as routine as vaccinations and spaying/neutering. It also shows up on XRay!
Old 08-15-2010, 06:36 PM

WHOA! There are some advantages to living in the sticks in hot, humid, steamy Florida. My 3 dogs and 1 cat are chipped; all done at separate times. The 3 dogs were $25 each plus $12 to register the tag. Kitty was $25 and that included the registration; I have the paperwork on all pets. What an incredible difference in price. Of course, if one is lost or stolen (which I had a dog stolen with no chip), almost any price would be worth it!

Josi in FL
Old 08-15-2010, 07:07 PM

Over the last 10 years or so I've sold about 50 basenji puppies, and they do not leave this house without being chipped first. Years ago I was a vet tech so inserting the chip myself was easy. Being chipped, with me registered as the implanter, means no pup I produced will end up unknown at a vets or in rescue, without eventually being identified as a pup from here. It's the least I can do, they did not asked to be born, it was my idea.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:39 PM

In Australia your cats and dogs MUST be registered with the local council. They must also be micro-chipped. The chipping is done at the local vet who then gives you a certificate for the local council, and also sends the micro-chip details to a central registry.

When I brought my 2 cats to Qld from Victoria, I had to contact the central registry to change their address details, and a few years later let them know that Zoe, my 20 year old chinchilla puss had passed away, so they could remove her from their registry. Digby, the pup, was chipped and chopped as the vet called his castration and micro-chipping when he was 6 months old.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:23 PM

When my Texas daughter's dog got out of the fenced back yard
while she was at work, someone found the dog and took her to
the rescue group. Daughter had forgotten to change the phone
on the chip information, as she no longer had a land phone. But
she had put me down as secondary call, so the Killeen, Texas rescue group called me in the central valley of California, to tell
me that Sadie was lost and where was her owner.
I had to call the school and daughter ran out and picked up the dog. She changed the phone number on the chip records to her cell phone then.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:09 AM

I asked about microchiping with some sort of GPS tracker built in but my vet didn't know of any.
If my dog takes off where will I find him? I would have to pray that someone who is honorable will find him and check.\caro(ceegee)
Old 08-16-2010, 08:10 AM
Lyn

Most people are pretty honest. If they take the animal to the vets and mention they found him chances are the vet will scan them. Just wish there was a universal scan but some vets carry several scans. If your animal escaped near your home and you had your pet chipped locally then you will probably not have a problem. We go through this all the time when we find a friendly cat or not so friendly we always scan them first. Makes it easier if they are chipped.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Power Poster

My cat and dog are chipped