Midnight Serenade

Old 06-23-2015, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

Oh goodness. I've gone to sleep with crickets outside my window but not a bird. I do like waking up to them though.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

I have lived the last 30 years in Orange and Riverside county and have never heard any bird sing at night. I did have a small brown bird that would talk to me thru the window in the morning.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:52 AM

We sent him your way! Last year he sat outside OUR window at the exact same time! We now know where the title of the book To Kill a Mockingbird came from!!
Old 06-23-2015, 09:01 AM

The only thing I have ever heard that will discourage a mockingbird is to shoot it. That being waaaaaaaaay outside of my list of choices, maybe some earplugs would help. Good luck, Oh, and try to enjoy one of Gods wonderful creatures Maybe put out a loud recording of a cat mewing
Old 06-23-2015, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by shasta5718 View Post
I wish I had just a bird. They put a train station just behind my house and they run 22 hours a day except Sunday. Then they start again at 11pm. They run one each way every half hour.
Shasta we moved to our present location 12 years ago, there is a train station across the water that amplifies all sounds, not only we could hear the trains but they tooted loudly approaching and leaving the station. I can tell you that after a couple of months, I couldn't hear the trains anymore unless I concentrated on it. There's hope.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:02 PM

You can hear a mockingbird here, http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/N...ingbird/sounds

Can you even hear it through a closed window?
Old 06-23-2015, 02:43 PM

I hear your pain....We have some loud bird that thinks 4:00 a.m. is wake-up time for everybody. Then, when the sun does come up around 6:00 a.m, he shuts up (I call it a "he"...it squawks so much it must be a "she"). My DH just mentioned how we're gonna have to close the window cause the birds get me up, which gets him up, and then the whole dang house is up.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:09 PM

Yes, he/she comes through loud and clear even though the windows are closed. Guess I'll just have to get some ear plugs as suggested. Thanks you all, now I know all about the mockingbird. %;-)
Old 06-23-2015, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Elise1 View Post
You can hear a mockingbird here, http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/N...ingbird/sounds

Can you even hear it through a closed window?
I got the link up but can't hear anything and I have the sound turned all the way up. I had a bird the other night that ran it's beak for hours. It sound like a mother bird preparing the nest and the dad brought the wrong twig and put it in the wrong place.. aaaarrrghh.
I'm sure if I shot at it I would have been arrested for just trying to scare it away.
It must have known what was in my heart as it didn't do a repeat performance the next night.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sew Krazy Girl View Post
What in the world? There is a very loud bird that sings outside my bedroom window. That's nice - except it's at 2-4 AM. What kind of crazy bird does this? He sings for hours at a time, for goodness sake! Yes, he keeps me awake. I live in So. Calif. and am not familiar with song birds. I only know canaries. Does anyone know what kind of bird sings at night? He is very melodic. I have no idea what he looks like because it's dark out and he sits up in a tree.

I know there's nothing I can do, but it would nice to know what kind of bird he is. Any ideas?
Not an idea of what the bird is, but could you attach old CD's hung from strings to the branches to scare him away, or are the branches to high? I put them in my garden to keep them out because they eat my plants. If works for me, hopefully might work for you.
Ellie