Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Miffed at the UPS Guy

I was supposed to get my quilting book yesterday but it wasn't delivered. I have my deliveries sent to the office so I will get them and someone doesn't take them off my porch.

Anyway the notes on the website said our office was closed for the holiday. That was an out and out lie - we were open all day.

It isn't the first time this has happend. One time UPS said it delivered my package but it wasn't delivered until the next day - I guess they wanted to keep up their time schedule on paper but not in reality.

I'd file a written complaint. Since it's an office, you can prove it was open.

it's because ups fills each driver's truck in the a.m. and the guy goes. his day doesn't end until his truck is empty. that's why you sometimes get a delivery at 8:30 p.m. and that's why they leave a package on the porch and keep going. they want to see their families again sometime.

if the driver is pooped, he's pooped. if he can't say he delivered everything, he can't come back to the garage. they are asking the impossible of their drivers. don't blame the driver. blame their system.

also, they pay so low that often the jobs are filled by college kids, and if they don't empty those trucks, they don't make their classes. ups tells them it's 4 hours of work, but if they deliver everything and wait to get signatures, it takes forever. i don't think they hire full-time anymore to save on benefits. at least here, where there are colleges. for the drivers, it's almost a lose-lose situation.
    but it's a job.

Blog Entries
    I was expecting a package to be delivered by UPS before Christmas. I was looking out our front window and saw the UPS truck go flying by. I went to the website to check on my order. It said delivered at XXX time, which was just minutes before. I was ticked! The UPS guy did not deliver my package until the next day.

Somewhere near the water in beautiful Michigan
    butterflywing, my brother is a UPS driver, and I have to say that they make great $$.

I think she needs to call and complain to the company, that is, if she can get to a human. Most of their lines are auto-answered and you can't get through to a real human.

That being said, if a driver returns to the garage with packages undelivered, he needs to show why they were not delivered. There are plenty of reasons why the packages might not have been delivered (building burned down, signature required but no one available, for instance). Also, due to the holiday, a "substitute" driver may have taken that route that day and was unfamiliar with the location.

At any rate, UPS does make every effort to insure the efficient delivery of packages. They know that in this market, if they can't deliver as promised their customer base will migrate to another carrier. So they want to keep you happy.

I say reach a live person and if you don't get satisfaction, go up the chain of command until you do. And the next time you see the UPS guy, I'd recommend that you say hello, engage him in a short conversation and explain how disappointed you were that your package was not delivered on time as indicated in the delivery confirmation you had received. Tell him/her you know that he has a tough job, but you would appreciate the same courtesy that he gives to the big companies like IBM, GM, and the like. Be pleasant and smile. His is a tough job; cut him some slack. Be firm but fair. I'll bet you get better delivery next time.

Sorry you were disappointed.

sorry this happened to you! my mom is a secretary at an elementary school and she just LOVES her UPS and FEDEX men!!lol. I think it doe shave a lot to do with saying hello, like Odessa said be nice but firm. she also deals with them often. as to why they lied that was not very nice at all!! maybe when the driver comes in you can ask him what happened and maybe if he is the regular driver even. hope you get your book and better service next time!

I didn't really care that it was delivered one day later than scheduled but it made me really wonder about him since he lied we were not open. I work downtown Seattle in an office complex. It is not a large building there are only 12 floors with a couple of companies on each floor. We take up the entire 9th and 10th floor of this building so saying we were closed was a lie. I think he found the package when he got back to the loading docks and just filled in the blanks. I did end up calling UPS and telling them we were open and they did appologize.

Now the UPS guy that delivers to my apartment complex rocks.

I agree with Odessa Quilts. I own a "The UPS Store". All the drivers we deal with do their darndest to get everyone their packages on time. Most of our drivers don't even stop for lunch.

If you have a complaint or question call 1-800-833-9943 and hit "0" until you reach an operator. Make sure you have your tracking number as nothing can be done without it.

well atleast the one who delivers to your apt. is great!! because I wouldn't want to be on the route for the one who sucked!!lol

The UPS drivers in our area are really good too, however I know on Holidays they have modified delivery/pickup schedules, some holidays they only deliver RED and don't do pickups.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    it's because ups fills each driver's truck in the a.m. and the guy goes. his day doesn't end until his truck is empty. that's why you sometimes get a delivery at 8:30 p.m. and that's why they leave a package on the porch and keep going. they want to see their families again sometime.

if the driver is pooped, he's pooped. if he can't say he delivered everything, he can't come back to the garage. they are asking the impossible of their drivers. don't blame the driver. blame their system.

also, they pay so low that often the jobs are filled by college kids, and if they don't empty those trucks, they don't make their classes. ups tells them it's 4 hours of work, but if they deliver everything and wait to get signatures, it takes forever. i don't think they hire full-time anymore to save on benefits. at least here, where there are colleges. for the drivers, it's almost a lose-lose situation.
    but it's a job.

Don't know what the pay scale is for the drivers in your state, but if it's that bad maybe they should come to NC. Here the drivers make GOOD $$$$. Also the college kids are not the drivers, they are the ones that wash the trucks in the garage area ~ and they make well above min wage too!!

Blog Entries
    Sorry that happened to you. We don't have any drop boxes or UPS stores anywhere close to us. I had to send my camera in for repair and they sent me a UPS pickup for it. I called UPS to have them come pick it up and told them that when they delivered something for me would be ok (I get lots of deliveries)..they told me they would charge me $10.00 bucks for it. NOT for the shipping, but for the pickup! :evil: :evil: :evil: Great way to loose customers IMHO

Blog Entries
    yes but leaving a package on the porch and running off before you can even see what it is, or even know it's there is irritating. i know they rush these guys but it's still frustrating.
    i got two boxes, one larger than the other and it turned out the company we placed an order with had sent another order, a double one! i wrote refused on the box and took it to work.
    my UPS guy said it would just be delivered back to me. sigh.
    i took it to a UPS store and they gave me a receipt. - yes, it was delivered right back to me!!!! why? should i have written return to sender? jeesh. the company said no charge was placed on my credit card for the second order and they had better be right!!!
    and charging for pick-ups. we send stuff out all the time through UPS and Fedex. from the office that is.
    some States may be different.

That is really a shame. I'm glad you let someone know about it. Our UPS driver is wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Piedmont Quilter
    Don't know what the pay scale is for the drivers in your state, but if it's that bad maybe they should come to NC. Here the drivers make GOOD $$$$. Also the college kids are not the drivers, they are the ones that wash the trucks in the garage area ~ and they make well above min wage too!!
    here they hire kids to drive. i used to have a great ups-er that waited for me to sign and he often came at 8 - 9 pm. he told me that his day ended when the truck was empty. when he retired i got a, i think he's 12 years old. he leaves it, rings the bell and before i get there he's dust. i always wonder what would happen if i ever said i didn't get it, but in this economy, i don't want to cost him his job.

I'm still simmering from last week. I sent a box of our clothes to my DD's to avoid carrying them on the plane (and paying $$). I took the box to the UPS Store- I KNOW it is not owned by UPS. The nerdy little man (who I have had to deal with for the last 3 years) says freight- I say ground. OK- I expect it there in 1 week or less- as in EVERY single time I have sent items to DD. (I have an account through UPS with a substantial discount that's why I was sending it- to SAVE $$)

Get to my vaca- no clothes! Check tracking- they don't know where they are- lost track for 2 days- shows nerdy little man did not put on truck for 2 days. grrrr. anyway- when they arrived on Mon- I am due to leave on Tues. I slap a return label on them and we'll see how long it takes to get them back.

Up side- bought some clothes for me and hubby- he really needed new jeans. But wait until I have to talk to nerdy little man- I am choosing my words nicely. Kill them with kindness. Actually I want to say- I do my job in a more than timely manner to keep my customers- maybe you should too!

(He is the reason I tell people there's someone out there for everyone- if he can find a wife, anyone can find someone.)

Nerdy little man- grrrrr.

if they don't deliver in a timely manner, do you have recourse?

I live behind ranchgate and UPS has thrown packages over the gate. They do not have cellphones in truck to let me know they are coming. Fedex drivers do. They call me and tell me they are on the way and I go meet them at the gate. They are also cheaper with ground delivery. Guess who I use?

I am sorry that happened to you BarbM. That is uncalled for by the guy in your UPS Store. Since he is a Franchise there are recourses to deal with him as well.

Most of us who own UPS Stores work hard to make sure our customers are happy and keep coming back.

Blog Entries
    I have a friendly always on time ups driver. There was one day we did have a slight disagreement. One day he handed me my package and told me he hoped I didn't mind him signing my name. Yes I did. Wonder what he was he going to do with that signiture required package?

I send out about 20 packages a month- I drop them off there every night on the way home.

I just don't care for the attitude he gives me- maybe because I have my own account and I don't pay him, he doesn't care if he helps me. The other girl is so sweet and so nice, such the opposite.

Our delivery guy is awesome- Allen talks to the girls in my office and when the weather's bad I tell him to leave hubby's boxes at the office so he doesn't go down our drive (700') and get stuck.

I have had problems with Fed Ex saying that the package was undeliverable. Of course it was quilting items and fabric and I was so disappointed. It took them 4 days to get it to me after I complained, so that didnt do much good. If I did something like that at my job I would be held accountable.

We have had a business for almost 23 years and have had UPS pick up almost the whole time and in three different areas. all but about 2 or 3 have been truly great and very accomadating to our needs for early deliveries and later pick ups. They are polite and very efficient. Early delivery means before 1:00 PM, late pick up means before 5:00 PM. UPS Stores are not really UPS. We pay a weekly pick up charge for this service, it has gone up so high it is getting terrible. We also pay a fuel surcharge no matter if gas is up or not. We aren't wild about the company, the guys are great. The UPS Store talked about earlier on here, probably waits for a big load before having them picked up.

So I'm happy now- the local rep stopped by to say they put a drop box right up the street! (They were trying to get 1 here at our office, but we don't have enough road frontage to do it)

I will still have to take boxes, but I will time it to drop them in another UPS Store or take them to the terminal.