Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Missing Mom

I also was very close to my mom. She died when I was 29 yrs old. I am 62 yrs old now.Like you said there are a handful of days in the year that I really seem to miss her more than the other days. This is one of them.Sorry to say but you will all always miss your mama.That's just part of life.I was so lucky to have such a wonderful mom.We sure had alot of fun together in the years we did have together.Happy Mother's day to all of you even if you are not a mom,you at least had one.Mary

PS your mama was a beautiful lady.Mary

I can't talk about it----I miss her so much

Thank you for sharing the wonderful tribute to your Mom.
    I have a difficult time with Mother's Day. My family helps to fill the hole in my heart that she left when she passed away.
    Margie,my Mom, has been gone for almost 12 years(1999). I got to have her for 68 years; I was 42 then; she had 2 aneurysms in her brain and fell ill and went into a coma.
    I talk to her all the time and she visits me in my dreams sometimes too. I do believe that our deceased family members are with us and hear us talking to them.
    I have a wonderful husband and 2 lovely children. They got me a dozen red roses and 2 funny cards today.
    Sharon W.

I know the feeling also. My Mom was my best friend, it has been 10 years and I still have a hole in my heart. I started quilting a few years ago on Mom's old 401 singer. I feel her with me everytime I set at that machine and hear her say just take it easy you can fix any mistake. Mom made all our clothes (5 girls) when we were little. Money was very hard to come by but we always had a new dress for the holidays. I love and Miss my Mom so much.

Oh, I know how painful this day is for us who have lost our MOMs. Mine has been gone 11 years now and i would hope and pray that she is watching me every day. I know she is in a better, beautiful place free from pain and hurt. This makes it a little easier. And next month we go thru it again for FATHERs day. But somehow we make it thru by the grace God gives us every Day.
    Hugs to all that are in the same situation. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a lovely thought. You know, she has, in a way, been there for you all this time. Look how you think about her and know what an influence she has had on your life. I'm sure she would be very proud of you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbiSue
    Mama passed on Mother's Day 2009. She was an Alzheimer's victim. I miss her more than I can ever say. She taught me so much.... how to be a lady who was not afraid to get my hands dirty helping others. The key work she taught was Lady. Never heard a nasty word pass her lips. Saying all this, I'll love her to my dying day but wouldn't bring her back in the condition she was in for any price. I can't bring her back but I can go to her. God bless you and all the other mothers this Mother's day 2011.
    I think we are sharing the same pain. My Mother passed April 6, 2007 at the age of 91. She was also an Alzheimer's
    victim. Still ask her opinion on things when I have problems. Talk to her even when I don't. The sweetest little person I have ever known, loved by so many people. She had the kindest heart and only saw good in everyone she met. Agree about not bringing her back under the AZ cloud that enveloped her. We can go to them. God Bless Mothers nationwide.

Blog Entries
    I definitely share your same feelings quilting grannie. It was Oct. of 1990 when my mother passed away. I was a bit older than you when she passed away, as were my children. They had many wonderfuld summers and years with her. Our daughter was a Sr. in H.S. and son was a freshman. However my youngest niece was only 4 so she never really knew mother oldest niece and nephew were both married with children at the time.
    We were the best of friends, and shared so much, there is just my brother and I, and not having a sister mother and I were very close. We often called each other when we had questions about sewing or cooking. I feel like I was cheated of so many wonderful years, and would love for her to see my quilts and other things that I have accomplished since her passing, but then who am I to feel that way and have felt guilty about that when God has His own plan. We had daddy until 2004, now there is just my brother and I and we have always been so close, we often talk about what wonderful parents we had.
    I too have a very hard time with Mother's Day and now Father's Day.
    My husband lost his dad five months after my mother passed away and his mother three years ago now.When they were all living I bought all cards and gifts, but just couldn't anymore after mother passed away.

For about three years I would think about something and think I need to call mother and tell her, then reality would sit in. Even now I still find myself wishing I could call and tell her somthing. I talk to her and to daddy a lot. I still think of them every day, I guess I always will.

But I'm like you I finally had to realize that I'm the mother now and also wonder how my kids will deal with the same thing. I'm the Aunt that my youngest niece calls, her mother is still living, but walked out on her and my brother when she was 14. Niece has been married for 3 yrs now and doesn't have much to do with her mother.

I have had a good day though, I had a early morning call from my brother, wishing me a Happy Mother's day, a beautiful card and phone call today from my son, he lives about 500 miles away, and never misses sending a card and calling. A short but enjoyable visit and a beautiful amethyst geode pendant from by daughter, she lives 100 miles away. I can't forget a dozen beautiful roses from DH.

We will never ever quit missing our parents, time eases the pain, but it will always be there, especially on certain occasions.
    Sorry for the long post, but somtimes we just have to get things like this off our chests, or at least I do, I am one that just can't cry,wish I could it would help more I think, and this is how I deal with my pain by talking about it.

But wishing all who have lost their mothers and all who still are lucky enough to have their mothers with them, a late but beautiful Mother's Day and many many more to come. Cherish every day and year you have her with you. (((Hugs))) to all Gerbie

What a wonderful tribute!!! To all the moms here, Happy Mothers Day!! I thank God every day for the time I had with my mom, she was a treasure, I miss her terribly daily....

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    To all the mothers on the board - Happy Mother's Day.

There are a few times a year I really get to missing my mom and Mother's day is one of them. She has been gone for 21 years already.
    She has missed so much of my life. I was only 33 when she died, in the midst of starting a new life. She knew and loved the man in my life, but never saw us get married. My kids were blessed in having spent a couple of weeks for a few summers with her until she was too ill to handle them. I am grateful for that.

We moved to TN after she passed, so she never saw our home here.
    She never got to see that I became a quilter and that a lot of what she taught me about sewing I use today, and really appreciate her teaching me to sew.
    She never got to see my kids as married people. Never met my grandkids.

But, she will always be with me in my heart. I am not be able to call her or go visit her. I wonder if she knows how often I 'talk' to her.

And it is at the times that I miss her and want to talk to her and ask her things that I realize.... I'm THE mom now!
    And then I begin to wonder how will my kids remember me and feel about me when I am no longer here for them?

Happy Mother's Day Mom! Thank you for all that you were to me and to so many other people who loved you. We miss you and love you.
    Beautiful tribute to your mom. You are a lucky woman.

I was blessed to have my mother for 61 years. She died on May 5, 2005, just a few days before Mother's Day. I miss her so much. Six years have passed, but very few days go by that I don't think about her. Sometimes for just a brief moment I'll think that I need to call and check on Mother, then just as quickly I realize I can't. My husband lost his mother on April 14 of this year. Today was a hard day, but we were blessed to have both our children and all our grandchildren except the youngest with us for supper.

Blog Entries
    Lost my mom Feb 14, 2004, Not a day goes by that she is always on my mind, Miss her so much. She was 93 and had a long and healthy life. Lost one of my sisters 5 months later with colon cancer. That was a tough year, so grieved for them till I found this board last year and started wanting to quilt again. So Thanks to all of you for getting me back to quilting. My mom is right there beside me everyday. She would be proud of the quilts I have done. She had quilted all her life.

Blog Entries
    I am adopted & often wonder if my real mom ever thinks about what she gave up...espically on mother day.
    Oh not to worry, I have always had the attitude she had a choice as she was involved in my life until I had my 1st daughter then decided that would be it. I was blessed w/ wonderful adoptive parents.

My Mom will be gone 10 years this June. It was the worst time of my life (well, right now not so great either). We were moving to Fl. from Mass, I just turned 50, my 2 older children did not move with us and I lost my Mom about a week before we moved. She went into hospital not feeling well and never came out. I miss her so much. I talk to her all the time and tell her to come back here to fold my whites.

Blog Entries
    I have read all the postings here, I want to thank everyone for sharing. There are some wonderful tributes here. I lost my own wonderful mother back in 1993 to cancer. She was only 59 at the time, I had such a hard time for the longest time, I don't think a single day passes without thinking of her, her gifts of friendship, laughter, her very strong love of her family. Anyway I hope you all tried to have a good mother's day. :):):)

Happy belated Mother's Day to each of you!

I lost Mama in 2009 and my brother in 2006. Miss them both so much. I often want to call them and ask them something, but remember as I pick up the phone that they aren't there. It was really hard this Mother's Day. But I know they are waiting in heaven with Daddy for me.

May God bless each Mother.

Blog Entries
    I have been sentimental on Mother's Day each year as Mom has been gone 49+ years. I was 16 at the time and Dad was a wonderful single parent. DH lost his mother when he was 8 and doesn't have many memories of her at all. The father of my children pulled something really nasty on Mother's Day a few years before we divorced. So, I have had ups and downs this week.

This afternoon when I wanted a hug so badly, I gave DH a hug and thanked him for being such a kind and thoughtful person. I didn't pull him down and I got a wonderful warm hug in response.

Yes, I believe our loved ones are with us in spirit and I talk to Mom and a special aunt regularly. I am who I am because my parents had such a positive influence on my life. However, I am my own person and my children are individuals, as well.

I've heard from my children. They are truly blessings. Then, out of the blue, I received a warm Happy Mother's Day from DH's son. I don't think of myself as a stepmom, but as his father's wife as the young man was on his own before we married. DH and I have been married for ten years and being greeted by his son was very special.

I choose to keep and or make the warm memories and delete the crap and loneliness. May God bless you and those you love. This board has helped me grow and heal. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Like so many of you I lost my Mother many years ago, I was 34. My daughter was born after she was gone so never had time with her Grandmother. She dearly loved her grandkids and made them feel special. I got my love of sewing from her. She made all of our school clothes.

Some were from cotton feed sacks, but one could not tell it by looking. She would see a ready made garment in a store or store window, sketch it when she got back to the car, go home and put patterns together and made it for one of us three girls. She added trim, etc as needed. We always got a lot of compliments on our clothes and people wanted her to sew for them.

On this particular Mother's Day I thought of her, but not with the sense of loss I usually feel on this day, because I spent time with a dear 89 year old friend. Her DD, my SIL, is in the hospital, in another state, after some major surgery. Her other DD, my GD and I went to lunch together and spent part of afternoon together. That made this day special for me and I came away feeling blessed to have an opportunity to make her day somewhat better. Also,she loves having my four year old GD around and GD loves talking to her and entertaining her.

My daughter, son-in-law, and GD took me out for evening meal. Yes, GD got to go second time. An all around good day for me.

Almost 16 years since my mom left us. She was only 57. I don't think you ever get over the death of your mother - I miss her something fierce.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thank you all for sharing your thoughts, memories and stories. It has meant a lot to me to have you all here as part of my extended family.
    I did not receive a call from either of my kids yesterday. Just a short message on fb from my daughter. It was a rough day for me all the way around except for the time I had with DH. We went to church then out to dinner, then he put up more racks for more fabric, then we went out for ice cream. DH felt bad that my kids didn't call and sent a hint on his fb post late yesterday afternoon.
    This morning my daughter called me to wish me a Happy Belated Mother's Day.

Today is a new day. Time to go quilt. :)

Blog Entries
    This is my first Mother's Day without my Mom and like you feel the loss everyday. Like you I worry who will remember my Mom and now who will remember me. But I do know first hand of when my Grandmother passed away (my Mom's Mom) I was 12 and it still seems so recent and I miss my Grandmother all the time. She was the perfect Grandmother that everyone should have and hope I can come close to her for my Grandchildren. I can only hope my Mom knows I talk to her everyday and even started a journal to her. Can't write anymore............

Here's a pic of my Mom, taken probably around the early to mid 90s, celebrating one of her 86 birthdays. She passed away in 2000 after welcoming her first great granddaughter (my first grandddaughter) and congratulating my oldest daughter on her second wedding. She never ever complained about her aches and pains, or the fact that she had deteriorating eyesight, and dramatic health problems.

She was always in love with her family and the best mother, grandmother and great grandmother anyone could ask for. I know that she and my hubby are having raw clam-eating competitions and that she has fallen back into the habit of calling my Dad "Red" because of his carrot-top red hair. I miss them all, but know that we will all be reunited one day. What a party that will be!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your Mother was beautiful. I think you look like her. Happy Belated Mother's Day to you.

Hugs,
    Angie

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AngieS
    Your Mother was beautiful. I think you look like her. Happy Belated Mother's Day to you.

Hugs,
    Angie
    Thanks.
    My daughter looks like me too - so everyone says. I think she looks like my mother.... ;) I'll have to post pics of her and I sometime.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast