Mockingbird Mortality?

Old 06-08-2013, 06:04 AM

I had to stop while driving yesterday, because a mockingbird was in the middle of the road, fighting with a very large crow. Craziest thing I have ever seen. The used to attack me when I had the nerve to pass by "their" tree to hang out my wash.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:59 PM

We don't have mockiingbirds, but we do have crows, and I wish I could commit crowslaughter, but they're too smart to fall for human skulldggery! They scream at me when I walk to the mailbox and whenever I go outside. I yell back, "It's my yard! And I was here before you were!" It's true. They didn't move into our trees until about 15 years ago when our stupid neighbors (they really were on the dim side) put meat scraps in their compost pile. We tried to make them understand that meat should not go into compost, but they wouldn't listen. It didn' take long for the crows to arrive, and they never left, even after Mr. and Mrs. Dimwit moved away.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:22 PM

Oh, yeah, those mockers are territorial. We have one that chases the crows away. Good for it! Once I heard the "hit" as the mockingbird hit the crow in the backside. OW! I have also seen them chase HAWKS! Gutsy little things. Their song can be beautiful or ugly. Eight months pregnant and one took up residence. The thing had an ugly noise...and knew when I got up in the AM. It would not stop...even with the drapes closed and tiptoeing...it knew when I got up! My sympathies to those of you who have to listen to the ugly noise instead of the pretty song.
To scare a crow away, clap your hands...they don't like the sharp sound.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

I love to hear them. Long ago , one would sit on top of a city light pole near my home and sing well into the long hot summer nights, serenading the neighborhood to sleep and welcoming our morning. One of the most joyful sounds a city can offer.
I do miss hearing them.
peace
Old 06-08-2013, 03:43 PM

You think Mockingbirds are loud, wait till you hear a Grackle. We have never had them in this town until this year. Wish they would go back home. They are so loud my next door neighbor goes out with a small BB gun every night before he goes to bed to try to chase them off. But they just come right back.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:15 PM

We don't have mockingbirds here, but the starlings are awful. They like to roost in the 2nd floor dryer vents of our neighbors, and they poop everywhere. As you can imagine, the dryer vent nest is a horrible fire hazard, and most homeowners have taken steps and installed cages over the vents. There are a few who don't seem to care, though, and I worry about what will eventually happen.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:22 AM

When I worked the 11-7 shift, a co-worker and I would break in the atrium and would count the different calls mockingbirds make, we got up to twenty different calls one morning...I love listening to them...
Old 06-09-2013, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
When I am down south I love hearing them sing at night. So pretty.

Unlike up north, where you might get a Whippoorwill perched outside your BR window at dawn and your thoughts turn to bird murder.....
Yes, that's true. They drive my DH crazy.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:08 AM

I don't think we have mockingbirds, we do have crows, which we have learned to appreciate since we got our chickens since they will warn when a hawk is in the area and even chase it.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:17 AM

Personally I would rather listen to a mockingbird all night than traffic, sirens, dogs or my neighbors extremely loud Harley at 5am! LOL