Mockingbird Mortality?

Old 06-09-2013, 03:25 PM

I put up nest platforms under the eaves for the phoebes, nice and cozy. They love them. Well this year I am painting the house. They still have babies in the nest and won't feed them when I am on that side. So I paint a little, then go to the other side to paint, then come back and paint a little more. I think they are almost ready to leave, I can see their little beaks and they look almost grown.

If they are so upset by PEOPLE why the heck do they want to nest around my house?? There is a BIG abandoned barn just down the street.

I do love all birds, even the crows around here sound neat, almost like people.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:44 PM

My sister has 2 mockingbird that each have a "cat" to chase. One lives in a tree and chases the Momma cat and the other one lives in a shed and it chases the other cat....if one chases the "wrong" cat, the other mockingbird will chase the other mockingbird away. Reminds me of "he is my brother and I can hit him, but you can't hit him because he's my brother", lol!
Old 06-12-2013, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
When I am down south I love hearing them sing at night. So pretty.

Unlike up north, where you might get a Whippoorwill perched outside your BR window at dawn and your thoughts turn to bird murder.....
Had to laugh at this one! I've had that thought, lol.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:04 PM

I haven't heard a whipporwill in years, and I miss them! I prefer the birds at any hour to my several foolish neighbors with their ATV's. jetskis, motorcycles, and broken muffler trucks. Not so fond of the crows since seeing them raid
robin and catbird nests, making off with the newly hatched chicks dangling from their beaks! I tried to rescue a fledgling robin from the mob (called a "murder of crows") but I was too late.